Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my living room
sedabasmaci
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love modern&eclectic design. I have grey sofas in my living room. The TV unit, console and dining table are walnut/white. I want to add colour with curtains but i cannot decide the colour. Should it be a different colour or a different shade of grey? Do you have any other suggestion to make my living room more stylish?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Joyce A. Zuelke,ckd
Are you opposed to putting some color on the walls?A soft horizontal stripe would help to carry the lines of your sofas and furniture around the room. Also a patterned area rug would add interest. An area rug should really extend under the furniture and beyond at least a foot, creating a cozy enclosed space. I cannot tell what your windows look like, but only add color there if you want to draw attention to them. I hope this helps!
January 30, 2013 at 5:48am     
Jayme H.
There are a lot of people on here good with window coverings...just hang on...
January 30, 2013 at 5:59am     
Jayme H.
A few pics..sorry doubled one pic
January 30, 2013 at 6:03am     
Jayme H.
Different pics/I think some nice art and drapery would help/maybe a table of color?
January 30, 2013 at 6:06am     
DIAspoton
gray and white geo pattern drapes. check out ballard designs:firenze. or ikeas patterns :kajsamia or lappjung. add a larger rug with a punch. try a gray and white chevron or zebra stripe. add a bright,square glasstop coffee table with a red or hot pink or chartreuse base. (you can find one at a flea mkt ot thrift store and spray paint the base.
the top of the bookcase is begging for a cool pece of sculpture. large,long and low. or a series of contemporary paintings would work well there. or a collection of colorful blown glass you could gradually build.it's a great space. have fun with it.
and please uncover the dining table or replace with a more contemporary look. keeping it always set in beautiful china would help. go for solid white on gray placemats and napkins and geo silver napkin rings. tall silver look candleholders.
January 30, 2013 at 6:26am     
Jayme H.
I forgot lamps too ..lol
January 30, 2013 at 6:32am   
PRO
Oriental Weavers
Love the mid-century modern look! The trick here is to add some flare without overpowering the sleek minimalism.....This means COLOR! I would stick with a muted solid or go with a pattern that's very indicative of the mid century style. I agree with Jazz designs in that you need a larger rug with some color to really ground the space. I've attached some good options here... The existing white curtains don't really bother me at all....they allow lots of light in the space and are a soft offset to the clean lines throughout. If you decide to play with the option of a new rug, your existing white rug could work really well underneath dining table and play up the soft "girly" dining area. Love the subtle contrast of masculine vs. feminine.
January 30, 2013 at 6:48am     
sedabasmaci
Thank you so much for your helpfull comments! DIAspoton, we've just moved in this place. I have many plans to do with it but I'm kind of lost in the inspiration section! The tablecloth is left from the kids painting (my niece and nephew)it is not a part of the design :) I like the idea of grey&white curtains. I am also planning to replace the console (on the right) to behind the big dark grey sofa. I may put the light grey sofa to the console's place(all the way right). And I will buy 2 chair (may be scandinavian?) to the place of the light grey sofa. What do you think?
Thanks again to everyone. I love the ideas!
January 30, 2013 at 6:53am   
sedabasmaci
Sphinx, thanks a lot. I think in the same way with you about the size of rug, but this is the biggest one that I could find (6 square meter) in a rug store (http://www.atlashali.com.tr/urun-yasam_105_0_1867.html) Maybe I can order a custom one. In Turkey there are lots of alternatives in the traditional hand rugs, but there aren't many options in the modern rugs. I searched for a chevron pattern but I couln't find any. What do you thing about adding a cow leather by ikea to the entrance? (http://www.ikea.com.tr/urundetay/60222932/koldby_inek_postu.aspx)
I loved the dark yellow rug by the way.
January 30, 2013 at 7:13am   
sedabasmaci
I ordered these as side tables: http://koleksiyon.com.tr/web/69-194-1-1/koleksiyon/ev/urunler__sehpalar/bremen. I am considering a modern ottoman like this:
What do you think? A coffee table or an ottoman? Which one would be better?
January 30, 2013 at 7:23am   
sedabasmaci
Jazz Designs thank you for your advise on wall colours. I will consider the stripes. But I don't think that apartment's owner allow this :) How about striped curtains on the sides?
January 30, 2013 at 7:27am   
PRO
Joyce A. Zuelke,ckd
Striped curtains could work, with a broad horizontal stripe. I love your ottomans. Any time a piece can have more than one purpose its a winner!
January 30, 2013 at 10:50am     
PRO
Oriental Weavers
You can find many of our rugs online! We offer a 8'x11' which should work better in the space.
http://www.amazon.com/Oriental-Weavers-Rectangle-Handcrafted-Polyester/dp/B008NE30RA/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1359657643&sr=1-1&keywords=cosmo+shag

I like the idea of a cowhide accent! Nice ottoman too! If you want to go the table route, check out the classic Mid-Century "Noguchi Table".
January 31, 2013 at 10:53am     
Mike Slater
You've got a great space. The paint on your walls seems similar to mine, but I wish I had the light you have. A bit of black might be useful. Sphinx's suggestion of a black nagouchi table is excellent. You might consider a Hans Wegner shell chair with black leather, if that's in your budget. You can also get it in cowhide. (I read in another Houzz blog that cowhide rugs are omnipresent in Sweden.) A black Eames lounge chair might also work.

You could keep a white rug, just buy one larger and with a bit more texture. A Flokati rug could work and is likely available in larger sizes.

Light blue, or sky blue, works very well with cream walls, white trim, and walnut furniture. A soft green would be more subtle but still add color.

Red, such as Persian rug and a planter work well, too. I've attached an example that brings in some red. It will change feel of the room, though, in a way that blue or green would not.

Good luck.
February 3, 2013 at 1:06am     
designideas4me
I looked at a bunch of pictures for you with walnut and white laquar and they all have white sheers or white shades on the window. I also have white sheers and walnut coffee table and white couch and chairs. I would not bring in black.

February 3, 2013 at 2:51am     
lydiamuir
Nice room. Ok the one simple thing you can do is change the pillows on your couch to match in with the colours in your rug. Often it's good to pick up the colours in either your wall art or rug. So adding creams whites, browns, bronzes, will automatically modernise your room. The table cloth you have on your table at the moment does not fit I with your modern theme. You could add some artwork in to your room, even those shelves you have you could add more sculptured pieces.
February 3, 2013 at 4:41am     
PRO
Design Mode
This picture has sheers & lined sheers to cut the brightness of the sun, and keep the light, airy colour. I like that they have a dark rug to ground the room.
February 3, 2013 at 5:07am     
designideas4me
I see you live in Turkey? Thats cool. Never would have guessed.
February 4, 2013 at 2:08am   
sedabasmaci
Yes, I live in Turkey. Why not? :)
February 4, 2013 at 2:49am   
amgraham
to me it looks stylish enough already. maybe add a coffee table but really it looks good already. not cluttered. wish it was my house. :)
February 4, 2013 at 4:25am     
Lizabeth
I think you have an excellent beginning. I would like to see bigger pillows with a bolder colors. Perhaps larger yellow ones. I love yellow with gray, Orange works too . You can repeat the colors in the window coverings. I like to see a color used three times in a room. Just my opinion. So yellow pillows, yellow accent piece and yellow drapes. Or whatever color brings you a smile.
February 4, 2013 at 5:27am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Use grey/white and a pop of color. Get rid of that table cloth. The table has to look better than that. Add a cool coffee table. Any one shown above would work well
February 4, 2013 at 5:33am     
designideas4me
what kind of wood flooring do you have? Looks nice.
February 4, 2013 at 5:39am     
sedabasmaci
Thank you for all these great ideas! I should have started this discussion before. I am sorry that I thought no one would answer me!

designideas4me, it's laminated wood flooring: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminate_flooring
They are very often used in Turkey. Especially in new buildings. There is a thin layer of wood on its' surface. I found the similar one in US for you: http://www.lowes.com/pd_295648-42870-295648_4294856495__?productId=3031123&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1
February 4, 2013 at 6:18am   
PRO
Design Mode
Since you are in Turkey, take yourself to the International award winning Designers at the Autoban Gallery in Instanbul, which I think qualifies as a Design trip of a lifetime. I think you NEED the pumkin side table and the cloud coffee table. Their lighting is amazing too. Please take pictures and post them on Houzz as an article!
www.autoban212.com
February 4, 2013 at 6:19am     
sedabasmaci
Design Mode, those are great pieces! But I have a lower budget :(( I already ordered these as side tables: http://koleksiyon.com.tr/web/69-194-1-1/koleksiyon/ev/urunler__sehpalar/bremen Do you think they would work? They are not so stylish but I liked them because they would be useful for each corner when I have guests. I may need to find a coffee table that creates more impact than my side tables. I am hesitating to ask the price of Autoban's cloud table :) But I love the idea of the metal & wood mixture! Thanks.
February 4, 2013 at 7:08am   
DIAspoton
i found rugs you might like. go to ballard designs(sorry you'll have to google it i'm having trouble posting photos)go to all rugs p 5. my favorite is crawley in nickel or latte. it's totally unexpected for contemporary but i think it would look great. next to it are chevron and zebra patterns, also good choices. if you like the crawley, think about a glass tob coffee table on a white iron base. or look for a basket tray table. your end tables were a good choice.
February 4, 2013 at 8:07am     
Mike Slater
Great tables. I just bought C shaped table in steel and marble for my living room redo. It's great yours are nesting. We seem to be on a similar schedule. :-)
February 4, 2013 at 1:13pm     
designideas4me
Hey I would love to take that trip of a lifetime to Turkey to see the design gallery. You know its funny, we get a picture in our minds of a country or city and so when I saw your pics I guess I was suprised that the same style and wealth and decor was common in Turkey as it is here. I guess i am nieve.
February 4, 2013 at 6:49pm     
sedabasmaci
designideas4me, Turkey is a cultural mosaic which has the characteristics of both East and West. This country has a great history that has brought a unique sense of aesthetics to the people here. A traditional Turkish home would not seem like mine. It would look more authentic. I am just not that traditional kind. I feel more like a global person. Actually, we all have the same resources. Watching same TV channels (via satellite), navigating same web sites (via internet), reading same magazines (via global markets). I think we need to benefit from our cultural differences. When you take that trip to Turkey, don't forget to see Ottoman Palaces as well as the design galleries. Or if you cannot wait to see: http://www.3dmekanlar.com/topkapi_palace.htm :)
February 5, 2013 at 12:51am     
designideas4me
I doubt I will have the means to see turkey but you never know. I did travel to many european countries when younger and the middle east as well. You speak english very well. I guess I said that because I knew a doctor about 20 yrs ago who exported medical equipment to turkey to help the poor. He was Turkish and told me it was a poor country.
February 5, 2013 at 3:28am   
sedabasmaci
There are poor people, there are rich people. The gap between them getting bigger. He might have been right. Turkey was poorer 20 years ago than it is now.
(Thanks, I don't speak well enough yet. I write better. ;) )
February 6, 2013 at 4:53am   
More Discussions
Wolf/Viking or Kitchenaid?
Just got a quote for a 36" cooktop and hood, built...
What to do with this space?
New office space in need of some help. Any midcentury/eclectic...
Cottage in need of Curb Appeal - front facing fireplace help!
We have a nice little cottage that we have been working...
What would you put here?
Hi All, Last time I asked if I should take this backsplash...
Bathroom Layout Advice
Hi All, We are in the process of building our new...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.