powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help updating our 90's house great room and dinning room from floor to ceiling.
lorriphoto
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The ceilings in both rooms have water damage and need to be repaired so it's good time for an update. I really like details like coffered or beadboard ceilings. I would also like to add trim to the walls and the fireplace is in need of an update, maybe a mantel and some simple built-ins. I love white trim. I really need your help for ideas and suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Shannon Ggem ASID
You could certainly paint all yout trim white, the windows, the railings, etc. I think beadboard may be a mixed metaphor with the formalness of the columns, but you could do a high wainscoting in white in the dining room, and potentially some cool millwork on the ceiling. You fireplace could really use a mantle, perhaps some millwork above it and on the sides that refers to the dining room wainscot. Perhaps the mantle is traditional (ie not floating). Just thoughts... Here a pic of a high wainscoting below, and another of one way people may handle a fireplace in a 2 story room.
Good luck!Grey & Aqua
Living Room
January 30, 2013 at 12:37PM     
lorriphoto
Thanks, I have started painting the window trim and am having someone out to fix the dinning room ceiling. I will add wainscoting next in the dinning room and on the stair wall in the great room. I like your ideas and could use some more images of wall trim. The fireplace will be next after that. Thanks!
February 6, 2013 at 7:53PM     
lorriphoto
This what the front of the house looks like.
February 6, 2013 at 7:58PM     
Keitha
All of your major furniture pieces are good choices. I would suggest replacing the lamps in living room with something a little more contemporary. The shelf between the windows is a nice touch but looks a little too busy. Try to eliminate a few items and vary heights for interest. Also what an impact the fireplace would be if you could have it faced with stacked stone.
February 6, 2013 at 8:19PM     
lorriphoto
I really like the stack stone. We have round river rock on the pillars outside, Would that be a problem?
February 7, 2013 at 10:25AM   
Keitha
No, that would not be a problem. I just think the stacked stone would be a little more understated than the bold river rock but its just personal preference
February 7, 2013 at 6:56PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I really like the idea of the stone going to the ceiling. Adding detail to the ceiling and walls will be great.
February 7, 2013 at 7:04PM   
lparides
Tin ceiling would look nice
February 7, 2013 at 7:07PM     
Keitha
What about these ideas for dining room ceiling? Inexpensive but effective with just a little additional moulding and color added the ceiling.
February 7, 2013 at 7:43PM     
lorriphoto
Keitha, I moved a few items on the mantel shelf, but left the ladder out because I know it's not good yet. I would appreciate any ideas. I am still planning on the window trim being painted white and looking for ideas for the fireplace and ceiling molding. I like the ideas here a lot.
February 10, 2013 at 9:02AM   
tennisanyone
I would remove that shelf. It adds nothing to the beautiful room and windows. Perhaps it would look better on the mantle. I would try to move those black chairs next to the fireplace facing into the room. Get a long console table by the stairs and put the lamp on there , keep the picture and some acccessories using the ones on the shelf too. I like your dining room. I know other people are thinking about that.
February 10, 2013 at 9:14AM     
lorriphoto
tennisanyone, I moved the furniture and am open for suggestions. We are snowed in and can't go to the gym, so I was getting my workout in pushing stuff around.:)
February 10, 2013 at 10:08AM     
Keitha
Lori, the shelf looks better and I especially like the topiary, "D" and the clock but the items on the ends look a little lost so I would suggest replacing them with something that has more impact.. Also try sitting the topiary on a few books to give it more height. Where are you planning to put that gigantic key?....Love it! Tennisanyone's idea is also a great option, would just be a little concerned that it might look too small in scale for the fireplace but it's just about what You like.
February 10, 2013 at 10:14AM     
bojaby
You have a beautiful home. I like the painting of the woodwork and the black chairs by the fireplace. The dining room is beautiful. I would have the ceiling repaired and paint the existing ceiling moulding black and replace the light with a bold more modern black chandelier. These changes would not be that expensive. The black would accent your dining set and black trim on the ceiling would draw the eye up to the beautiful high ceilings. Would you consider a black rug or patterned rug with black background tuner your dining table?

I agree the fireplace needs to be emphasized and a mantel added. Perhaps a more whitewashed stone or one with noticeable black flecks would look nice. Personally, I would not consider tin ceilings or bead board as they don't seem to fit the style of your home. Have fun. There are so many possibilities.
February 10, 2013 at 10:34AM   
tennisanyone
I like the chairs by the fireplace. Do you?
Move them
Almost into the alcoves but out if that makes
Sense. I also like the chest. Put the lamp on
The other side. I am picky especially when it
Comes to furniture placement. I hope you
Remove that shelf. I got snowed in yesterday too
But am travellinf today. Roads are good.
February 10, 2013 at 10:54AM   
lorriphoto
I definitely let the bead board ceiling idea go.I have made plenty of decorating mistakes nd that is why I am loving the advice here. The leather chairs are a dark brown, I think they look small when near the fireplace, but maybe after I decide on trim or rock facing they will look different. I made a few changes on the shelf with what I had around the house. I could paint the item on the far left a darker color. I have the off white one up there now, before it was a light green one. I hope that there isn't a limit to photos you can post because I just want to show you that I am open to your ideas and it really helps me visually. Some of my ideas for the key are on a gallery wall going up the stairs, above the fireplace, or if I did some built in on the sides of the fireplace, above the left side. I attached an image of what I like for built ins, simple and open.
February 10, 2013 at 11:03AM     
tennisanyone
I dont mean exactly that shelf over the fireplace
Lets just get the arrangement better. Do u need
A tv in this room? That would change the arrangement
If u do.
February 10, 2013 at 11:12AM   
lorriphoto
We do not need a TV in this room.
February 10, 2013 at 11:14AM   
Keitha
You have a great furniture START and as you add furniture pieces " the cozy factor" will come. So I would suggest that you start thinking about what you want to add next... Coffee table etc. The fireplace wall is such a dynamic part of the room and once you get that wall done I think it will help a lot. You are fortunate that you already have drapery panels to soften all those windows!! You could think of taking the shelf down as tennisanyone suggested an install the key there?? Here are some fireplace walls that would be fairly easy and inexpensive to replicate with paint or textured wallpaper.
February 10, 2013 at 11:43AM     
kitchenbathdesigner
stairs and front door in black lacquer with the new white trim on windows, would look amazing. black paint on stairs with white baseboards. i know its a litle bold, but i was surpised how much it made the room i saw it in, look fantastic. and becuase its shiny it reflects light nicely. if you did some some sheer drapes around the dining room pillars with tie backs, that would add some drama. may be too fancy for you, but it would be beautiful.. they dont even ever have to close. just be decorative.
February 10, 2013 at 11:59AM     
kitchenbathdesigner
and if you dont like black lacquer you can do an espresso. your wood trim on the stairs wont "go" with much since all trim is going to be white (i think?) and right now there isnt anything that pops accept your decor like the lettering on that high shelf and the mirror frame/table below stairs, and your lamp. you have a beautiful house , i am not picking it apart, only suggestions, your doing a great job so far!! i think the stair rail in a darker color would be a great way to cohesively bring in your darker accessories. and the fireplace could have seomthing darker also, to go with the stairs. i love the stairs and i can totally picture that railing in a very dark color.
February 10, 2013 at 12:05PM     
decoenthusiaste
Would like to see the stack stone FP materialize, since it would set the tone for the entire space.
Just a side note: as much as I hate monster clocks masquerading for "decor" I'd rather see your clock in place of the shelf at the window. The shelf immediately draws the eye, but to nothing. That is why you need the beautiful fireplace to take center stage!
FORMA Design
Living Room
Fireplaces
Woodinville Retreat
February 10, 2013 at 12:30PM     
Keitha
Love the idea of the black stairs and door... You are right kitchenbath it would look very dramatic. I just wouldn't suggest shiny black lacquer ... I think an eggshell finish would give a more sophisticated look. Even though the attached picture is of a wrought iron staircase it's similar in style to yours and will hopefully give you an ideas of how your staircase might look.. Great suggestion!
February 10, 2013 at 12:33PM     
Keitha
Decoenthusiaste, just curious as to why you are opposed to monster clocks?
February 10, 2013 at 12:44PM   
lorriphoto
Here is the key above the windows. Here is also a photoshop version of the steps with white spindles and one with back. I love wrought iron spindles and would love to do that, but we also need a new master bathroom, a new kitchen counter and new carpet throughout the house. Our house is 20 years old and showing it's age. I would also like to change out all of the current brass hardware everywhere. Even the hardware has been a big indecision for me! Brushed nickle or oil rubbed bronze?
February 10, 2013 at 1:29PM   
Keitha
I like the key and black hand-rail/post with white spindles. I understand about the " to do" projects in a new house! We replaced all hardware and hinges a few years ago and it did make a big difference in updating the house.
February 10, 2013 at 2:09PM   
tennisanyone
Did you take down the shelf and replace it with a key? I am distracted by the key now. Maybe at some point, get woven blinds on the windows instead of the white. I would move the chest over by the vent and put the lamp on the right and try to center the picture.
February 10, 2013 at 3:10PM   
lorriphoto
tennisanyone, I photshopped the key there. I also used PS to move the console and photo. Is this what you meant?
I am not sure about the stacked stone on the fireplace. We have the round river rock on the pillars outside and we have a stone fireplace in the lower level. How about wainscoting on the great room fireplace?
February 10, 2013 at 4:09PM     
tennisanyone
I am glad you photoshopped the key. I must have missed that part. Yes, I like the chest there, do you? I would add something green either on the chest and on the floor next to it to hide the outlet. Place the frames on some books and vary the height. Doesn't look like you need much updating.
February 10, 2013 at 4:46PM   
kitchenbathdesigner
i have another idea... you need a pop of color too. beige and light turquoise are very popular colors together.
how about this... black handrail on stair case (not spindles) and black door, i like the beige-ish walls that you already have, the white trim windows, baseboards, moldings, collumns, etc... fireplace with a big white painted wooden mantle with molding detail and corbels down the sides around the opening-. this gives you the upside down "U" shape basically- then you can add a glass mosaic tile or stone, whatever you like, but i think the mosaic glass tile in a matte and shiny finish mixed together (maybe even in blue and beige?) will be a more modern, up to date look. people are always under the assumption that modern is cold and sterile, when its just using the latest products to update a space. you choose wether you want them to look modern, traditional, etc... if used this way, its a more classic and "chic" approach to modernizing. but still comfortable and cozy, like a home should be. maybe black laquer fireplace mantel too? too much??
February 10, 2013 at 5:50PM     
lparides
Accent color on the fire place or stone all the way up
February 11, 2013 at 7:27AM   
lparides
Big moilding around the windows
February 11, 2013 at 7:28AM   
lparides
And new dinning room table and chairs
February 11, 2013 at 7:29AM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
I would take the shelf on the windows down. As has been mentioned, it just adds nothing. It looks too knick-knacky. Take your items, group them in 3's and find new homes for them--or put them in a box for now, till you figure the big things out. Leave that wall blank. I wish your curtains were a little longer--they should be raised a little higher on more substantial rods. Are you considering new ones? Tab top panels always seem a tad country to me and not fitting in your beautiful room. Love the stone fireplace suggestions.
February 11, 2013 at 8:00AM   
decoenthusiaste
@Keitha - I think monster clocks are an overrated attempt by the big box stores to market to the less design savvy customer, who doesn't have a clue about what to buy to decorate their home. These clocks don't cut it in my book, although I have seen some attractive ones. If they were even "real" clocks with a history and a presence, I could consider them, but they're import junk that just take up a lot of space, so are seen as a solution - and a cheap one - compared to wonderful art, sculpture or other decor.
February 11, 2013 at 9:56AM   
Ramona
shelf down and stuff reused on mantel or on bookcases flanking fireplace. your chosen bookcase design is classic. I always think that fireplaces in your configuration look unfinished as if the bookcases didn't go in yet. if you want monochromatic, stick with it. i love color, but love looking at neutral monochromatic spaces too. i would do a coffered ceiling in the dining room and add not just a mantel but a surround in the u shape suggested above. i'm always looking at price, so installing a new stone to the ceiling when you already have a nice stone seems wasteful to me. you have a great start. big classic clocks are classic but also easy to manufacture and sell, but that wouldn't make me trash yours.
February 11, 2013 at 10:19AM     
lorriphoto
I'll be taking down the shelf, thanks so much for the advice. For the curtain panels, they used to pool on the ground, so they can be longer and I can remove the tab tops. Would it work to have ring clips?
My dad and I have been working on a dinning table made from reclaimed wood. He lives in another state and we should have it finished on the next visit this summer. The fabric on my chairs is dated too.
The clock is so cheap, it doesn't even work, someone else can hang it in their home next :)
These ideas are all so good. I want a wow space instead of a an ugh!!!!
February 11, 2013 at 10:28AM   
Ramona
personally, I love ring clips. recovering the dining room chairs is a no brainer. if you want to add color there, go for it.
the clock gets trashed for the junk that it is.
You don't have an ugh. It just isn't finished.

Keitha is right: add cozy factor by layering texture. look at her pictures and study what they have that your space does not: texture
February 11, 2013 at 10:38AM     
PRO
JMittman Designs
I personally think clips are not proportionally correct for your curtains. How tall is that wall? 20 some feet? I would like to see a 2 inch wood rod. They will look REALLY big in your hands, but waaaay up there, they will be perfect.
February 11, 2013 at 11:03AM     
lorriphoto
The ceiling is 20' tall and the room is approx. 16x16. I already had the ring clips, so that is why I asked. I do like beefier.
February 11, 2013 at 11:31AM   
aniluap2
You can add large beefier rings to the curtain tops, I used to have some that tack onto the top of the curtain back. The table is amazing and will go a long way to warm up the space. I think you have great bones and good pieces . I don't think you need anything up on the window wall, painting out the woodwork white will make them standout against the taupe and they will be very dramatic. I like the spindles painted out with a high gloss lacquer hand rail. I think the fireplace situation is a little complicated because even if you add shelving horizontally you still have a huge 20' vertical to deal with
If riverfock is an option go for it,if not maybe your dad can help build a sturdy mantle above the fireplace Out of reclaimed wood,like your table, and you could paint a large canvas with blocks, stripes or splashes of color with acrylic paint to coordinate with whatever colors you choose for your room. When I have renovated my homes, I have gone to the unfinished furniture store and bought several bookcases in the closest dimensions of the wall I am looking to place them on. I place them side by side, put molding around the sides and trim accross the to. I paint them white and they look like custom built ins for a fraction of the cost. You may want to consider that for your bookcases on either side of the fireplace. Another trick I have used on hardware that is not right is to remove them, take of the shiny finish and spray with rustoleum hammered metallic finishes or aged metal finish. They are durable and it is a lot cheaper than replacing everything. Good luck!
February 11, 2013 at 12:00PM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend adding Silhouette blinds inside the windows it will really soften up the space and give you a more finished look.
February 11, 2013 at 12:13PM     
Keitha
Decoenthusiast , thanks for the response regarding MONSTER CLOCKS and I will have to say that I agree with you on several of those points. It is often difficult to find large eye-catching accessories to decorate rooms with very high ceilings and some of those cheap clocks are very interesting and, in all honesty, I guess you could say they are "a quick fix" when you are searching for decor with impact! I love decor with a history, original art ,and love some of those cheap clocks as well... Thanks for the insight, I enjoy reading your posts. :-)
February 11, 2013 at 1:25PM   
Keitha
Removing the shelf is the best solution... I was just trying to help you work with what you have! Bigger drapery rods and chunky rings would be very nice and more proportioned to the massive window wall. My concern about the clip rings is that since your drapes are so long and heavy that clip rings would not hold????
February 11, 2013 at 1:38PM   
Keitha
I know that the attached picture is not your style but you do have these basic furniture pieces. I like the idea of adding balance to either side of the fireplace as also shown here... Hope this helps.
February 11, 2013 at 1:43PM        Thanked by lorriphoto
stuntchick
all it need is some pizazz and some color and pattern. can you say home goods accesssories rug and pillows.
February 10, 2014 at 12:22PM   
stuntchick
fireplace fascia needs some pizazz too. no stone. tile it in something unexpected
February 10, 2014 at 12:23PM   
stuntchick
shelf is great but too many things something tall in the middle . remember odd numbers work best
February 10, 2014 at 12:24PM      Thanked by lorriphoto