Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Window Treatments
decoratinghomeschoolmom
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am looking for some window treatment ideas to tie a French Door and a large window together. Together these practically make up the entire wall in my Family Room.

The two main dilemma's I can't seem to find a solution for are 1) Window treatments that will be uniform across the top of the doors and the window once installed. I had considered adding curtains to the doors, but decided against the idea because we use these doors A LOT! I also considered doing the Roman Shades on the windows, but once installed, again the straight line that I am looking for would not be the same.
2) My home is what I call "Cottage Chic", so I want the treatments to be very informal and easy to use on a daily basis.

Any ideas would be appreciated --- this is one "design dilemma" that I just can't seem to figure out on my own. Perhaps the straight line that I am trying to create is not the solution and someone can help me with a different idea that I have not considered. I am looking forward to your answers!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
Good question about needing matching heights. Since doors and windows aren't typically the same height, it isn't an issue. You can "dress" the doors with shades like you have now, and then treat the window with the same fabric, but I'd go all the way to the floor. If you're going to add shades to the windows, I'd do three instead of one large one. I just like smaller shades. You'll have a little light gap between the shades, and the window trim will show, but I've always considered that just part of the treatment.
Are you thinking you're going to change the pattern?
Chrysteen
January 30, 2013 at 12:08pm     
Joyce K
I have a similar window in my dining room, and added pleated shields year ago for privacy at night. Single shades are good, but what I found is that you need to make sure they go up all even. I have one pleated shade on this window to avoid any uneven shades.

I also updated my window treatment a year ago with a valance and drapes on each side. They are long panels on each side, but the rods made all the difference. Attached is a pic.

Go to a fabric store as they will help you with design even if you can't afford, you can gain expert vision with lots of ideas.

Good luck, and have fun while you're at it!
January 30, 2013 at 12:23pm     
decoratinghomeschoolmom
Ladies, Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Chrysteen, I am very flexible about changing the curtains, I just want the room to "feel" right and I just haven't been able to find the correct balance for this wall. I like your idea about the curtains going to the floor and am now considering using gracekellythecat's suggestion of using shorter rods on the ends of the window for the curtains and adding the matching shades underneath. It won't solve the height disparity, but perhaps it will unite the door and window and make it visually more appealing.

This room has been a real challenge for me - I will upload some additional pictures later, but the entire room feels off balance because the windows are not centered. I guess I have always felt like they needed to look uniform to make them less distracting. I LOVE interior design and have had a lot of fun with my current home -- this room, however, has been a bit of a puzzle. Thanks ladies for your help!
January 30, 2013 at 9:31pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
The idea of using shades and curtains together is truly perfect! When you are looking for curtains, Cheery Curtains may help and here are some designs. Mouse over the image for a full view.

For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
January 31, 2013 at 1:37am   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
Looking forward to more photos when you get them downloaded. Chrysteen
January 31, 2013 at 9:59am   
martinjj
I have a very similar setup with three windows in my family room that are adjacent to french doors in the dining room - I hung ceiling to floor grommet top drapes on the windows and the french door, all the same color. I have white wooden blinds on the three windows to control light, but no blinds on the french doors. This gives a very consistent look and the grommet top drapes stack back nicely during the day and don't interfere with the french door.
January 31, 2013 at 11:36am     
decoratinghomeschoolmom
martinjj, I Love that idea!! Did you hang the curtain rod for the french doors the exact width of the doors and if so, how does it work with the opening/closing of the doors. I am wondering how it would look to extend the rod a little beyond my doors (I have about 6 inches on each side), so there will be less interference with the coming in and out. Thanks for your input --- I can see that being a really good look in this room.
January 31, 2013 at 6:35pm   
PRO
Budget Blinds
Here's a cottage chic look that might work for you. http://www.budgetblinds.com
January 31, 2013 at 10:31pm   
martinjj
Homeschoolmom: The rod extends beyond the casing - the inside of the bracket extends about 3-4 inches from the casing for the french door - and the end of the finial is about 6-8 inches from the casing - the grommet drapes stack back so efficiently that it doesn't take any room at all. We (including the kids), or should I say, mostly the kids, are in and out of that door constantly, so I know from experience that it works quite well. The trick may be finding a grommet top drape that isn't too contemporary. Good luck with your decorating!
February 1, 2013 at 3:25pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.