Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Do my colors make any sense??
reinacarbajal
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We recently purchased a home. After 4 months i thought i had founf the perfect colors. Accent wall BM Davenport Tan (chocolate) and Brooklin Beige (chocolate milkshake)
After painting the accent wall & a small area im not sure they look right.. We would like to paint everything else Brooklin Beige, kitchen (we've started already) entrance, hallway and living room. Should i rethink all of this??
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
yvonnecmartin
Wait until the paint really dries and you have your furniture back before you decide.
January 29, 2013 at 9:41pm     
vjs12
The best way to have the rooms flow is to pick a paint swatch you like. Select a color then use the lighter, medium or darker color for all the other rooms from the same swatch. I'm not a fan of an "accent wall" so I would paint the entire room.
January 29, 2013 at 10:25pm     
Darzy
It's hard to say without seeing the furniture and floors, etc. In this small picture, the wall paint isn't complementing the wood tone.
January 29, 2013 at 10:35pm     
PRO
Apartment 46 for the Home
Okay, here's my honest designer opinion. I also dislike accent walls most of the time. I especially hate the "one red wall" syndrome. The bottom line is that color is so personal that we can suggest and guide and tell you what WE like but it has to be what YOU like. Your colors are neutral, and therefore, very safe. That could also translate to super boring down the line but if you put great art on the walls and have warm lighting like floor lamps and table lamps that you can pick and choose from, you'll make the space cozy. I'm on the fence about the chocolate, but that's a personal taste thing. If you have lighter furnishings and your style is modern and clean, it could work. If you have a mish-mash and are a little all over the place design wise, end the chocolate and do all beige. I can't believe I just suggested painting a room all beige! Okay strike that. Do a color that riffs on the beige, like a lighter taupe, all over for cohesion.
January 29, 2013 at 10:36pm     
JUAN DAVILA
the color is good all you need mow are lighter clor sofas an chairs ok an wall mirror
February 1, 2013 at 9:03am   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
To have selected such a sophisticated color combination, you must have had something in mind for it. What colors are your upholstered pieces and your flooring? I think they are yummy colors that would look great with natural linen and some splashy art. Textured Belgian Linen Drapery Landform II by Leftbank Art
February 1, 2013 at 11:17am     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I am also anti-feature wall, to me it only makes a space seem smaller and a little disjointed..I would paint the dark wall the color of the other walls. Also NEVER choose you paint from a chip. Always buy samples or qts. paint 2 coats on a poster board and tape to all wall surfaces. Color is all about light, so every wall will always look different from the others..it looks different at night, and during the day. It is so much cheaper to do a sample so you can see how it really looks in your home. And don't paint the sample on the wall..paint large poster boards 22x28.
February 1, 2013 at 1:50pm     
groveraxle
I agree with Carolyn. The colors look yummy. But remember, we are seeing them on our monitors. YOU are the one who must decide.
February 2, 2013 at 5:30pm   
graciel57
I think the colors you have are nice. But you can't just leave them hanging out there on their own or they are B-O-R-I-N-G. You need to dress the room with color in the curtains, furniture pillows, rugs, or art, and at that point I think you'll see you made the right choice. It really comes down to what you like, and if you like those colors they can work for you.

Good luck!
February 3, 2013 at 10:43am   
dlapollo
get rid of browns - its gray, gray, gray
go with BM iron mountain with decorators white
or BM Stone with decorators white
you will be happy, happy
hip and hot
February 3, 2013 at 10:53am   
PRO
Dreammaker Home Design
Accent walls definitely have their place. I recently used BM Kendal Charcoal on a client's home as a backdrop for a large TV and entertainment unit. It does not make the room look smaller. Matter of fact it's like the wall recedes. The owners enjoy watching TV a lot more---it is more restful.
In answer to your particular question, I would argue that your accent wall is not dark enough.
February 3, 2013 at 12:35pm   
see_
Trust your gut feeling---there is a reason you have doubts. Get rid of it now that it is still not a huge endeavor (instead of putting everything back in and taking it out again, repriming the whole thing etc). My advice would be: 1. go lighter, preferably in a cooler tone (grayish taupe or light gray) if that complements your furniture and 2. no accent wall. Good luck.
February 3, 2013 at 2:29pm   
alwaysdesigning
You have gone to the trouble of painting. Take some time to live with it awhile before deciding your next move. It could be some sparkly wall items will liven up the palette, such as sunburst mirrors and artwork that pops. Check out the Houzz photos and Google in this color scheme to see what others have done. I love accent walls, but they must be the "important" wall of the room that is something interesting to look at (not the tv) and is the "weight" of the room.

It also depends on the natural light the room receives (my living room gets light from the south and the north windows); the color tones of your furniture and rugs; and whether you are a neutral "brown" person preferring cool undertones or warm undertones.

I prefer to go neutral in warmer undertones (my living and connecting hall are done in Sherwin Williams Buckram Binding, renamed as Wheat, and I love the warm golden undertone) and trim in a Linen white. Good luck

[houzz=Lakeview Residence Bedroom]
[houzz=Bachelor Pad]
[houzz=Custom Interiors]
[houzz=Traditional Chocolate & Cream Kitchen]
[houzz=Architecta Interiors]
February 3, 2013 at 8:02pm   
bumblebee728
Don't do gray just because it's the hot color. Do choose a workable color scheme you love.
February 23, 2013 at 4:18pm   
More Discussions
We're building a house.. I know nothing. Help me.
My wife and I are building a house in a new development....
any other options for kitchen layout
I've come up with a new layout for the kitchen. It...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
Do you decorate your home for Easter?
Do you decorate to celebrate Easter at your house?...
Color Scheme Suggestions?
We're leaning towards whitewashing the brick, but we...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.