Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help needed with my living room.
Vicky Go-Cheung
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
There is something missing in this picture. It looks like a couch in a room instead of a cozy living room. Do you have any suggestions? I was thinking of new pillows, maybe hang something on the wall or put a rug on the floor. What should I do with the wall or the corner? It seems so empty, yet I have no inspiration what to do with it. I'm also stuck with the colours, because of the colorful toys I'm dealing with. Do you have any idea which colours work best? Please help me!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miramira
The elephant in the room is the large bulkhead...if there is nothing to be done, well then ok. I see the opposite wall is the TV wall. You have a wonderful view, and my eye goes first to the painted panels below window. I would paint that out to one color. Absolutely get an area rug with a geometric pattern (not too bold but strong), even though you have great floors.. I love the little table, but it is too little and suggest a sturdy ottoman for feet or a tray or extra seating which you need. Place your big plant at the other end to hide plugs and wires. Try putting an interesting mirror over the sofa to add dimension and reflect the outdoors. The baby end I would purchase a long storage cabinet to add a lamp and place your small photos on, and choose a larger piece of art for that wall. Hope this sounds good!
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:59AM
Vicky Go-Cheung
Thank you Miramira. You have a lot of good ideas. But I wasn't thinking of making so many changes, because we cannot afford it right now. What small change would you suggest to do first? Btw is there anything I could do with my small table, because I want to keep it. ;)
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:13AM
Tracy Taylor
I think you need a rug! Maybe get 6 or 9 matching frames and put some prints or water colors in them and get some matching pillows for the couch. I think you may want to consider a soft window treatment.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 2:21AM
miramira
I understand! Many of the suggestions won't cost much to paint that area below windows...moving the plant is free...and place the little table closer to the sofa, but remove small items from it. Keep your eyes out for an area rug that will not be too small. Measure measure measure....your table really is nice and a new rug will showcase. I would start with the above!
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 2:41AM
Vicky Go-Cheung
Thanks a lot! I think I def will get a rug and new pillows. Which colors would you suggest? By the way, what is a window treatment? (Sorry english is not my native language) And do you mean with painting the panels, only the inner parts? So the frame stays white and the panels become... f.e. Light blueish grey?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:51AM
Vicky Go-Cheung
Should my rug be almost the same width as the space between the panels and the couch (the long part)?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:55AM
miramira
Yes, or a little bigger. Too small will make room look smaller not bigger...
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:53AM
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Help with rug selection for travertine floor.
I have an open concept kitchen family room. Entire...
Bathroom floor tiles ( Porcelanosa Ferroker aluminio)
We are looking for a color for the wall which compliments...
Antique buffet - how to accessorize it
This buffet that my Great Grandfather made is the ...
Kitchen Flooring Material Dilemma: Porcelain Tile, Cork, or Bamboo?
We need to replace the cracking ceramic tile on our...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.