Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help landscaping this giant yard
Jacy Spillman
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We were thinking about adding a circular driveway and planting a tree or adding a rock garden in the middle. I have no clue what to do with the side yard. We appreciate your input!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calvin Simons
Maybe a American elm? And i don't know if after the season you're grass will be green but green grass does also a lot!
And maybe you could conceder some colorful flowers around the building with a path from gravel. And on the sides from the gravel a low fence or some stones.

I hoped this helped you :)
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:10PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
When in doubt, talk to a local expert! I suggest you hire a landscape designer to plan something beautiful for you. Landscaping is quite expensive so it's best to do it right the first time around! If the landscape designer will draw a plan for you, you can choose to do the work yourselves or hire it done.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:22PM
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
Hey Jacy, I saw the poll too. I don't really think another garage and circular driveway to the right of the house would be best, although you do have a lot of space over there. I think doing a rock garden in the middle of a circular drive will just be more of a "dead" space than the lawn. Its hard to tell from the pictures but I would try to work off the existing driveway and garage to add more garage space. Maybe you could add a basketball court / extra guest parking to the left of the existing driveway. Play up the strengths of the house with the front porch and have some entertainment patio space in the front with a lawn to do more active sports stuff. If you want to define the space so it doesn't seem so open and expansive, maybe a rail or picket fence along the front and right side. Then you can work the landscaping around that fence and the front patio. You'll probably want to look into a couple of tree to help define the front yard "outdoor room" too. One place I'd look to put a tree is the corner off the porch. I'm assuming its the N.W. side of the house because of the solar array. I'd probably get an intermediate sized tree and place it 12' or so from the corner. That and a little more landscape might distract the eye from the solar array. You local designer should be able to help you with specific plant selection that works in Colorado.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:45PM
PRO
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
I would begin by painting your stark white house a tan base coat with sage green trim. I think your idea of a rock garden is splendid and would compliment your contemporary architecture. Lots of ornamental grasses, sedum, drought-tolerant long blooming perennials and annuals planted in colonies would be less maintenance and look good all year. This is totally a DIY project - just remove grass , bring in a truck load of new top soil for rock garden ( well-drained ), visit your local garden center for help with plants to purchase , get a book on rock gardens and following planting diagram. After all planting is done add decorative pebbles and stones for accent . Here's a rough sketch of my landscape plan if you were my client.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 3:24PM
PRO
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Oh, and forgot to mention , a nice ornamental blooming tree to block out view to the back and add some balance to that side.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 3:25PM