Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Massive fireplace
salihe423
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This fireplace is so large it bows out a good 5 feet from the corner. It is all rounded. I'm not sure the pictures attached reflect its massive size. Would love ideas !
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
salihe423
Ps: the res nof the space will be updated as well
January 29, 2013 at 10:45pm   
salihe423
Ps: The rest of the space will be updated with hardwood floors and removal of all paneling
January 29, 2013 at 10:47pm   
Darzy
What style do you want? If you update the paneling and flooring, your fireplace may look just right. Paint the "gold" part black and scrub the brick with oven cleaner. If you want "rustic modern" it will be great.
January 29, 2013 at 10:47pm     
salihe423
Not sure the style but was hoping to tame it somewhat. I agree it will have a different effect once the room is updated. I would love a mantel too but can't imagine how. I like rustic / modern traditional. Kind of multi personality.
January 29, 2013 at 10:58pm   
onthefence
I have to say - I've seen some of the greatest and most unusual fireplaces this week!

I do agree with Darzy regarding the rustic modern look. I think if this had better surroundings it would be a show stopper.
January 29, 2013 at 10:58pm     
salihe423
I just noticed the other post of the curved fireplace too. Maybe I'll paint mine similarly
January 29, 2013 at 11:04pm   
onthefence
Can I suggest you do the other changes you were considering before painting? The other poster is starting with a painted fireplace in a color they really didn't like. Once you've changed the looks around your current FP and cleaned up the front a bit, you may find you like it more than you think!
January 29, 2013 at 11:16pm     
salihe423
Yes. Good idea. Just bought the house and haven't started renovations yet. Thanks
January 29, 2013 at 11:21pm   
onthefence
As my husband is fond of saying 'once you've painted the brick, it's painted for good'.

One other suggestion though regarding cleaning - maybe mask off that metal strip above the firebox so it doesn't get cleaner on it. Do you know what kind of metal that is? I'd hate to see some kind of corrosive damage that.
January 29, 2013 at 11:28pm   
PRO
nFORMAL design
Depending on the look, you might want to have it troweled flat with a stucco type surface. With the types of vertical concrete they are doing today, you could make it smooth and almost any pigmented color. As a professional, I'd stucco it with white and remove the wainscoting. It doesn't have to look "Santa Fe"...would give you a nice clean look that you could possibly decorate a myriad of ways.
January 30, 2013 at 12:16pm   
kimdee24
You know... it's kind of awesome. Or it could be. I agree with onthefence. Make the other changes first, and then see how it's sitting.

What is going on with the ceiling... I see some beams up there, what's that look like?
January 30, 2013 at 12:33pm   
salihe423
to kdeley - I haven't moved into the house yet but yes, there are beams. The room is vaulted and the fireplace is on the low side of the vault. I'm not sure what I'll do with the beams yet. I'm closing this week and having a designer/contractor come this weekend. There is much to do that is for sure!
January 30, 2013 at 8:21pm   
lefty47
HI-- Wow, another rounded corner fireplace ! If you really really hate it then it maybe worth it to you to have it removed when you do all the other demos. It is eating up a lot of footage .OR you could work with it . It is a little too huge for the room and it is in a corner , sooo you will have to decide what you want to do because it may affect the floor . If it was my place ,I would remove it and relocate along with the other renos you mentioned. If you just want to reface it , that might make it look even bigger. If you don't want to demo it , then I would do all the other renos before I touched the fireplace , because it might look better after the paneling is gone and there are new floors etc..So take your time.
January 30, 2013 at 8:42pm