Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My bedroom is pit and needs renovation!
Christina Tucker
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
THIS is my bedroom. To say that it is a pit doesn't even begin to describe it. Nothing has been done to it for over 30 years, because my now husband didn't mind sleeping in a mess. I've put up with it for over five years and NOW it time to do something about it.

We are going to rip out the two totally dysfunctional closets and move our bed under the window where the tv is. We are putting in an 8 foot closet with closet organizers on the wall where the bed currently resides. We have ripped out the carpeting (also over 30 years old) to find what would have been nice hardwood floors but no one knew what a drop cloth was, so they are COVERED in paint, so carpeting it is. I wish there was a tv show that would just come in and make my bedroom beautiful because I am TOTALLY overwhelmed at this point.

I am soliciting advice on paint colors, color schemes that would open up the room, furniture placement, storage solutions and carpet. I do not want to refinish the hardwood floors, as they are REALLY bad. I have been looking at light to mid-tone neutral paint colors (taupe, gray, putty) and want to paint the wall with the window (where the bed is going) a shade or two darker than the rest of the room. I would also like to put in some sort of storage on either side of the bed that could also function as a nightstand. PLEASE, any guidance would be truly appreciated. I am really in the weeds with this project!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
michigammemom
Christina, don't despair. Your new closet configuration will do wonders for organizing your bedroom and controlling clutter. Since the window is not used anyway, drape it with curtain panels to create a back drop for your nice poster bed. Remove the floral wallpaper and select a soothing wall color. I like the dove gray shown in the inspiration room. Also invest in some coordinated bed linens to add comfort and the look of luxury...lots of inexpensive choices and get creative with night stands. A small scale low dresser can serve as storage with bedside lighting.
January 30, 2013 at 5:42AM   
Christina Tucker
thank you! It's been awful. I can't even think about that room without crying. Seriously, my husband's idea of decorating is a fresh coat of white paint and flannel camouflage sheets. I pushed for our kitchen remodel two years ago, and now it's beautiful. I know what I'm doing, I'm just really really frustrated. I really like the gray and am looking going with the colors in these pillows for accent colors. I've already purchase "hotel style" white bedding to give it a clean look, and give me the options of changing up the room colorwise in the future.
January 30, 2013 at 6:09AM   
elklaker
Do you really just prefer carpet to hardwood? If so, then carpet is fine. However, the floors look like they would refinish beautifully. Personal choice.
Your colors choices are very soothing. As was mentioned, great bedding makes a world of difference.
Please post your "after" pics. I am sure it will become a wonderful retreat.
January 30, 2013 at 6:09AM     
swewer
This is dreadful! There is zero romance going on in this room decor. GET RID of that ceiling fan/light combo. Put in a nice chandelier in brushed silver or nickel with a dimmer switch. Next, lose the poster bed. Opt instead for a nice rectangle head board ( not sleigh style, the room isnt big enough ). You could make one yourself and pad it with foam batting, and nail on some nailheads found in a $20 kit at Joanne Fabrics. Choose a med beige tone carpet, or a real wool area rug that is large enough to easily cover the majority of the floor. Home Goods has them in 8x10 for a few hundred dollars . Resist the temptation to buy synthetic rugs. They fuzz and pill and don't look nice after a while, unless you get the very low pile ones that resemble silk. Most importantly, move the TV out of the bedroom ( bad Feng Shui !) and the dresser it sits on.It seems you are on the right track with your rearrangement ideas. Dont make the mistake of having too many dressers in your room. Dont block the window too much- you need light to come in. When in doubt, choose neutral, faux silk ivory drapes around the window. With a brushed silver curtain rod. Bed Bath Beyond makes a nice one called ARGENTINA in Egg shell. This will pop nicely from your LIGHT taupe/ grey painted walls. Find some brushed silver side table lamps that match each other for the night stands. Ivory lamp shades. Not too tall- a medium size base and shade. Silver, whether its shiny or matte ( brushed ) is classic and they should all match each other. Get a down like comforter with ivory or white duvet cover. Your color and style will come through with your decor bed pillows, and accent throw draped across the end of your bed. By keeping your drapes, shades, and bed comforter ivory , you will be able to switch out the accent colors for a nice change whenever you tire of it. Lastly, clean out your closet junk and give to the Good Will. Most of it wont fit you, is out of style, and there is someone else who really could use it. Add a round mirror or two hung at eye level to open up spaces and reflect light. Put a reading chair in there if it will fit. Or a padded bench at the end of the bed if space permits.
January 30, 2013 at 6:11AM     
Christina Tucker
all great ideas, thank you SO MUCH. The bedroom furniture is going along with the light fixture. I am hoping that the additional closet space will help relieve the need for a dresser, at least a large one. The room is a decent size 13 x 16, but with the two closets taking up more than two feet of the length of the room, it looks very very small. I like the idea of a bench at the bottom of the bed.
January 30, 2013 at 6:22AM   
michigammemom
Love those West Elm pillows Christina. So much prettier than camo! :)
January 30, 2013 at 6:32AM     
apple_pie_order
I think you have a good handle on things. You know what you want and what the options are. The pillows are perfect inspiration pieces.

My two cents: your profile says you want to refinish the hardwood floors in the house. This room is a good place to start. They will be lovely (the photos already look pretty good, really).

A closet system with two hanger levels may work very well for you and your husband. Eight feet is only four feet per person, about 25-30% more than you have now (judging from the photos). That is not much. Realistically, unless most of your dresser drawers are empty, you will not be able to do without dressers. But if you use two levels of hangers, you will be able to hang more things and use fewer drawers. Before you start the tear down, please go through all your clothes to weed out the things you do not wear. Start with your closet, then the dresser(s). Be kind to yourself and keep only what you love and what fits.

Then help your husband sort through his stuff.

I recommend consignment for your current furniture because it looks like good quality. Pick something new without four posters because posters take up a lot of space.
January 30, 2013 at 7:42AM