Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with curved foyer walls
michelle843
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help with what to put by my curved foyer walls, any ideas??
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
yvonnecmartin
Nothing. They are beautiful as is.
January 30, 2013 at 10:20AM     
dgoodfriend
you could do a table with flower arrangement in center or one table on each side with flowers to give it a punch of color. The rug is nice, I would perhaps consider a larger rug to add interest if that's what your goal is. Beautiful space!! Also, hanging a chandelier from the ceiling would be a beautiful touch too. But I think the walls themselves are fine just the way they are.
January 30, 2013 at 10:28AM     
mandjo
I think it looks great too but if you would like something to make it not so bare you could add floorstanding floral arrangement. I would need to be big so that it doesnt look lost but I think that it would really look great!
January 30, 2013 at 10:29AM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
If you want to hang art, a series of prints or photos in smaller matched frames, hung in a grid or line is effective and mitigates the curve. Small frames with family photos are another option, hung randomly to deal with the trim of the stair and the asymmetrical layout of the door.
January 30, 2013 at 10:31AM   
lionnessone
What about a round glass table, about the size or 4-6 inches larger than your circular floor medallion and placed in that area of your hall. Purchase yourself a, large glass globe shape vase add colored glass stones, and turn it into a Terrarium.
January 30, 2013 at 10:45AM   
lionnessone
January 30, 2013 at 10:48AM     
January 30, 2013 at 10:54AM   
PRO
Alfieri Design
Please take off the wainscoting...not appropriate for an entry or hall. In this case, less is more, and I would change the paint to a more welcoming shade. Again the brown is too dark for a 'hello.' The medallion on the floor sets too small a precedent for the space...wish it was larger or gone altogether so a round medium size glass pedestal table could be placed as an anchor to the stairway and lit....floral or living seasonal plant arrangements could make a statement for you all year round.
January 30, 2013 at 11:13AM   
PRO
Worthington Millwork, LLC
I think building a very unique curved bench up against the left side of the curved wall would be gorgeous! you can also maybe put a curved mudroom of sorts, although personally i like things that pop and that you wouldn't ordinarily think to put in such a place. however a nice sitting area i feel would be great in that space!
January 30, 2013 at 11:19AM     
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I'm agreeing with putting "nothing" on your walls. They're beautiful. I also agree with adding a small table and a chair on the left, which will fill in the space. another thought would be to add two tall slendeer topiaries, one on each side of the door. Chrysteen
January 30, 2013 at 11:23AM     
maroula
what would one considered a welcoming color?
January 30, 2013 at 11:23AM   
PRO
Showcase Kitchen & Bath
Sconces would look nice, whether they're electric or just candle sconces. Also a small settee on the left at the stair wall would give it a more finished look.
January 30, 2013 at 11:35AM     
PRO
Worthington Millwork, LLC
Match the blue in your floor medallion, that would make this a very welcoming space!
January 30, 2013 at 11:45AM   
sayboone
I agree with the previous comment - a warm slate blue/gray on the walls would look gorgeous against the white trim and dark stair treads, and it would tie in the ballisters on the stairs nicely.
January 30, 2013 at 12:30PM   
michelle843
it's a tile mosaic on the floor and i do have a chandelier hanging but did'nt show itnin the picture. I also forget to mention I have 3 young boys so a table in the middle would not be the best idea right now for fear of it being knocked over. I do have a 9 foot ficus tree i put on the left and there are sconces on the wall going up the steps. Thanks for all the great ideas!!
January 31, 2013 at 4:49AM   
PRO
Alfieri Design
Finally got back to you....traditionally, a welcoming color would be tint shades of yellow, representing the pineapple which took hold during the 1700's plantation owners, but today, and with your lovely stairway, a pale sterling silver gray would match both the stairway and the the floor medallion....I would still look for a beautiful curved table anchored to stairway for the wall, out of the way of your children, but convenient enough for a statement of plants and/or lamps. If you keep the medallion, bring the chandelier down and make it center the medallion size and style. Hope this helps..
January 31, 2013 at 1:47PM     
movethisnotthat
this is a beautiful space ! less is more !
January 31, 2013 at 2:15PM   
PRO
Grindl Woodworking
A custom curved bench nestled against the stair wall.
January 31, 2013 at 2:21PM     
PRO
Bravehart Building
What is your major concern with the curved foyer walls? Is it the walls? The colour? The lack of interior accents to soften the entry? Do you need more punch? More light? Please let us know your thoughts and your feelings.... somewhere between the two there is an answer!!!
January 31, 2013 at 2:36PM   
michelle843
I guess to soften the area, I kind of like the bare minimum look as I have lots of toys else where, this is about the most "adult" area (no toys). The lighting is fine. The color of the walls have to stay the same, maybe thinking of console table but not sure how to deal with the curved wall, maybe a big round area rug?
February 1, 2013 at 7:17AM   
decoenthusiaste
Unless you are attached to the inlay, cover it with a large round rug and a foyer table similar to these.
If you want to expose the inlay, you may not have room for much of a table because the inlay is so small. I wouldn't worry about the walls too much. The right center piece will grab all the attention.
Foyer 1
Foyer 2
Tietjen Foyer
Southern Mississippi
February 1, 2013 at 7:47AM   
PRO
Bravehart Building
OK. Thanks for the feedback. I would have some 'light' images on the wall or mirrors, and, if the centre medallion is at least 2.5' round, perhaps a table there? But if you have kids, not.
I would put some feature in the cove wrapping the stairs. That way, kids won't run into it.
I would have some kind of 'foliage' or sculpture on the table to soften the space. Hope that helps!
February 1, 2013 at 9:00AM