Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Purchased new bed. Need help on choosing furniture to go with it
jprincess222
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We bought the Jameson bed from Z Gallerie (see pic). It is a champagne color. I love the look of vintage or mid-century combined with contemporary or traditional. I am having a hard time deciding what color/type of nightstands would be best with the bed. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the bedroom, but it is a new house, so it's completely empty right now, and the wall paint is a light neutral color (that most new construction houses come with) that I plan to paint in a medium gray color. I love the Park Mirrored bedside table from Pottery Barn (see pic). We currently have one nightstand that is more traditional, the Brighton nightstand from Crate and Barrel (see pic).
Would it look horrible if the Brighton nightstand was on one side of the bed, and the mirrored nightstand on the other? I'm afraid that if both nightstands are dark wood, the look would be too traditional, but if both nightstands are mirrored, it might be a little too much. But all of the pictures I've been seeing on Houzz have matching nightstands on either side of the bed. We also need a dresser, so suggestions on what color/style dresser to get for the room would also be helpful.

Thank you so much. I really need help visualizing what would look best with our new bed.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
0825sam
Love the bed and the mirrored night stand! I am planning on getting very similar for our room so I like your style. I think mismatched nighstands are fine, but I am not getting a complementary vibe from these particular two. Maybe this will help:

2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:14AM
0825sam
For the cost of one table from pottery barn, you could get two from pier 1. It's not quite as sleek. http://www.pier1.com/Hayworth-Nightstand/2222469,default,pd.html
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:18AM
jprincess222
Wow thank you so much for the article! It is so helpful. It shows a couple bedrooms with very different nightstands and has tips to balance them out (identical lamps, artwork) in case I go with the mismatched look.

Are you planning to do a matching mirrored night stand with the bed?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:26AM
0825sam
I'm not sure - I was thinking I would but I am definitely not opposed to mismatched if I come across things I love separately. Right now I don't have the budget to buy two of anything, unfortunately! We just did a 1/2 house renovation and the master bedroom furniture got put last on the list.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:33AM
jprincess222
One final question: if I decide to go with matching mirrored nightstands (whether from Pottery Barn or Pier One-thank you for the inexpensive option!), what kind of dresser could I get that is not mirrored but would still go with the bed and night stands?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:36AM
PRO
BeyondFrames
Love the bed! The mirrored night stand is very elegant and I'd say that having 2 of them and looking gorgeous it very much depends on the size of your bedroom and the overall design and accessorizing. Personally I'd go for matching night stands.
You could also use some night stands that match you taste and repaint them if they are not the right color for you.
If you go for mirrored night stands then a monochromatic and simple lines dresser would be my choice ( ikea has some inexpensive choices as well - maybe it's a good idea to check their website). The color may vary from white to cream, light soft blue, or soft silver or others - depending on the color scheme you choose and the overall feeling you want to achieve.

Or, if you really like the mirrored furniture but you feel to pieces would be too much then the mirrored dresser with 2 simple night stands could be your choice.

Also, when using mirrored furniture , it is important to warm up the space with rugs and drapes.

I added some pictures for ideas .
You could also find this helpful. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/196208
You could find treasures at thrift store and yard sale and with a little bit of work and creativity to turn them into the furniture of your dreams.
Contemporary Dressers Chests And Bedroom Armoires
"Clairmonte" Mirrored DresserĀ 
Three-Drawer Petite Chest
Butler Trays + Stands | west elm
Metro 2 Drawer Bedside Chest, White
Proof Nightstand
Hudson Side Table
Meade Nightstand - Williams-Sonoma Home
Bellaire Table by Jan Showers
Bay Trading Silver Line Table
Michelle's Master Bedroom.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 9:58AM
Dove Cochrane
I'm totally in love with the mismatched night stands.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 10:07AM
PRO
nFORMAL design
Or maybe you could do something totally custom. I'm a fan of the classics. Not plugging us, but depending on the rest of the room -- something very clean to contrast that bed -- you could use something similar to our "One Night Stand". This is a rendering, but semi-custom. Dark walnut, simple chrome leg...timeless.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 10:24AM
PRO
Ekhaya Designs
Beautiful bed, love the lines of that bed. Here are some pictures of mirrored night stands. I like these because although they are mirrored the mirrors have a slight aged look to them. That little bit of an aged look to them adds depth to the pieces. The chandeliers are awesome you could hang the square ones on either side of the bed. They are sleek mixing straight lines and a little bling or if you like more curvy lines the other chandelier just above the bed would look awesome too.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 5:31AM
jprincess222
i love the mirrored dresser and the square chandelier. thanks for the design tip. where are they from?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:43AM
0825sam
For some reason I cannot figure out how to put a photo in my comment, but if you search houzz photos for "the olivers house" there is a bedroom with mirrored nighstands. Off to the left, there is a wood desk that looks like it's an antique or reclaimed wood. That is what I would have in mind for a dresser. I like the idea of mixing something rustic but still with clean lines into the room. Especially if you have some bling with the nightstands and lighting.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 7:03AM
lisabarnett67
What about putting mirrors inside the front panels of the drawer of the nightstand you have? And maybe a glass knob? Would that make them tie together? Is that a way to combine the looks you like? I think matching nighstands does look better, keeps it symmetrical. You could buy another one and do the same.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 7:03AM
PRO
BeyondFrames
@sam0705
To link directly to another houzz page copy and paste the url for that page into your comment.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:56AM
PRO
RW INTERIORS
Mirrored chests or a walnut wood would both look great but provide different looks. Mirror provides a lighter feel while the wood anchors the space.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 8:43AM
PRO
Ekhaya Designs
@jprincess222 the items I posted are from a company called Arhaus Furniture. I work for this company if you are interested I would love to help you.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 8:18PM