Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Don't know how to best utilize this room
norgen
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I can't seem to get this room to come together . It is rectangular with a fireplace on one end where I have created a sitting area. However I waste the whole back half of the room by doing this. There is a piano ther - which we dont use and i could get rid of it.I have tried to have the couch and chairs face each other with the coffee table between them but that didn't look right. I would prefer not to have to invest in all new furniture.... But I can't seem to get this room to come together . Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
heidis123
The print chairs seem too heavy to have at the end of the room with the couch. If you're not opposed to getting rid of the piano... would you be able to move at least one of them to that wall to create a type of reading nook perhaps with a floor lamp or small table? That would give the illusion of the room being more balanced. Maybe even angle the couch? Lots of potential- nice fireplace, beautiful floors and ample windows...it will be lovely when completed.
January 30, 2013 at 3:56AM   
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
It does appear that you have too many furnishings in that space. If you are getting rid of the piano, can I have it? Just kidding, I would not choose to part with that! There appears to be no cohesiveness to the space also. Have you tried moving the love seat in front of the windows? Then place the 2 chairs where the love seat currently is? I would remove all the knick knacks from the mantel and put a large piece of art (or mirror) above it! The fireplace is a great focal point, and I barely notice it in the room. Good luck...
January 30, 2013 at 4:38AM   
PRO
Mona Ives
If you have an empty back area like this you could add a small table for games or homework or meals or you could add a desk. You could also add a console table behind the sofa and place a chair or ottomans underneath. You could also add a bookshelf for a library style area with two smaller leaner chairs nearby. Just some thoughts. I agree your furniture pieces are a bit clunky for the space, but if you don't want to replace, this is how you can make things a bit more functional.
January 30, 2013 at 4:42AM   
norgen
Great ideas I will move the sofa in front of the window and the chairs where the sofa is. I will also take off all the stuff on the mantle and look for some large artwork. I wonder if I should paint the fireplace it really does get lost here.
January 30, 2013 at 10:36PM