Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need design help for my new living room
miranda_leigh
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just purchased our 1st home, so we'll be buying new furniture. I'm torn on what to do with the living room in terms of style and furniture, mainly seating.The room has beautiful two-story windows, but is quite small. The entire main floor is open concept, and this living room will be where we entertain, watch TV, etc. I love the idea of a white faux-leather sectional to contrast with the dark floors, but I'm not sure if white would be practical, since this sofa will be frequently used. Any ideas on what would work well with this space?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
A lighter brown sectional would be more practical than white and providing some contrast with the dark floors.

January 29, 2013 at 6:50pm     
miranda_leigh
Great idea, I love the one in the photo. Thanks!
January 29, 2013 at 6:58pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd choose a black leather sofa, and accent it with white and colored pillows. Under the sofa would be a gray and black rug. Add a couple of chairs in black and white cowhide. Finish it off with a large abstract painting.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Wegner CH103 Sofa Mongolian Lamb Pillow Twilight Area Rug Figure Art Print by Leigh Viner
January 29, 2013 at 7:15pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like your original idea of white. I did it in really leather for a young client and it looks great! Faux leather will be much easier to maintain than his real one. I would do it. Black leather looks to bachelor pad for me. A pale grey would also look good.
January 29, 2013 at 7:20pm     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Leather can make a sectional pretty expensive...For your first home, maybe a fabric in one of the tones suggested and a really nice club chair for sitting....retro French mustache for contrast? Just the clubby guy in me talking
January 29, 2013 at 8:01pm   
Tracy Taylor
Velvet Microfiber! Its super easy to clean even if you spill on it.
January 29, 2013 at 8:17pm     
anthip
I wouldn't do a sectional in a condo/apartment/smaller space like this. I think an apartment sized sofa with some awesome chairs/additional seating would be better. Then you have flexibility on where people sit etc. We have a shorter sofa but it has an incredibly deep seat so it's very comfy. Then we have an armchair, a bench and some ottomans. All grounded around a rug. Put the sofa against the wall (but pulled out slightly) opposite the console. Put a chair in front of the windows angled towards the sofa and another chair opposite - don't have to match. Put all front furniture feet on the rug. Put the coffee table/ottoman in the middle close to the sofa. Put the lamp with the built in table between the sofa and he window chair and the little side table next to the other chair on the sofa side. I love the chevron lamp for the side table.

Just some ideas below.

You could go with a grey sofa and then grey chairs with the funky tree pattern rug or the white sofa with the yellow armchairs and a chevron with a coloured trim. Use a high console like the one there now and put some ottomans under it for extra seating. You could also have a black leather ottoman as a table with a large tray on that you could use for additional seating when needed.

Sorry - I love this room. It looks like it could be soooooo much fun!

[houzz=Klyne Sofa]

[houzz=Petrie Sofa]

[houzz=Victor Chair, Buttoned, Window Pane Plaid]

[houzz=Chloe Chair]

[houzz=Hyperion Hand Crafted Hooked Weatherized Rug in Yellow and Ivory]

[houzz=Zigzag Rug]

[houzz=Black and White Canopy Stripe Upholstered Cube Ottoman]

[houzz=Ravella Leather Ottoman]

[houzz=Jonathan Adler Meurice Table Floor Lamp in Floor Lamps]

[houzz=Contemporary Robert Abbey Bronze Finish Tempered Glass Side Table]

[houzz=Eclectic Table Lamps]
January 30, 2013 at 12:05am     
PRO
Grace Archives
Gallery walls are a classic, yet modern look. Mingle vintage art and old architectural details, with family photos for a one of a kind display.

www.GraceArchives.etsy.com
January 30, 2013 at 6:06am   
miranda_leigh
Thank you all so much for the great ideas! Very helpful! Now the hard part will be to make a final decision...
January 30, 2013 at 5:10pm     
mac9
Dytecture hit the nail on the head. I like how his coffee table brings in the same rectangular look of the top windows. The rug, pillows and wall sculpture can bring in style and color. Good luck.
January 30, 2013 at 5:19pm   
tropicaliente
definately an area rug to define the space. sofa can be positioned either facing the window, at a diagonal or perpendicular. can put a console behind the sofa overlooking the dining room/kitchen
January 30, 2013 at 5:59pm   
angela428
Hi, Try www.calligaris.com, lumber liquidators Morning star quing black bamboo it has a bit of brown.
Www.globalfurnitureof Florida.com, cabimaxinfo go to Exotic woods.
Leather is the best you can buy, I have a leather sofa light white /buttercup cream color, but light. Yes it has had pen and all sorts of stuff, the best part is use a little tiny drop of alcohol on a q tip. Then I give her a good massage with nivea hand cream. It keeps the leather soft and puts moisture in so it will not crack. The backs go up and down as the side alxo'has a pillow that opens and closes it Oct great.Www,hermanmiller.com, www.knoll studio.com www.hbf.com and finally www,specsimple.com fol.ow the instructions.
I would wait for carpet, drapes etc, till I see what the sun and heat do. Do you need black out or sheers or blinds or hunter Douglas bottom up top down, they will know if you call them. And mural art is starting to weave its way back on ceilings in closets ans over tubs or in showers, a shark in the shower on waterproof paper is very hot and fun, but it is your home. Visit the sites and pick what you like and visit auctions.I watched a Bernhardt table chairs leave for a few hundred and then a dresser that the marble alone was several thousand.
Check out green demolitions.com I think I saw a white leather sectional today and many kitchens for 5 - 7.000. Amazing,
COC
January 30, 2013 at 6:13pm   
lctpdc
The leather piece that is in there now is just too big for the space. Go with L-shaped sofa/sectional, add a rug that brings out the great yellow color you have going on. Add a coffee table (maybe plexi-/glass so it would take no visual space), put the plant in an interesting pot and group with others of varying heights and widths near the window (perhaps on and around the bookcase?)
January 30, 2013 at 6:19pm   
PRO
JaredViar
what a nice space , especially the kitchen, first thing that visualize my idea's are two build in's a full floor to ceiling, shelving for flat screen & art , mirror backs combined wall paper, alternate glass shelves & wood,very high gloss finishes, a banquette that curves , with shelves & storage underneath, a floating sofa with a bucket curve will allow more flow & break up the square lines, would be really cool if a full platform elevated area was the livingroom stepup from kitchen would create more depth & my ideas run wild , anyhow the basics of a deep curved leather banquette, full length dual panels geometric pattern floor to ceiling curtains, a double tier kidney retro coffee table, some tiers of pendant lighting , might I suggest for a very modest fee , a concept plan by a professional decorator, local or by emails for your space , with a progressive staging if your on a budget over time with choice quality installations, good luck!
January 30, 2013 at 8:40pm   
Darzy
I love your white leather sofa idea. It's actually easy to clean and lasts forever.

January 30, 2013 at 8:51pm     
ajd228
I wanted to start off by saying I love the space you have to work with. Im no designer, but if it were me, I would take the shelving piece against the wall and desgin around that. that piece screams strength and character (from what I see in the picture) and would design starting there. There are some great ideas regarding colors and blinds/window treatments on this site, but just starting with that piece, you can do so much! Good luck!
January 30, 2013 at 9:11pm   
PRO
JaredViar
Oh congratulation's on your first home!, may the ambiance & space create a life time of great times for your & all who have the joy of crossing its threshold! just wanted to add that , if your unsure of your style, go through a few design magazines, cut out some images , surf & don't feel rushed , its your home your desires to unfold with suggestions to guide & lead you to a selections that are affordable , practical & function's in your life style, once you've chosen a overall look, you can build up from that story board, it could become a jewel box of great style & comforts with the planned format! I highly recommend a professional consultation. a general overview walk through & a set budget fee for a concept . once your sure of the look & how the budget will allow you over a progressive time to create your dream looks! best of charms , The Design Dandy Jared Viar The first image following is an ideal window treatment, its formal yet relaxed with great stylings, this actual concept by Sills & Huniford is very upscale but a very good one for the type of room your challenged to decorate! the images are just some general ideas not for actual installation, keep it focused ! make it work!
January 30, 2013 at 9:42pm   
PRO
Erika Bruder Interior Design LLC
I like your idea of a white sofa, I would go with it!
January 30, 2013 at 9:47pm   
hparks74
Grey looks good with chocolate.
January 30, 2013 at 10:48pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
What about these curtain pattern designs? If you are interested, I will go and contact our first-class professional designer for the best idea of how to decorate your window.
January 31, 2013 at 1:21am     
designideas4me
I have white..rose beige they call it..........large leather sectional and its easy to keep clean. I think that is your best look with all the dark in the room. Just watch out that no one sits down with a pen in their pocket or anything sharp. But its that way for any leather. I have a 5 year protection plan on my couch and just noticed it is sinking a bit in the chaise I sit in all the time ( must be from spending too much time on Houzz and eating too much..lol). Anyway i am going to call on that protection plan and if they cant fix it than they replace it. Same goes for nicks and cuts and stains. They also have fabric guard stuff for many products these days that goes on before its delivered.
January 31, 2013 at 1:43am   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would put in silhouettes inside the frames and put up a decorative rod just above the first set of windows .I think you should leave the transom windows open .
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/hunter-douglas/silhouette-toronto.html
January 31, 2013 at 6:48am