Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need foundation planting ideas
Vickie Pointer
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our foundation planting is in need of an overhaul. The ilex that were in there died and got pulled out, the small ones in front will be pulled out next along with the dogwood on the right. We will also be building a new retaining wall that will circle out a bit.

The front of the house faces Northeast so it does not have sun all day. I am thinking of continuing the columnar evergreens on the the sides of the front steps as I have them on the side entry. I would like to mix it up and am thinking of japanese maples on the corners and would love to include evergreens and perenials. I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mmilos
I would just do one large japanese maple in the corner where your dogwood is. Keep it as an accent and let it stand on its own.

I would probably do shorter evergreens, like boxwood, to flank your stairs so as not to block the view too much.

The columnar evergreen looks good at the corner....
January 30, 2013 at 11:14am   
Vickie Pointer
Thanks, I am trying to stay away from a row of shrubs. The space is about 8 feet deep which allows for some play. Here is a photo from the side, please ignore all the weeds :). I was thinking of using some gardenias but I am not sure how they do in North Carolina.
January 30, 2013 at 11:23am   
mmilos
Sorry, but I wasn't thinking of a row of boxwoods...just two large ones flanking your entrance.
Gardenias would be nice but I have a tougher time growing them even in Southern California. Camelias too would be beautiful and do well with northern exposure. It would keep a slight Japanese theme going as well.
January 30, 2013 at 11:29am   
Vickie Pointer
Ah I understand I hadn't thought of doing the lower bushes by the steps. I like the camelias, we have a row of them in the front yard. Thanks for your ideas!
January 30, 2013 at 4:37pm