Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
TV cabinet/storage built in
chmca
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a large great room with ten foot ceiling. We are working on keeping room clean and contemporary. We don't want anything hulking. We had a cabinet maker do a couple of drawings but he hasn't really listened to what we want. He insists that the wall needs a large scale unit. The wall is 22 feet wide. We were thinking of a base type unit that would take up about 14 feet and be about 40 inches high. He wants to go up at least 72 inches. This is our TV wall where we would hang the 60 inch TV. We want to keep wall bare for now and maybe find right art work or maybe add a floating shelf or two. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
Well, I understand why the cabinet man wants the unit to be large; it'll take up a lot of the wall space. However, if you just want a base cabinet, why not try that first? TV's are hard to decorate around. Artwork can compete witht he TV itself, but if it's in a unit, it just seems to fit.
I'd ask the cabinet man to draw a base and see what you think of that. He can always add to it later if you decide against artwork.
Chrysteen
January 30, 2013 at 12:37pm   
sandkshouse
Check out Salamander Designs for cabinet inspiration: http://salamanderdesigns.com/
January 30, 2013 at 12:42pm   
Brenda Fisher
For modern design I can see your cabinet makers problem. The proportions are a little off. Possibly try extending the width but keep the height you want. Keep individual shelf lines minimal and avoid bulking it up. Option 2 would be to use floating shelves. You could stagger them across the wall or keep them linear. If you go with the shelves make sure they are bulky enough to visually ground the space but clean lined.
February 3, 2013 at 12:45am   
More Discussions
i got this house 2 years ago and now we are ready for a face lift :)
Could you please help me with some ideas ? I don't...
undermount kitchen sink - can it be done?
I'm told that my granite composite kitchen sink cannot...
Burned out on the built-in kitchen
After decades of renting, we've been planning on building...
Symmetry issue
Having a difficult time figuring out what to do with...
should I keep the rug?
I bought the rug for the foyer, but it was too small....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.