Floors are finished, we have a clean slate...please, oh PLEASE help me decorate!
Just had our 5 inch rift and quartered white oak with Early American stain/satin finish installed. Now I need LOTS of help! The space is kitchen/living room; all attached. Walls are SW Camelback and the accent wall in kitchen is SW Mink from the Livable Luxe Collection. The plan is to install 4-5 inch tall, some shade of white, base and new casings and paint the doors to match. I don't love the kitchen cabinets, but replacing them at this point is not an option (however I'm also not opposed to painting them). We have stainless appliances. The fireplace insert has to stay (although we'll be getting a nicer one in a year or so).
What I need help with:
1. Furniture...I'm excited to FINALLY be able to get new furniture. We need a kitchen table and furniture for the living room/hearth room space. We are using the formal dining room as an office, so the kitchen is the only eating space. There are 6 of us, including 4 kids (7,6,3,3). So choices need to make sense for our reality. I gravitate towards transitional style with a touch of rustic. I really like trestle bases on tables and some distressing, but want a flat top (no groves for food to get stuck) and my husband thinks a counter height rectangular table would be a good choice. We found a Legacy Woodland Ridge table that he likes (it's just okay for me) and I also kind of like the Legacy Classic Portland pub table.
2. Furniture placement in room...I've attached a floor plan.
3. Window treatments for big window and adjoining doors and kitchen window. Sun sets on this side of the house so it gets hot. Curtains with grommets, perhaps?
4. Lighting....it currently stinks and if you notice the current fixtures you'll understand why.
5. Living room/hearth room....how to use this space????? We have a larger family room in the front of the house with carpet, comfy furniture and a bigger tv. So...how to best use this space?
Please just tell me what works and what is not a good idea...I truly value the opinions on here. I have a very hard time pulling things together. The space is long and narrow and I'm lost. Also, if the things I've mentioned liking seem all wrong, PLEASE tell me! We live on 9 beautiful wooded acres and enjoy the outdoors, clean lines, natural elements.
I'll include more pictures below. Thank you ALL in advance!