Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
black appliances with black cabinents
photogra4er
January 30, 2013 in Before & After
I wasn't too crazy about my kitchen so I decided to do some simple upgrades to it. I kept all my black appliances and bought new light fixtures, new countertops/sink and I painted all the cabinents black. I actually like this new look. Not quite sure if I should add some type of backsplash or leave it like it is. What do you think?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clouderk
WOW, what a difference. Looked nice before and even nicer now. I love the dark colours, i never shy away from them. Hope you achieved the look you wanted and are happy!
8 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:55AM
PRO
Julia Williams, ASID
If your paint is scrubable (meaning glossy or semi-glossy), you can get away with no backsplash. If not, I think adding some color with a glass tile backsplash (pulling in your brown & yellows, plus maybe a deep red or green) would also look lovely. Good job!
6 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:59AM
PRO
Stoneshop
This looks beautiful! Very timeless and sophisticated. I love it!

Your space does look nice without a backsplash; however, personally, I always opt for a backsplash when possible. I think that it really finishes off a kitchen and ties everything together. If you have a more classic, traditional style, a marble subway tile backsplash would look great! You could lay it in a brick pattern, or in a herringbone pattern to add some interest. If you have a contemporary style, then a linear mosaic tile would be perfect.

[houzz=A.S.D. Interiors kitchen remodel]
[houzz=Georgetown Townhouse]
11 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 11:39AM
linda boyd
I don't think a backsplash will look nearly as good and would not add it unless the paint is not washable. I prefer the way you are showing off the few elements you have selected. It's beautiful and more elegant without backsplash noise.
5 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 12:09PM
bearzfan
It looks great! I am in the process of deciding whether to paint my cabinets black. Did you do it yourself? I was going to hire someone but my husband thinks he can do it (that makes me nervous!) Did you use paint or stain? Glossy or matte?
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:15PM
muffyj
I painted my kitchen cabinets glossy black and love it. The cabinets were from 1987 and builders grade oak. My countertop is white Silestone (love it) and my back splash is white subway tile (love it), but I had to warm it up so my flooring is cork (medium brown) and my artwork is framed with brown frames. My walls are medium gray. Your cabinets look great, but if you ever needed to replace the appliances stainless steel will look beautiful with the black. One idea for your backsplash is to repeat the color from the floor up in that area with tile, I've seen it done before and it looks classy. Otherwise, your look now is fine.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:55PM
naomic1
I LOVE IT....I never knew black cabinets and black appliances looked so good together.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:03PM
photogra4er
bearzfan, yes I did it all by myself with Rust-Oleum Cabinent Transformation Kit (semi glossy paint). I got from home depot. It was so easy (4 steps, no sanding or scrubbing) and so affordable. I only paid around $200 for 3 small kits. I still have some left over paint too. I was going to hire someone but they wanted between $10-15,000 dollars just to do it (NO WAY). The only tricky part about painting yourself is their will be a few imperfections (which I do have especially in between the crevices and grooves). But its not that big of a deal or bad looking.
9 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:17PM
photogra4er
Thanks for the all the great compliments and ideas everyone.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:18PM
Marie Slack-Tello
It's beautiful! Ikea recently did a kitchen in black and I fell in love! And I would add a back splash but it's because I love back slashes. I would do this to my kitchen but our appliances are silver and beige, eww.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 3:55PM
Katie Pringle
Great affordable fix to modernize the outdated cabinets! Totally agree a backsplash would help, and a coat of paint on the walls- perhaps gray instead of yellow? If you're trying to keep modern maybe a white glass backsplash, or warm it up with a traditional marble as suggested above.
3 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:04PM
PRO
Home Preppers
Wow! It looks great. You are daring too. Most would shy away from black. I would love to see some hardware and a back splash. I think it would add some interest. Stoneshop above, has some good ideas. I always like to add some texture to rooms too, which you could do in a back spash or even in some bar stools. Your bar stools are great, but you might try adding in some whicker or other element.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:06PM
Veronica Minke
Makes the room look kind of dark, maybe if you lighten up the island.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 4:16PM
lionnessone
Think white subway tile or white marble! Paint over your "EAT DRINK AND BE MERRY" brown doesn't belong.
[houzz=Marble - White Carrara][houzz=Eclectic Kitchen][houzz=22nd Street Kitchen]
7 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:27PM
webbedfeet8
I like the black cabinets and white counters. I think the lettering should go. Paint the walls canvas tan maybe (Sherwood Williams) or something light. Backsplash for sure. Something light colored and not too busy.
3 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:57PM
trendesdesign
Looks fabulous! The writing is a personal thing if you like it that it your choice!I would add a backsplash. Subway tiles always a classic
5 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:17PM
blaqdoll
Love, love, love your kitchen. I was just contemplating using the Rustoleum kit in black for my own kitchen. I may only need two kits too since I don't have an island. Thanks for the inspiration.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 6:27PM
bdcook
Do you know if you can use the Rustoleum kit over formica cabinetry?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:07PM
photogra4er
@bdcook, rustoleum works on wood, laminate and melamine surfaces. I'm not really sure if it would work on formica surfaces (it should though) you might want to ask someone in the paint department just to be 100% sure.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 7:55PM
krismomof4
I love the new look. I am getting ready to order cabinets & I had planned on going with a light chocolate color. But I love the black cabinets. I will be getting black appliances & can lighten the countertops, backsplash, walls & accessories. Plus my kitchen faces the south & gets full sun all day so it's very bright. My only concern with the black cabinets is them getting dusty easily & dirty. Have you noticed this?
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 2:24AM
photogra4er
@kris That's a great question (will cabinents get dusty). I havent noticed dust so far. There is a protective top coat painted on cabinets that allows you to wipe them down if they get dirty or smudges.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 6:34AM
avajane
Spectacular result! Well done! I agree with the lionnessone back-splash suggestions - nothing too busy. And also with the wicker bar stools suggested by Home Preppers.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 6:49AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
I really like what you did with the changes in your kitchen remodel. Did you reface the cabinetry? The only other thing I'd recommend doing is installing a backsplash. I really think our Liberty tile would be a great fit, I like grey, but you might like one of the other colors more. You can view them here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/liberty/

Good job and thanks for sharing!
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:17AM
PRO
Subway Tile Outlet
Very nice changes already! Have you thought about a stainless steel backsplash like in the attached image? You can find the product here: http://www.subwaytileoutlet.com/products/Stainless-Steel-Mosaic-Tile-1x2.html
6 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:54AM
PRO
Wallmark Homes
Nice very sleek and modern looking. I agree stainless steel will add an industrial look that would match perfectly.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:30PM
Patricia Federico
I would like to see a backsplash and some hardware on the cabinets to finish it off.
3 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 2:18PM
fsvienna
The black looks great. I would do a creamy, shiny white backsplash.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 6:36AM
Bonnie
i guess black is the new "in" color ... I would add a backsplash to give the kitchen a little sparkle and lightness. Also, change the paint color.
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:16AM
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
Upgrade looks great, but I really love the paint and artwork above the cabinets! It grabs my attention every time I see this post!
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 11:52AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Love your black and 'no' to the back splash - you certainly have numerous ideas from houzzers - post any updates and enjoy that new feel to your kitchen!
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 11:59AM
photogra4er
@reico kitchen yes I like the words on the wall and I am going to keep all the colors because my home is open and the color scheme throughout is chocolate brown, citrus yellow and antique white.
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 1:04PM
Bonnie
I like the words too!
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 5:05PM
minimumjoe
The words on the wall are a terrific touch, given the color change happening around them. But for a backsplash, my choice would be a long swipe of bling. I like the suggestion above for stainless, especially if you're modern in style. But if you're more transitional, give a thought to mirror! Crushed mirror, not panels which would show grease. It would sparkle and keep the whole end of the house lively.

Good luck. I like what you've done a lot.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 5:12PM
Michelle Scott
Love it!
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 1:11PM
legwork
Love the smart and inexpensive fix to a very dated ( in a
Bad way) kitchen. I would do a black tile back splash. Or even better a painted chalkboard.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 1:59PM
kjdick
White subway tiles have my vote. Clean and classic. No matter what your style they will go right along with it. Clean and pretty contrast to the black.
Eclectic Kitchen
Rock Star Kitchen
Needham Kitchen
Austin Patterson Disston Architects
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 7:17PM
nlf31763
I would add a reflective glass backslash and change the globe on the pendants. Bring in some lighter color, these get lost among the cabinets. Great job though.
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 2:32PM
monroetarver
I love it! But i would add a back splash, would make it feel even more elegant
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 6:20PM
chickinvic
I love it! I personally don't think you need a backsplash, and I really like your wall colors. Very nice look you've achieved. By the way, I nearly choked when you said that someone wanted $10-$15K just to repaint your cabinets. Is this normal? No wonder you did it yourself.
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:29PM
photogra4er
@chickinvic oops, I made a typo ......It was actually $5-10k someone quoted me (for my 28 cabinent doors, 18 drawers and the island). I spoke with some friends and they said to repaint them that was way too much.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 7:58PM
chickinvic
I agree - even $5-10K sounds like a lot of money for someone to paint those cabinets. I'm in the wrong line of work obviously:)
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:53AM
PRO
ABK Today
I think a 3" x 6" white simple subway tile would look great. I would add some additional color with art and some additional kitchen accessories (vase, stoneware, etc).
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:55AM
hparks74
Nice!!! Thinking of buying a set of high end used cabinets for new remodel and painting them black. I'm also considering the new whirlpool black ice appliances. I think you just made my decision. Thanks!!!
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 8:50PM
yolie1110
I also chose black appliances and chocolate maple cabinets,I submitted my pic of my kitchen...yes black is a good choice,I put a 3 inch backsplash in my kitchen ,it looks nice but yours looks good as is.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 9:06PM
PRO
Christopher James Interiors
It looks great and much improved from the previous color. I do think a backsplash would add a lot to the design
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 8:56PM
diyher
I have to admit, when I first read you saying you were going to paint your cabinets black to match the appliances, I thought, yikes... that will really make the room dark. Now that I see it along with all your other decor, it looks fabulous :) I keep thinking I've seen the "Eat Drink and Be Merry" before in a photography group? :)
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 5:34AM
odessalight
Hi, I like that you painted your cabinets! They look great and what a bold move on your part. I painted cabinets white in a townhouse we had and they turned out great and loved how it lightened up the space. Did you sand and paint or just paint them? What kind of paint did you use? Just a though I liked your older pendant lights...thought if you kept those they would have added contrast.
Great job!
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 5:46AM
fugigirl
This is fabulous my kitchen cabinets look the same! and i have black appliances as well ,I was toying around with the idea of painting and getting alot of negative feedback from the family but they just had to see it! I like the way you took off some of the cabinet doors it gives the kitchen a whole new vibe and i like the thought of a tile backsplash bu if you are like me i get bored easily and a coat of paint is easier than redoing tile but it would be nice ,thanks for sharing
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 4:50AM
Sandie Segura Wesolowski
Beautiful kitchen! I was just looking earlier at rust oleum cabinet transformations because like you I am not too crazy about my kitchen. Now you really have me considering trying it out but think I will try it out in my bathroom first this was if I mess up I can afford a vanity than replacing kitchen cabinets. Congrats on your kitchen and thanks for sharing!
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 7:39PM
photogra4er
@Sandie.....I felt the same way. First, I started out doing the island in my kitchen just to see how it would look. Once I finished and saw how good it looked I decided to buy more kits and do the rest of the kitchen.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:00AM
DIAspoton
beautiful job.a baclsplash with bling gets my vote. glass, mirroe or SS. a plain ceramic may seem dull and lifeless.

have you considered painting a light color on the backs of the glass front cabinets? or installing antique mirror on those 3 cabinet backs would make your glassware and dishes sparkle without being too harsh like a brighter mirror finish would.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:36AM
fuzinav
You definately need a blackspash of some sort. Without one, water will eventually erode the plaster under your paint. Speaking from experience....it is practical to have a backsplash!
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:59AM
behki21
great job!! now im wanting to paint all my cabinets!! lol my husband is going to kill me :)
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 7:49PM
Add glass tiles to add some shine!! Change light globes to lighter color to pop against the black cabinets!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:30PM
debra752
Great job ! Yes glass backsplash in neutral colors . Why does that window stick out ...hmm maybe paint it black too ? Go neutral on all the walls n then add back your words in black !
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:56PM
photogra4er
I used some of your great suggestions and updated my kitchen. However, I decided not to do any backsplash or tile and just keep the walls naked (I'm too picky and didn't like anything, lol)
15 Likes   August 11, 2013 at 6:18AM
diyher
very nice :)
1 Like   August 12, 2013 at 5:46PM
Rachel
Beautiful! It's always great to see how the DIY cabinets come out. This is amazing.
1 Like   August 13, 2013 at 3:40AM
inkwitch
It does look better without the black over the cabinets, but the verbiage was a nice touch. You could still do it in black -- or in Italian, if you like! My sister-in-law did something in French in a color so close to the wall color, it sort of disappeared in places. Might not work on yours. It's a stunning kitchen. Kudos for being brave enough to do black. Not many people are that bold. Love the chairs, too. You will get dust on the open shelves,but there's a price for everything. Smart not to use white knobs/handles! It would've looked like polkadots!
1 Like   August 13, 2013 at 3:54AM
PRO
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
LOOKS WONDERFUL! Great job!
2 Likes   August 13, 2013 at 1:11PM
lilladywhit21
There is way to much black
0 Likes   August 14, 2013 at 2:35PM
PRO
Nanette Alton
It's so nice, I think I'd like the straw seat bar stools in the first photo, instead of all black ones. I think they'd pull in the yellow and brown paint really nice.
1 Like   Thanked by photogra4er    August 14, 2013 at 7:42PM
Tim Macasek
I'm not going to lie, I thought I was going to hate all the black. Man, I was wrong. Looks super sharp, nice job!
2 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 6:58AM
hmf70
LOVE your seagrass chairs and it looks far more clean without the red color over the cabinets. I've never been a fan of decorating with words, but that's just me. Lovely, lovely kitchen. You must be so pleased! I, too, have decided not to tile a backsplash. I have only paint. I just wipe it with a little Bon Ami and water when necessary which, frankly, is not very often. I'm just too frightened by all the busy backsplashes with granites I've seen. Maybe someday if I just find that perfect tile I will pull the trigger, but for now it's ok to let it be.
2 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 4:57PM
PRO
123 Remodeling Inc.
I just want top say that is a great remodel and an awesome kitchen. I could definitely entertain some guests in that kitchen.
1 Like   September 5, 2014 at 1:04PM
richardrathbone
Just curious--how is this holding up? Have you had to touch it up at all? I've been contemplating painting mine, but don't want to if it will be high maintenance, because what I have now is zero-maintenance :D
0 Likes   September 25, 2014 at 2:07PM
PRO
SoCal Contractor
I agree, adding backsplash would take it one step further!
0 Likes   September 29, 2014 at 3:09PM
2014diane
I like the new paint on the walls, lights and bar-stools.
0 Likes   September 29, 2014 at 5:40PM
PRO
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
I would do gray...but black is ok too1
0 Likes   September 29, 2014 at 5:45PM
PRO
River Valley Cabinet Works
It looks a little commercial...like a coffee bar.
0 Likes   September 29, 2014 at 6:26PM
loubelou
Love it!
0 Likes   September 29, 2014 at 6:44PM
jannahopson
That is wonderful that you were able to do the painting yourself and are happy with your end result! I have no idea what kind of firm would give you a quote to paint that kitchen of $10,000. We could have provided a high end paint finish and a stone backsplash easily for that price.
0 Likes   October 1, 2014 at 7:23PM