Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with this living room
nlglady
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am taking over a residential care facility with a smallish living room. I cannot make structural changes so I need ideas to make this room look bigger, warm and updated without spending a lot of money. What do you think about a dark old mantel (shelf) over the fireplace? Should I paint the brick? What about having curtains on both sides of the fp?
There is a patio door on the right side of the fp. The second picture is on the right side of the fp just before the patio door. I am thinking of removing the mini office and use that as additional seating area. Ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
kitasei
What kind of residents? Do they have special needs to accommodate? What will they be using the room for?
January 30, 2013 at 1:34AM     
miramira
Yes, paint the brick, get a more substantial mantel, get a more user friendly coffee table with rounded edges and get the TV wall mounted on a moveable frame to clear the room. Having a few extra chairs might be useful, but think you should somehow keep one smooth counter area with a chair to do some writing or computer work. Not sure as stated above what the needs of the residents are, or if this is supposed to be your office or for them.
January 30, 2013 at 2:10AM     
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I like your fireplace and would not paint it. But I would make the mantle darker and I would paint the screen black ( or replace it with a black screen).
Is there another wall the TV could go on? It seems to overwhelm the fireplace?
January 30, 2013 at 9:49AM     
claudiann
I think you need something hanging above the fireplace. I don't think the pole lamp is a warm feature.i would not put curtains beside the fireplace. Maybe shelves. Can the seats be separated? Could you put the tv where the office furniture is? What is on the left hand side of the fireplace? Could you post more pictures?
January 30, 2013 at 6:46PM     
nlglady
Claudiann, you are right, the tall lamp does not add to the room. The left of the fireplace is a wall behind the leather seat. I am thinking of removing the seats and replace with love seats facing each other. I like the idea of wall mounting a tv and changing the surround with black face. The room will be for families of the residents of the facility when they visit. The residents will be elderly (65 and over) but ambulatory. I will be removing the coffee table and replace with a rounded edge wooden table. Thanks all for your suggestions and comments!!
January 31, 2013 at 9:16PM   
Darzy
It's actually difficult for elderly to sit in...and get out of...oversized and deep cushy furniture. To decorate on the cheap...how about a couple sets of upholstered outdoor furniture? It's easy to get in and out of and the scale is a bit smaller so you can seat more people (and easy to keep clean). Put an area rug and nice lamps with toss pillows and it will be quite cozy. The entire set is only $300 at Walmart. Shop around because many look quite suitable for indoor spaces.
January 31, 2013 at 9:34PM     
January 31, 2013 at 9:34PM     
nlglady
Darzy, I agree, I need seats that are easy to get out of...maybe several individual upholstered sets and a love seat. Thanks.
January 31, 2013 at 9:37PM   
nlglady
I like these!! Thanks Darzy.
January 31, 2013 at 9:38PM   
PRO
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Obviously, the coffee table needs to move away from the fireplace, and the little decorations on the mantel are not helping.

One large piece of art work over the fireplace will help to center up the focal point. I agree with either painting the fireplace doors black or replacing them. polished brass is a little passé.

Once the basics are taken care of, the mantel and the brick may not matter as much.
February 1, 2013 at 6:42AM   
More Discussions
What do I do with this space?
So I have this space considered part of my 'formal'...
Need help with fireplace wall
How can I best decorate this wall...any ideas?
Yellow subway tile for backsplash
I am having a great deal of difficulty finding a yellow...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.