powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Of our rear yard before we created a pool and landscape space!!
Liquidscapes
January 29, 2013 in Before & After
Before and afters are great visuals to help tell the story and evolution of a project. I hope everyone finds value with these examples. It took us several years and many phases to complete our project, but we never compromised our design intent. Please ask any questions you may have, because I don't have the space to cover everything.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
That photo on the right is very inspirational !
January 30, 2013 at 7:44am     
PRO
Liquidscapes
Thank you, that is always my/our goal!!
January 30, 2013 at 7:50am   
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
All I can say is wow!
January 30, 2013 at 8:22am   
PRO
Stoneshop
Wow, what a beautiful retreat! Superb work.
January 30, 2013 at 8:54am   
PRO
Liquidscapes
Thank you all! I try to tell my clients all the time that its better to wait and phase things as you can afford, opposed to making compromised decisions and choices. Of course there is a sequence that needs to be discussed in order to maximize efficiency, productivity and budget!!
January 30, 2013 at 9:37am     
ispeakwhale
nice photoshop. surreal.
January 30, 2013 at 10:56pm   
tmaxs
Thank you for posting, your pictures look amazing. Can I ask, what is the average coat to put in a pool with a raised jacuzzi?
January 31, 2013 at 4:59pm   
PRO
Liquidscapes
That is a difficult question to answer without knowing more particulars, but the best answer I can give is starting at $75,000 - $90,000 +/-, with a concrete pool (20' x 40') and a 4-6 man size spa. It would be easier to answer if you provided a picture of the type of product you are looking for and more detailed information/pics of the site and the desired use, function and purpose of what you want. It all comes down to the details. Plus the way the pool is built, plumbed, type of equipment, etc.

Does the pool require any particular engineering of the site to receive a pool??

I hope that helps!!
January 31, 2013 at 5:10pm   
tmaxs
Thank you for your response. I am attaching two artist renderings of one of our designs. It is about 15 by 30 and the spa is 8 by 8, I think. Our yard slopes up to the rear of the property, that is why we designed the pool the way it is; less digging. My sister in law put a pool oin for less than 30K with hardscape. We are in Palos Verdes Estates and our quotes are around 75K-80K with een less hardscape. It just seems like we are getting a "zip code penalty"
February 1, 2013 at 9:18am   
PRO
Liquidscapes
What state are you in? Cost of doing business varies from state to state for starters. Not sure you are comparing apples to apples with your sisters project. My suggestion would be if your designer has the expertise to provide the construction details, then everyone is pricing from the same specification and standards.

Expect to hear from the pool builders different ways to build your project than what your designer proposed. This makes things a little challenging for you, but it is actually a good thing, because most designers or landscape architects do not know everything that is involved to properly build a pool.

I experience that myself personally and professionally, that is why I have both disciplines and expertise under one roof with my business model.its a collaboration!

Once you find a pool builder you are comfortable with, make sure they and your designer are on the same page before you start.

It's all about becoming educated, which is our approach.

Make sure your pool and design complies with all local zoning requirements. Where is the equipment going and is it set up for optimum efficiency now and long term? You also have other associated costs, more design, permits, engineering, fencing/gates, outdoor furniture, landscaping?, lighting?, irrigation?, grading and stabilization, etc. Happy to help!!
February 1, 2013 at 9:46am   
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
No questions, busy enjoying the view. Very nice work. :)
February 1, 2013 at 9:57am   
PRO
Liquidscapes
Thank you Mary, I'll post other views and perspectives soon ( along with seasonal changes)!!
February 1, 2013 at 10:00am   
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Trees that size in several years? This project is a real beauty - interesting - from barren to flourishing - it's hard to travel there in ones mind - - -
February 1, 2013 at 11:51am   
PRO
Liquidscapes
The black and white images are around 12 to 11 years ago! I did the original/first pergola in 1999 and the pool in 2000 I believe. It was funny in the beginning, because the original pergola (which I eventually expanded and put a solid roof over), was standing alone about 175'- 200' away from our home. So everyone, including my family wasn't getting it at all!! Then as the pieces started to come together over a 5-6 year period, it started to make sense to everyone. Tough working for your own family, LOL!!

Over a period of 10 years, I took 3 acres of flat open lawn and turned it into a park like setting. I planted over 150 trees alone, from 2" to 10" in diameter, mostly natives. I kind of used my property as a lab and tested different plantings (deer and drought tolerant), which is a big problem in NJ and I didn't have irrigation.

One of the most interesting things I found was how different a 4" Pin Oak vs. a 8"-10" Pin Oak acclimates to its surroundings. Not only did the smaller oaks grow a much stronger base/root system (flare/achor roots), before they started to take on a larger canopy (or sail, which is what I tell my clients), they past the size of the larger oaks with great structure and form. While the larger trees were still acclimating and recovering from roots being cut during the digging/transplanting process.It's all about balance.

We have strong winds coming for the northwest, because we live across a small airstrip, so the size of the flare roots in comparison to the truck and canopy looked so weird to everyone in the beginning, but the tree is doing exactly what it needs to cope to its new environment!!

That is why I tell my clients all the time that a 4" shade tree is the perfect animal to start with (unless scale is an issue). You get a reasonable size tree, less cost to handle and install and it will acclimate much faster to its new surroundings (and produce a better return on their investment).
February 1, 2013 at 12:46pm     
PRO
Weaver Home Photography
Whoa! Your work is amazing! Love all the B & A photos on your Houzz homepage, as well. Thanks for posting and keep up the great work!
February 1, 2013 at 4:25pm   
tmaxs
To answer your question. We are in Southern Calif, Palos Verdes Estates. My sister is in Riverside Calif. Are you a designer or landscape architect? If so, are you in California. BTW, I would love to see more pics of your property when you have time. Thanks again for all of your input!!
February 1, 2013 at 5:29pm   
PRO
Liquidscapes
I'm an artist that fell in love with this industry 35 years ago, never realizing this would become my lifetime career or that it would be my canvas. All my experience was from the field, college was never an option for me, nor was being a landscape architect back in the late 70's. Noone discussed that as a profession you could make a living at. I'm a hands on person, so learning by doing was best suited for me, opposed to being in a classroom. Plus, being an artist, it provided great advantages for me.

My family lives in California, they all moved there 30 years ago, I was already running a business right out of high school in NJ, so it made sense for me to stay.

I have landscape architects that collaborate and work with me on my payroll. If you need design assistance, we can help in that capacity.

I'll post more before and after images of my home and other projects for you!!

Thank you for your kind words!!

H
February 1, 2013 at 6:41pm   
ispeakwhale
I know a woman who loves working in the yard. Even the digging dirt, laying stone, etc. kind of hard yard work. She turned that passion into a business as well...not to this level though!

Amazing and awesome to be able to turn a passion into a career with no student loans to drag behind you! ;)) kudos.

I didn't mean to be snarky earlier. My humor doesn't always come across the web tangled the right way.
February 1, 2013 at 6:49pm   
designideas4me
I too am in southern california and the house we bought has a pool Its a lap pool 8 by 36 feet and 5 feet deep at deeper end. How much do you think it cost? was installed in 2004 or 2005.
February 1, 2013 at 7:03pm   
designideas4me
p,s, ...........a few of my pygmy palms near the pool froze this winter and the other plants near the pool are roses and birds of paradise. What do you think I should replace the palms with that wont lean towards the pool and the sun creating less walkway space? Will these palms grow leaves again and if so how long til that happens? What are your red trees? Lastly is it less expensive to do an abouve ground jacuzzi or build one that is attatched to the existing pool and plumbing and electric?
February 1, 2013 at 7:09pm   
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
Liquid...just to clarify, you are in NJ? Because I could use a good pool designer/installer to refer to clients here in SF Bay Area.
February 2, 2013 at 8:49am   
PRO
Liquidscapes
Yes, we can service clients in the Tri-state area for pool and landscape installations. From a design standpoint, our reach is much larger of course. The design process is always the same, no matter what state we work in. Thank you for considering our firm!!
February 2, 2013 at 10:16am   
PRO
Liquidscapes
Typically, an attached and integrated spa will be less expensive opposed to an independent, but it always comes down to the exact details and specifications. It's never a black and white or one size fits all scenario. Make your decisions on the function and need, along with budget and aesthetics.

Have someone locally that is qualified to access the current conditions of your palm trees to see the extent of the damage and if they will recover. The tree needs the foliage in order for photosynthesis to occur, which feeds the tree. Assess, evaluate and then determine a course of action.

The red foliage I believe you are referring to is a Forest Pansy Redbud, I do not this they would be hardy in your zone/climate due to the heat. So find a species that has a similar habit that is more suited for your climate.
February 2, 2013 at 10:26am   
designideas4me
liquidscapes............did you miss my question perhaps
February 2, 2013 at 10:28am   
PRO
Liquidscapes
Sorry for the mid-spelling, think, not this!!
February 2, 2013 at 10:28am   
PRO
Liquidscapes
No, just called it quits last night, we have a 3 hour difference in time. I hope I answered your questions today!! Let me know. We are based in NJ.
February 2, 2013 at 10:30am   
PRO
Liquidscapes
Lets talk!! I just sent you two emails, along with several attachments of designs/projects we are currently working on!! Thanks Howard
February 2, 2013 at 1:59pm   
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Ahhh networking at it's best. :)
February 2, 2013 at 2:11pm   
PRO
Urban Oasis
Very inspiring... The proof of how landscaping can change our lives for the better.
February 2, 2013 at 5:15pm   
PRO
Liquidscapes
Thanks Debbie!! I'll post other before and afters in the near future, beyond my personal residence!!
February 2, 2013 at 6:22pm   
elwillems
Wow!!! Just amazing!!
February 3, 2013 at 1:45pm   
PRO
Liquidscapes
Thank you, if there is anything in particular you want to see, please ask. I may have it in our image file of projects that we have done over the years.

What is it that appealed to you and what insight can you provide us in how we can get our message through better. So everyone gets the results and value they desire and deserve the first time. I hate seeing waste in time, materials, resources, etc. It is so " UNGREEN "!! Thank you.
February 3, 2013 at 1:52pm   
More Discussions
Shower door coating?
We are putting in new shower doors (one is for a steam...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Kitchen granite
My wife and I are doing a new build. We are roof tight....
All suggestions welcome!
I'm trying to bring these two rooms together. All...
To Paint or Not to Paint
Thinking of painting this room divider/bar area white....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.