powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
to paint or not to paint??..that is the question!!!..
Marlene Daye
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi there!!..country home love it but not the orange oak cabinets!!..would like to paint cayenne color..house has warm tones/teak trim and doors..
Should I paint top and bottom a cayenne color or revarathane the top and paint the bottoms.
Will buy new hardware...how about a dark bronze/black tone to tie in the kitchen set..cup pulls for the drawers..
not interested in cream color..
will this make the kitchen too busy with colors??
I am a desperate woman!!..
ps...need a new fan too!!..should I go bigger??..and would love a pic too!!..
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Check out rustoleumtransformations.com for a solution! Remove the fluted trim over the window for a start and start shopping for a new light fixture.
January 30, 2013 at 9:17AM   
Marlene Daye
yes!!..we will be having the kitchen paint sprayed etc by a professional!!..right now the fluted trim is holding a fluorescent light screwed to the back of it..will be changing that and add a few pot lights in the ceiling around the cabinets
But what about color choice that I have picked that I would like a nay or Yay too!!..or a subsitution!!..
My hubby and I don't have the nerves for painting it ourselves!..we are diy'd out!!..
Need to keep the light/fan but definitelt need a new one ..this one is 42 inch wide should I get a 52 inch??
January 30, 2013 at 9:27AM   
PRO
Risner Cabinetry
Hello Marlene, careful with the Cayenne; possibly will clash big time with the white appliances. I suggest painting some scrap wood and holding it next to the appliances before committing to the color or professional. Your cabinet doors and trim are very traditional. I suggest a distressed blue will give this kitchen the look it needs. Good luck with your project!
January 30, 2013 at 9:39AM     
PRO
nFORMAL design
Risner Cabinetry has a great suggestion that I think would fit the style nicely. My personal preference isn't for arched top cabinets, but sometimes we have to make lemon meringue pie out of lemons. The distressed milk paint look could work wonders. However, I'd probably repaint the kitchen and go with lighter cabinets. I'm sure it was a dark day, but that small kitchen probably could use all the light and airiness it could get. Also, refinishing cabinetry isn't the easiest to do. Many manufacturers use a spray on conversion varnish that is really tough...and putting the wrong type of finish over it might make a huge mess.

Also, as someone suggested, get rid of the scroll work above the window. The other option is to refinish the cabinet frames and buy new cabinet doors.
January 30, 2013 at 9:48AM     
mpoulsom
I think I would do black on the bottom cabinets and the cayenne on top, but only IF you can change the appliances to black or stainless...
January 30, 2013 at 9:55AM   
kfstirling
I am in the midst of painting my golden oak cabinets a cream colour because my walls are a brightish sage colour and I have red/sage curtains - I didn't want any more colour in the room ... I had my formerly white table sprayed black and decided against black/dark bronze cabinet pulls because I thought that they looked too "matchy" with the table and too stark against the cream cabinets (instead, I chose a pewter colour). All in all I am very pleased (thus far) but it is a ridiculously long process. If I were you I would not simply re-varathane the top cabinets because I think golden oak is very dated. I think cayenne is a beautiful colour but I wouldn't have enough courage to use it on cabinets ... Plus I'm not sure that it wouldn't be "too much" with the strong wall colour. Have attached a few pictures of my project - early stages. I will be switching up the appliances to stainless to contrast with the cream.
January 30, 2013 at 10:01AM   
Marlene Daye
thank you!!..i did think of the blue also for the cabinets!!..hoping to get SS appliances when these perish!!..I think blue or cayenne cupboards those white appliance will still stand out!!.. but still scared of going to light in color as the rest of the house has darker tones..kitchen has two sets of french doors leading into living room with brown leather furniture with cranberry colored drapes and dyjon mustard colored wall..would med blue cabinets be better than med cayenne color!!..I
January 30, 2013 at 10:06AM   
Marlene Daye
oops!!..here's the living room!!..
January 30, 2013 at 10:08AM     
Marlene Daye
lots of leather I know but its so much better than brushing the fabric sofa set we had before.. ..2 dogs..2 cats!..
January 30, 2013 at 10:10AM     
Marlene Daye
Hi there!...kfstirling!..your kitchen is looking good!!..I can handle blue and red but not cream or white!!..I'm odd like that!..lol..there is not one thing white in the house except these appliances!!..Hubby wants to wait till they perish..15 yrs old approx now..and I stuck with them..or well its not like Martha will be visitng anytime soon lol!!

.i was thinking of two tone cabinets maybe I could use a dark yellow mustardy color on top and dark cayenne on bottom!!..imagine how I fall alsleep at night!!!...not very "well" lol.
will but a small can of color and paint a board to try out the color!!..
January 30, 2013 at 10:19AM   
kfstirling
It's a huge decision - those are a lot of cabinets! You must have "searched" for red cabinets here on Houzz? There are a few examples - one with mustard lower cabinets and red uppers ... Good luck! I look forward to seeing your finished kitchen!
January 30, 2013 at 10:31AM   
Marlene Daye
yes i have seen as many cabinets as I could find!!..now that brings up another question does the darker color go on the top or the bottom??..as a rule??..like mustard on top cayenne on bottom...and I have many shades of berry in every room ...its kinda my "Colour"..and no I haven't gone over the edge on it yet thats why I think the cayenne will blend in nicely!!..

I can't decide between all cayenne ..or a mix of mustard top cayenne bottom..especially since the walls in both kitchen and livingroom are shades of mustard!..lol..I have till sometime in March to ponder over this in my dreams.nightmares!!!..
January 30, 2013 at 10:39AM   
PRO
Stoneshop
Generally, the darker cabinets go on the bottom and the lighter color goes on the top. It keeps the space feeling balanced and not "top heavy".
January 30, 2013 at 10:48AM     
Marlene Daye
good!!..my opinion too!!..just need to try a few shades of red..muted tones..
January 30, 2013 at 10:56AM   
PRO
Happnie Homes
Whatever colors you choose, make sure your painter applies an oil based stain blocking bonding primer. I use a product called Cover Stain. This is will give you good adhesion and prevent any bleeding from the wood. I typically will take off the doors and spray them in an isolated area and brush and roll the body of the cabinets. This can all be done without having to empty the cabinets. Good luck!

You definitely want to sand. Most any surface should be sanded prior to painting. It helps to give you a smooth surface and a better bond. When going over polyurethaned cabinets you want to sand as well as use a quality primer. Cover Stain is similar to Kilz but far supperior. Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore have similar products. Cover Stain also comes in a low odor formula. I have started using this more in homes as the regular Cover Stain and other products like it are pretty potent. The following links will take you to both products. You can probably find out where to locate it on the website as well.
http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=222 http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=225
January 30, 2013 at 11:12AM     
Marlene Daye
oh!!..really ...My guy said that he sands the cabinets before paniting would that be the same thing..we live .in NB...Canada ..that product doesn't sound familar??..will check for it!!..thank you
January 30, 2013 at 11:33AM   
kfstirling
Marlene, I used BIN 1-2-3 on my cabinets - after sanding them. I don't think we have Cover Stain in Canada (I live in Ottawa). I'm also using Benjamin Moore "Advance" as the paint product, which is specifically for cabinets as it is "self-leveling". The Advance pamphlet recommends a Benjamin Moore primer that's supposed to work in conjunction with that specific product (however BIN is working fine for me). If you're not having your cabinets lacquered (which is what my kitchen table was sprayed with) you might check out "Advance".
January 30, 2013 at 11:44AM   
Marlene Daye
thank you !!..never heard of Bin 123?? will look for it!!..I will go check out the colors at BM "advance"..just having the guy spray paint/2 coats varathane.
January 30, 2013 at 11:49AM   
kfstirling
I don't think you need the varathane, if you use Advance (however - Advance is less shiny than a semi-gloss finish, so if you want the cabinets to be shiny I guess you could top with varathane). I think you can get any BM colour in that formulation, so the sky is the limit. Also, for the BIN - there is a blue can vs. a red can - I'll check it out when I get home and get back to you. The blue didn't work as well - I think the red can product has a shellac "blocker" that blocks the wood bleeding.
January 30, 2013 at 11:56AM   
Marlene Daye
oh thanks!...must be a darn good paint not to have varathane on it!..maybe my paint guy is just to his old way eh!!..gonna have to shake him up!!..
January 30, 2013 at 12:02PM   
PRO
Stuart Nordin Design
Definitely paint! Here's a pic of a little kitchen facelift we did by just painting the cabinets and replacing the pulls with Restoration Hardware pieces. Might want to consider a Luce Plan Blow fan if you're into contemporary design. I love the all transparant version. http://www.luceplanusa.com/Prodotti/1/2/156/t/87/Blow
January 30, 2013 at 12:02PM     
kfstirling
Speak to the Benjamin Moore people ... I'm very pleased with the finish on my cabinets. Here's the BIN product: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=216
January 30, 2013 at 12:04PM   
jofrieds
I would look at the other colours of your home. You really don't want the kitchen to stand out. I recommend blending it with the other colours in your home. Personally I believe you might get "tired" of the cayenne colour - stick with neutrals - they always look best and you can always accent with the cayenne if you like. Good luck :)
January 30, 2013 at 12:22PM   
Marlene Daye
kfstirling!!..its say that with Bin123 you don't have to sand!!..But you did any way or did you just do a light sanding??..
January 30, 2013 at 12:26PM   
Marlene Daye
Stuart Nordin Design!!..that is a great color makeover!!..Wow..so could you pick a color out for me??..to suit my warm tones and Teak doors/trim...!!!!!!!!!...
January 30, 2013 at 12:30PM   
kfstirling
I sanded the cabinets first with a mouse sander, 80 grit sandpaper - to remove the varathane as much as possible. Then I painted on the BIN - then sanded again very lightly with a very fine sandpaper - then painted one coat of Advance - very light sanding again (you run your hands over the surface and if you feel anything that's rough you just run the fine grit sandpaper over it) - then the second coat of Advance ... then another very light sanding. As I said, it's a long process!
January 30, 2013 at 12:31PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Re: cabinet fluted molding "crown". I haven't read the thread yet. Crown molding is always beautiful and sophisticated, detailed and finished. A crown looks great on walls and cabinetry. Always is regal on a king!

Crown molding is regal and sophisticated.

January 30, 2013 at 1:15PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I agree with Risner, color - test a sample and see it as if in the real application.
January 30, 2013 at 1:19PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Hello, Paint the cabinets unless you want a huge expense to replace them. I like a lighter color for you.
Try not to decorate around appliances that you will be replacing. Sounds like they may be close to breaking down anyway. Choose a cabinet color that will work with the ultimate future plan re: wall and cabinet color and dining room. Keep all three areas in mind.

For the time being, I would add large white accessories in the dining room to help with the starkness of the white appliances, not knowing when you will need to replace them.

The most inexpensive change is to spray paint the star medallion above the buffet - white or cream. You can always change the star color again later. Or replace the star with a predominately white or cream artwork or white or cream framed mirror, round or rectangle or starburst shape. This will tie the two rooms together without a lot of expense until you get rid of the white. If you choose a mirror in the dining room, try to keep the kitchen counters pared down with stuff. It will be reflected in the dining mirror.

I like the idea of white or cream cabinets best. You have a lot of other color choices than you can use in smaller doses. New cabinets are expensive. Colored cabinets in darker tones? You may tire of the color sooner than you would like. Darker tones will create a heavier feeling. Light soft colors will also work but be sure you will love it for a long time. White or cream will be a neutral to work with anymore future dreams.

On walls and countertops, sprinkle some of your favorite colors in smaller doses in your accessories or art.

A possible option for a couple of cabinets is to .. remove the center panels of some doors. Replace with glass. Display colorful glassware or dinnerware. There's the touch of color also.

January 30, 2013 at 2:08PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
If you are keeping your dining table set? You could also spray paint the top only - white or cream. Have a glass made to protect the finish. Place on top. When your plans for color change or finances limit you for a new table set, re-painting the top again in a different color will give you a fresh take while working toward your ultimate goals for the rooms.

Have fun, ponder everyone's suggestions. Good Luck!
January 30, 2013 at 2:27PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks to Marlene and Paulette
January 31, 2013 at 8:02PM   
Marlene Daye
Thanks for all your help!!!...
February 1, 2013 at 9:20AM   
Jennie Harris
I think you should go with Cayenne doors only on the top, and all the rest of the cabinets and doors any color from light grey to black depending on what you think would look best with the flow of your house. From what you've said, blue and white/cream are not the ideal solution for you. Go for it!
February 1, 2013 at 8:14PM   
gunnsharon
Marlene did you consider eliminating a few of the upper cabinets? This would give you some wall space and visual breathing space from the massive/dominent colour of the cabinets. This would then allow for some art work / neutral colour or a colour connection with your dining room / other nearby wall colours. I will check and see if I have some pics to attach for you.
February 1, 2013 at 8:47PM     
sjkingston
Dear Desperate, Since you like the darker colors in your home and want to bring in Cayenne, I'd try to identify what style you like first. It brings to mind several looks as jumping off points, rustic, Italian, Mediterranean or even American Southwest. Once you've identified a look, it will be easier to make final decisions. But working from a gold wall color, one option is to pick a similar shade such as a shade light or darker, and do buttery gold cabinets with a hint of glaze on the edges of the molding to give it a custom finish. Consider removing the appliance garage (it's dating the kitchen) and putting glass fronts in the four cabinet doors on the right side above the counter. You could introduce the cayenne as the inside or back color, but consider painting the inside of the glass front ones the same color as the exterior and using cayenne pottery and glassware to introduce the color. Also, if your room is big enough, consider an island (fixed or movable) with a butcher block top and a cayenne body or legs (if open style). If you remove the appliance garage, you may need to replace the counter. A wild but unique solution would be inexpensive Ikea butcher block counters stained cayenne. Another starting point would be to find a fresh current fabric (ikat or suzanni) in a color combo you love with cayenne in the pattern, and use the greys, taupes, browns or blacks in the fabric to set the colors in the room.
February 1, 2013 at 10:39PM   
sjkingston
Also, remove the wood valence over the sink, and if you do glass fronts, consider tempered glass shelves down lit from a puck light wired into the top of the cabinets, which you have easy access to. You might also extend the cabinets up to the ceiling by putting a flat board fronting the gap between the top of the cabinet and the ceiling, and using trim and crown molding to finish off. Since the cabinets are straight runs, it would be too difficult and you can find info on how to do out in the blogger world.
February 1, 2013 at 10:43PM   
sfrealtor
Looks like you have blue tiles in the backsplash and tints of blue in the floor and counters. It seems a cayenne color may be too much but definitely paint them. You can also modify the cabinets to update them. Here is an example http://theletteredcottage.net/kitchen/
February 1, 2013 at 10:59PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Sjkingston, i like your idea about kitchen island. Not sure at this point what feeling for the rooms are. Agree with identifying a style and a feeling.
February 1, 2013 at 11:33PM   
Marlene Daye
yes we had a small island but the dishwasher and the fridge door were getting banged alot!!..lol..love the idea of glass fronts!..yes I'm a rustic and a wino....lol..we make our own wine and I love the roosters!!..I'm lnterested in the kits for rustoleumtransformations.com ...that may be in my future!!..I'd say I'm traditional/country.girl with a bottle of wine in each hand!!...lol...thanks for all the ideas!!..
February 4, 2013 at 1:14PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks to margo720.
February 4, 2013 at 11:58PM   
laurienordin
These are my laundry room cupboards that we painted. They are oak like your kitchen cupboards. Be aware that the oak grain shows through the paint. I don't mind it though. Have fun with your project. We used Advanced Benjamin Moore paint.
December 31, 2013 at 1:41PM