Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Breakfast Room or Family Room
jenkins2pdx
January 29, 2013 in Polls
Im torn. I have a little room off my kitchen & dining room and I'm trying to decide what's the best use of the space.
Currently it has a table and a little desk.
I'm thinking of putting in a small sofa & tv console instead (there are no other tv's on the main level).
However, if I convert it I loose the eating space near the kitchen and would have to use the dining room exclusively (we use it always for dinner).
So, Breakfast Room or family Room?
Breakfast Room
Family Room
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jean Herman
I think a family room would be nice, rather than duplicate eating areas. Would those windows cause too much reflection on a tv though?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:05PM
jenkins2pdx
I would probably have to put some more linen curtains up?
Thanks for your answer.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:07PM
Jean Herman
I love the paint color in that room!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 9:16PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Awww, what a darling room! Feels like an old movie set. 1920's? I'm voting family room, so that you can watch all the oldies on TCM.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:22PM
PRO
G3 Studios Decorative Painting
I love the idea of waking up and having a cup of coffee as the room gets brighter with all of the windows letting in the sunrise. I think the color might be getting into my brain and making me view it as a breakfast area.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 9:24PM
Jayme H.
Any thoughts of doing both? Use small scale, comfy furnishings, mount a t.v. and use a small table or removable tray tables for eating?
3 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:25PM
jenkins2pdx
Benjamin Moore's Heavenly Blue (709)!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 9:25PM
wmpj
If you enjoy eating in this room, then how about converting the dining room into something else? We rarely used our dining room so I converted it to a library/craft area. We also have a small living room that never got used so now it's an exercise room.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:25PM
jenkins2pdx
Yes, 1920's. Can't do both Jayme, room has too many doors & windows...
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:27PM
PRO
Deborah Vanderzel Designs
Its begging to be breakfast... what you can do is ....add a round table and 4 comfortable Arm chairs - mount a small TV on the wall, then you can watch and eat. Table can be used to work on your lap top or play cards/games. What a beautiful space... enjoy it
Cheers!
3 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:58PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
I must say that once I fire up my Volkswagon Keurig for a cup of coffee in the morning, I pass my kitchen barstools and DR and head straight for the couch in the LR, put up my feet to stretch my bad back and watch the morning headlines. I can even manage my oatmeal/eggs/dinner leftovers in my lap in addition to coffee and remotes. And sometimes even a laptop. It's an art.
3 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:09PM
jenkins2pdx
No walls to hang a tv:(
We'll have to find small console as its a walkway into the kitchen.
Round is too tight with doorways and built ins unless its a cafe size...
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:25PM
Darzy
How about making it a lounge and dining and office space? Get a computer monitor large enough to view as a tv and have the table/chairs be a lounge as well. You can use one of the chairs as an "office" chair when you don't need for dining.

1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 10:44PM
megmegmeg
This says definitely says breakfast room to me, but I think a non-traditional one...instead of 4 chairs, put a long tufted couch (like a bench seat, but a couch with 6inch exposed legs) on one side that would fit 2 or more... A TV would be lost in this room. A couch (with pillows) to replace 2 chairs allows you to use it for other things.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:02PM
mveasey
Who said you cannot have coffee on a couch? It is your house!
Since you already have an eating area, but no TV, I vote for family room.could you put a TV into one of the built-ins?
Depending on how many family members would snuggle in this beautiful room together, you could do oversize chairs or a small bench and cocktail tables...?
By the way, your daylight is amazing! Maybe I am just having withdrawals from living here in the northwest at this time of the year.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:09PM
Darzy
Have you seen those coffee tables that raise up to table height? That could work nicely for you.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:16PM
Jean Herman
I love the idea of turning your dining room into a family room, and using this lovely space for eating all of your meals. If you use a round table with a pedestal you could fit 4-6 people around it. A glass top would keep it visually lighter. I imagine that your dining room is a standard rectangular space that would more easily accommodate a television and family room furniture.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:00AM
Jean Herman
Another thought along the same line...if you used chairs instead of a sofa in your dining room-turned family room, you could easily move them out and put a large folding table in there when you need a larger dining room for entertaining.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:02AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would put up white cellular shades with a top down bottom up option . It will allow you to control the light and privacy in the room .
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/cellular-shades.html
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:34PM
cutecupcake27
I love the color
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:34PM