Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need paint color help for a large and sunny basement family room
angelaniggeling
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is a fairly large large lower level room with lots of windows and a walk-out patio door. We moved into this home a few months ago and just kind of "put" things where they are.... not sure of placement of furniture yet. Main thing is paint colors. The trim is dated stained out that we are replacing with wider soft white to match the rest of the house. The carpet is a a light beige with a slight warm undertone. The rest of the house is a grey tone. Do I need to stay in the same color family? Can I go a dark color like navy to offset the white? So confused... Any suggestions PLEASE:)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Here are some navy/white combos with orange as an accent. You seem to have enough light to use navy on the walls opposite the windows that get direct sunlight. I don't think you've left enough space between the FP and the pool table. Consider built-in shelves for TV around the FP and move the pool table to the other end of the room, putting the big white unit under the overhanging soffit and adding some more shelves where it has the opening for the TV. Paint the entire wall on that side of the room navy, including the face of the soffit. Group your seating in front of the FP/TV end of the room with a game/snack table and chairs in the window alcove. It is possible you could paint the alcove navy too since it gets light from every direction. Part of your seating there could be a bench under the large window. The rest of the walls I'd paint to match your trim. Anchor the seating on a beautiful area rug.
Laguna Cottage 1
Laguna Cottage 2
West Coast Hampton
RGN Construction
January 30, 2013 at 8:58AM   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
angelaniggeling
Thanks for your ideas. I knew it wasn't set up right. That black thing isn't a fireplace, it's actually a coat bench that I had no other place to put once we moved. Do you think I should move the whit unit to where the coat bench is or leave where it's at. Thanks for the great pictures, too!
January 30, 2013 at 10:19AM   
More Discussions
Tile behind chimney hood vent
The tile we have chosen for our remodel is a glass...
Outdoor Flooring
So attached is our brick and the color of our porch...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Slow livingroom redo
I was planning on redecorating my livingroom, money...
Need advice on wood trim in basement
We're going to finish off our basement and are considering...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.