Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Flooring suggestions for a sunroom
karenlpalmer
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a sunroom attached to the kitchen that has 6 patio doors on 3 sides....the furniture is rattan.....so far we had indoor/outdoor carpet for 10 years and then replaced that with a medium laminate and area rug. We hate the laminate as everything shows....water drops, doggie prints, etc. we are looking to change the flooring and are looking for suggestions or options....We are also renovating the adjoining kitchen and dining room so now is a good time to do it....thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
14thstreet
How about a ceramic or porcelain tile that looks like natural stone?
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:06PM
karenlpalmer
We have thought about that... We are actually putting tile in the kitchen which is the adjoining room. However there is no basement under the sunroom and the floors tend to be a little cold. The sunroom gets major use and we have two small granddaughters so worried about it being too cold for them with tile..... Still it is an option thank you
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:10PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
You can wire the flooring for heat before you tile it, thus making it warm in cold weather. If you haven't already put the tile in the kitchen, I'd suggest hardwood flooring for the kitchen and the sunroom
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:16PM
14thstreet
Good idea about adding heat. If you did tile that flowed from the kitchen to your sunroom, it would make the rooms feel much larger and more open also.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:24PM
karenlpalmer
Thank you, yes the tile in the kitchen will be ceramic or porcelain with infloor heating. I have had laminate in the kitchen once before for a very short time. Again I found too many water spots going from the stove to the sink....I think I am too messy for too much hardwood..... :)
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:27PM
14thstreet
Yes... many hardwoods are just as hard to keep clean looking as laminates. If you did a "rustic" hardwood that wouldnt show as much, but I'm still keen on the idea of continuing the tile through the sunroom.

Cork would be another option, although I do not have experience to know about water spots and paw prints.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:31PM
Manon Floreat
Since you are renovating the kitchen and dining room, I think hardwood throughout would provide a good sense of continuity since they are open to one another. It sounds like your main issue with what you currently have is its maintenance - dust, spots, prints, etc. If that's the case, you may want to consider a lighter stain and low sheen finish if you choose hardwood as it tends to be a little more forgiving.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:34PM
maureenroth
We did our kitchen floor in travertine after having a white, glossy porcelain floor that looked filthy 10 minutes after washing it. Now we could go for a month without cleaning it! (Not that we would) We love to cook and entertain and have cats and the last thing I want to do after cooking and getting ready for guests is get down on my hands and knees to wash the floor at the last minute like I used to have to do. We opted not to put in-floor heating since the kitchen is usually pretty hot but have it under our basement tile floor and in the bathrooms. I also did it 20 years ago in our old house before it was popular and I highly recommend considering it if you put in a tile floor.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:49PM
PRO
Rustico Tile and Stone
You can also look at Saltillo Mexican Terracotta tile in the sun room. It goes along with just about any furniture style and interior decor. When the sunlight hits the floors, it really brings out the natural and gorgeous coloring, giving the area a really warm feel. It would also go great in the kitchen and dining room. Its low maintenance and easy to clean.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 3:07PM
karenlpalmer
A beautiful room.....what is your coldest temperature on average?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:15PM
PRO
Rustico Tile and Stone
Saltillo tile can withstand the hottest and coldest of temperatures. We're in Texas, so the coldest it's gotten has been between 20-30 degrees. However, we do have customers all over the northern part of the U.S. and Canada, where the weather gets below freezing and it has withstood. The wiring of the floor for heat is a good idea if you are worried about it getting extremely cold, especially since it is used often. If you want some more information, visit our website at the following link: http://www.saltillotileconnection.com/saltillo. There is tons of information on it.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 3:34PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I love the Saltillo tile we have in our house!
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 3:38PM
PRO
MarbleWarehousecom
i suggest Brazilian Slate tile where slip resistance and durability are important.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 3:44PM
PRO
Rustico Tile and Stone
Saltillo Tile is also very durable and it is practical enough to install in showers, bathrooms and kitchens. With little ones running around, durability and slip resistance are obvious important factors. Compared to porcelain, travertine and ceramic flooring, it's no less slippery when it's wet. However, the bigger your grout lines, the more slip resistant the floor because the grout can hold more water. The standard recommended grout line for Saltillo is no less than 3/4 inch, which is pretty thick compared to other flooring.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 7:57AM
Leo
Rustico: where are you located? we are building a house in the Conroe/Houston area in 2013 and are looking for tile types for a hill country themed house
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 8:12AM
PRO
Rustico Tile and Stone
We are located in Leander. It's about 20-30 minutes north of Downtown Austin. We ship all over Texas and we also offer installation services in the surrounding areas as well. Give us a call at (512) 260-9111 to speak with someone directly. You can also visit the our website http://www.saltillotileconnection.com/ to give you more visual ideas.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:17AM
Leo
just was on your website. we will visit when we complete our move. sold our house in Virginia two weeks ago and we are moving to Montgomery TX next month. renting while we build house. have not let contract yet; just getting ideas now. I like your products
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 8:29AM
PRO
Rustico Tile and Stone
Ideas are where everything starts! We do have a showroom, so give us a call to make an appointment when you are ready and come on by!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:46AM