Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with lighting decision
sherri404
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We put on an addition with the intention of moving our table to this bump out next to new family room. I bought a nickel 5 up light chandelier to put in the center of the room over the table.

However, we have figured out that our kids are too little to move the table just yet (1 and 3 years old). I need to see them while emptying the dishwasher, making dinner etc.

So anyway, this bump out is probably going to be a play area.

Do I hang chandelier anyways or get a flush mount light for now? any thought on how to use space welcome, too. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I think the chandelier could be okay as long as the ceiling is high enough and you won't bump your head on it when you walk under it. You could tie the chain up (if it is set up this way) to raise it for the present and lower it later down the road. This all depends on the possible clearnace underneath the fixture after it is installed.
January 30, 2013 at 8:20am   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Good morning Sherri,
I understand needing to keep an eye on your kids. (Been there!) :)
If hung at the proper height, without the table underneath it, people will be bumping their heads on the chandelier. It seems a shame to have to buy a second fixture, but I do think it would be a good idea for now.
When purchasing your semi-flush mount try to find one that will be an upgrade to another fixture in your home. That way when the time comes to hang the chandelier, you can move the semi-flush to another location rather than getting rid of it.
Have fun! The babies grow up so fast!!!
Caroline
January 30, 2013 at 8:22am     
sherri404
Thanks for the input. I measured and the light would hang down about 26". The ceilings are 8' so that is too low. I'm short but some of my family would definitely hit their heads on it!

However, I thought about what you said about moving the fixtures around. My dining room fixture is a very informal semi-flush mounted (that never looked quite right) so I'm going to switch it out for the new chandelier. Maybe it will end up staying there?! Thanks again! And now I won't worry about my boys literally hanging from the chandelier (for now)!
January 30, 2013 at 12:50pm     
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
:)
January 31, 2013 at 6:50am