Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help my living room !
cheryldalluhn
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help, I want new paint color, coffee table, end table ideas and lamps. and what to put on the walls for art or decor would love to get all new furniture but that's not an option right now. Would love any ideas inspiration
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cheryldalluhn
right now the walls are a gray/green and kitchen is gold.
January 30, 2013 at 6:02am     
olldroo
What a beautiful coloured lounge but the gold in your kitchen is going to make it very difficult. This room caught my eye as the colours look similar to your lounge.

[houzz=Cambridge Residence]

Would you be prepared to put a light grey in your kitchen to allow you more choice in your living area? Personally I would look at prettier and softer colours for your room, like a pink or a soft green on your walls and prettier pink green florals in your cushions. Your end tables and coffee table as you have them look fine and practical or you could choose an ottoman in lieu of the coffee table. I really think at this stage, you should have a search through Houzz photos to get an idea of what colours you would like yourself and styles of furniture. Artwork is a very personal thing, it is something you need to choose yourself and something that you can't rush, you need time. Again looking through Houzz photos will give you some ideas, but I would definitely remove the mirror and find either a long piece of artwork or several co-ordinating pieces hung lower than the mirror along the back of your lounge and I would hang long curtains at your window.

The single chair looks a little awkward as it is. I can't work out what is beside it, but can you move the chair so it looks more related to the other two sofas for better conversation. I don't know what the 4th wall is. Look for lamps with larger shades for more impact.

Two more rooms for you

[houzz=living]

[houzz=Melanie Coddington Design]
January 30, 2013 at 6:48am   
cheryldalluhn
thank you very much for your ideas !
January 31, 2013 at 2:28am     
charleee
If you're wanting to tie the two rooms together, I would: paint the walls a pale blue, and add a blue and gold area rug. [houzz=Handmade Heritage Mahal Blue/Gold Wool Rug] or even something lively, like this one: [houzz=Tree of Life Rug]
I would lose all of the pinks and reds. Your lamps would look better with a black shade. Perhaps relocate the kennel and push the chair back so it lines up with the edge of the window? For coffee and end tables, something more substantial, like this: [houzz=Circle Squared Coffee Table] As a finishing touch, the baskets under the tv could be changed to black.
January 31, 2013 at 4:16am   
cheryldalluhn
thank you for commenting, I really like the colors/ rugs ! this is definitely the direction I am thinking. The gold in the kitchen / dining is a bit dark, so I may lighten the paint in there as well... Out with with the pinks and reds !
January 31, 2013 at 4:26am     
charleee
Good for you! Please post after pics, we never get to see the after pics!
January 31, 2013 at 4:28am     
olldroo
Thanks bobbi - I really loved that pink but I was happy to lose the reds with it!!! As long as cheryl is happy that is all that matters.

I would never have picked that kennel.
January 31, 2013 at 4:32am     
cheryldalluhn
ok here is what I have accomplished so far, painted the walls- not sure if you can really tell the color but it is a medium blue/gray. Then i fixed up the occasional tables, which is better than what they were- but will begin my hunt for new ones. On to lamps..think those should be dark with lighter shades or maybe glass with dark shades ? still pondering what to put behind couch, I have a black/expresso round mirror about 3 feet in diameter , but still think it will need more .... looks really baby blue in the pic but its not.
February 1, 2013 at 2:33pm   
charleee
That was fast! You need to come to my house, I still have two rooms that need painting!

Do you see your lamp in the corner, dark with a light shade? It looks kind of lost; I would go larger, either with a glass or mercury glass base and a black shade. If you could find one with a glass base it will go with the coffee table you have now. I would still add an area rug, just to bring another color in.

Great painting job! Love the color.
February 1, 2013 at 2:38pm     
PRO
Banarsi Designs
I can totally see a colorful painting behind the couch area to give the room some vibrant tones. Then consider adding an accenting rug underneath the coffee table, some nice candle decor, and some fun pillows on the beautiful leather couch to make the room "POP!". I agree with bobbi, the lamps do look lost. I would check some stores to find some elegant lamps to incorporate there.
February 1, 2013 at 2:45pm     
cheryldalluhn
I love the mercury glass idea, but yes I agree that lamp is too small - shopping day tomorrow for lamps and rug :)
February 1, 2013 at 2:46pm     
olldroo
What colour is your lounge? In the first photos it looked pink, now it is grey. Can't believe you painted your walls so fast. Agree with Banarsi Designs with the painting - but behind both couches. I would keep your lampshade a light colour, black will not give you good light. Not sure what your carpet is, but I would hesitate to use an area rug as the backing can rub your carpet and spoil it. Would you consider an ottoman in lieu of a coffee table, not a busy design to detract from your paintings but you could bring in colour with it.
February 2, 2013 at 5:32am   
njmomma
Posting so I can see the end result. :-)
February 2, 2013 at 5:42am   
cheryldalluhn
the couch , loveseat and chair are tan leather (bad pics/lighting) , I really only have the wall behind the couch to put any art or wall decor on , Behind the love seat is open to kitchen
February 2, 2013 at 5:50am   
PRO
Bargain Backer
The room looks good overall, I might suggest adding something to the walls like some decor to offset the room some. Here are some suggestions to choose from. http://www.bargainbacker.com/Decor-_c_8.html
February 2, 2013 at 6:05am   
olldroo
Hahaha, it is either your lighting or my computer, I sure couldn't have got the colours more wrong. You must have thought I was nuts posting the pink rooms!! I didn't check on that kitchen wall, for some reason I thought it sloped diagonally - maybe that was someone else's room.

Well, if your lounges are tan, then I love the blue walls even more - my favourite colour combination at the moment. My lounge room is a work in progress at the moment with blue walls and blue lounge and I brought in an ottoman to take the plainness away until I get artwork happening. Unfortunately, the idiots made my ottoman up inside out as in the first photo, the second photo is a piece of the fabric the correct way.
February 2, 2013 at 6:15am     
charleee
Love your blues, roo!
February 2, 2013 at 6:41am     
olldroo
Bobbi, I just love how cool the room is now - amazing what colour can do.
February 2, 2013 at 7:15am     
charleee
roo, definitely!
February 2, 2013 at 7:19am   
cheryldalluhn
ok found lamps I like, bought something to try behind couch - I like the colors in it but really don't like it , kinda makes me want to throw up :) so I think it needs to go back, maybe something with color but not so juvenile looking (?) - I have a really hard time committing to art !
February 2, 2013 at 1:50pm     
olldroo
Cheryl - go for something rectangular in the artwork and don't try to force it. Art is something that comes to you, you can't just go out and expect to see the perfect piece, be patient, it may take you months to find, but when you do you will know it is right. Love the lamp though.
February 2, 2013 at 3:17pm     
charleee
Cheryl, don't throw up. Just return it if you don't like it!
February 2, 2013 at 4:34pm     
More Discussions
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Your favorite home of all time?
What's your favorite home that you have ever lived...
Exterior dilemma
We are looking at buying this house. It was built in...
Blah Kitchen
I have a Huge kitchen with many cabinets/drawers which...
Keep the Floor or Replace?
I have a beautiful, 30-year-old, hand laid, UNFINISHED...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.