powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How would you make this space look bigger and cleaner?
Kimberly Phelps
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are moving into a 1958 Brady bunch-esq home. The bathroom is horrid and its going to be our only one. Looking for advice on how to make it look larger, cleaner, and function better.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
Thinking the wallpaper needs to go...Very busy for small space...were u planning on taking it off?
January 29, 2013 at 9:34PM     
Kimberly Phelps
Yep. We are thinking its a tad busy. The house is absolutely amazing, but the bathroom is a bit busy.
January 29, 2013 at 9:38PM   
Jayme H.
A color scheme like one of these...and maybe a unit open underneath to help make room look larger?
January 29, 2013 at 9:44PM     
PRO
Bob Ybarra Building Designer
Remove wall paper using a rented steamer. Comes off easy. Remove the shutters and vinyl flooring. Then paint. Dark color can make cozy and rich with the right lighting while light color will make brighter. If light still keep a shade darker than ceiling. 16" square tile flooring that has a light stone look. Replace sink with a pedestal sink. Is there a light or fan in the shower? If not I would add a both. If shower tile is white it can stay and will compliment the white pedestal sink. Add some nice towel holders above the toilet that match new TP holder and other towel rods. Other changes can be to the door and hardware. Make it a room of its own. The attached photos are of a 3/4 bath. Shower is to the right out of view. Wall painted with a base and rag rolled glaze giving it a leather look. Enjoy!
January 29, 2013 at 9:54PM     
PRO
Deborah Vanderzel Designs
I like Jayme's suggestions, looks current, bright, functional and clean
January 29, 2013 at 10:08PM     
pud07
Maybe have some sort of matching ledge over the toilet to create more space for functionality .
January 29, 2013 at 10:09PM   
Darzy
Yes, remove the wallpaper and shutters. If you want to maximum the spacious look, a floating vanity and wall hung toilet frees up "floor" space and makes it look bigger.

January 29, 2013 at 10:25PM     
Jayme H.
I can see you like modern. Not much is modern in the room right now. Personally, to avoid making it seem smaller, I would use light wall colors.
January 29, 2013 at 10:26PM   
PRO
Apartment 46 for the Home
Wall paper removal is a non-negotiable if you're asking us designers to weigh in. :) That will improve the space immensely. Painting in a modern/clean color scheme like Jayme suggested is key. Removal of shutters is a definite, but I say to paint the inside of those cabinets with a darker color. If you are doing a white on the walls then do dove gray inside with white shelves. Then get a bunch of great canisters like glass apothecary jars and fill with your essentials like cotton balls, etc. that you can actually display. You can put your perfumes there and a couple small baskets to hide tweezers, etc. The baskets will look pretty and you won't see your stuff. Plate glass mirror is gone! The best suggestion is the framed mirror look above a new vanity/sink/hardware. It's totally inexpensive and you can find amazing ones at Home Goods (I don't believe in recommending super expensive mirrors when there are great ones out there). Believe it or not, Home Depot has great sink fixtures. I would actually not have a squared vanity in that space. I'd angle the edges. If that's not practical, then new sink, new hardware everywhere (as was already mentioned!) and keep it simple and minimalist on the decor. Hooks mounted to the back of the door work wonders. I have three on the back of my micro-bathroom!
January 29, 2013 at 10:30PM   
PRO
Alcove Decor and Furniture
Try this idea.
January 29, 2013 at 10:32PM     
PRO
Bob Ybarra Building Designer
Kimberly
Another approach is to revitalize a 50's look. Use light or soft color pallet. Replace vinyl with small tile with neutral color and maybe some accent tiles. Wainscoat the walls with a white tile. Repaint walls with a color. Replace mirror & lighting, towel racks and alike to compliment. Also replace shower door. I personally would stay away from a wood waisncoat in a small bath because of moisture.
January 30, 2013 at 8:13AM     
PRO
3DCGI
I think that to make the bathroom look larger you need to remove the old decoration and install some clean modern materials - Travertine or marble and a solid timber top and lots of mirror will open up this space.

Our design process is pretty simple - we visualize in 3D rather than describe, and think that it it could look a little something like this..
March 26, 2013 at 7:56PM     
PRO
3DCGI
And the before shot....
March 26, 2013 at 7:56PM   
whistlerhouse
You do not say what style the rest of the house is. The style of the rest of the house should dictate modern or traditional...you also don't mention budget. Anything is possible with the unlimited budget. No matter what the answers to the above questions, white is cleanest, makes the room largest. Colour can be added with accessories.
May 13, 2014 at 10:24PM   
rocketjcat
Old post.
May 13, 2014 at 10:31PM   
libradesigneye
Looks like the door could open the other way so you could have a longer vanity. Splurge on a high end medicine cabinet mirror with a frame x2 - they increase functionality a lot. Yes, take off the paper, select the nicest white countertop you can afford, replace lighting and sink fixture. Take door off shower, hang curtain for phase 1. Add lighting - add pendants or wall sconces at vanity, semi flush or recessed fixture over toilet end, in shower (put all lights on dimmer switches. White cabinet, pale walls - neutral is best unless you have a color scheme worked out.
May 13, 2014 at 10:36PM