Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help (wall color)
Ina
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Curtains are going to be different. Painting too. Need help with wall color. Thank you]]]
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Shannon Ggem ASID
I really like your mix of the reclaimed wood table, the modern cahirs and the chandelier. Perhaps a smokey purple (like BM Pebble creek) above the chair rail and white below (to counterpoint the chairs), or a very grey green.
January 30, 2013 at 1:01PM   
PRO
BeyondFrames
What color are the window treatment going to be? Are you planing to use a rug as well?
I would go with a darker color below the chair rail and a lighter one above it.
January 30, 2013 at 1:07PM   
14thstreet
Are the chairs black?
January 30, 2013 at 1:08PM   
felecialongest
With your elegant chandelier I would paint the walls a medium grey, depending on how much light the room receives. Test samples on each wall. It would be interesting to put a ceiling to floor, stationary curtain panel on each side of window on the facing walls(short walls) in your choice fabric and a textured shade on windows. I love the contrast between the table and chandelier,so I would keep the table and slip cover the chairs...perhaps.
January 30, 2013 at 1:08PM   
Keitha
From what I can see in your picture. I already like the warm tones of the walls in relation to the warmth of the floor color. What about painting the ceiling a medium to charcoal gray and use black and white artwork with white matting and crisp black frames for starters... The ceiling would be stunning!
January 30, 2013 at 1:10PM     
14thstreet
This is the first color that came to mind - a smokey green with a blue hint. Don't do anything dark, keep it medium to light since your furniture is already very dark. Use a deep red as an accent color in an art piece. Play up the glam of your chandelier with a metallic framed mirror on the other side and an arrangement of antique silver candlesticks in the middle of your table.
[houzz=
]
January 30, 2013 at 1:14PM   
Ina
Chairs are brown. Table silver. Wat's going to be on the window's i don't know yet!? What's better on the wall: Art or Mirror?
January 30, 2013 at 1:20PM   
Keitha
Something like this warm gold/gray combination?
January 30, 2013 at 1:46PM     
PRO
BeyondFrames
A mirror reflects the light and gives the illusion of bigger room - art , in my opinion, reflects your personality and makes an interior look warmer.

If you haven't decided yet what are you going to use for window treatments, I'd suggest to take your time and try to figure out a color palette that make you happy, an just then go on with painting the wall and accessorize further on.
January 30, 2013 at 2:04PM     
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Here are some curtain designs you may be interested in. Mouse over the image for a full view.

For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
January 31, 2013 at 12:42AM   
PRO
BeyondFrames
Do you have and open space dinning - kitchen; dinning - living room?
Having silver table and brown upholstered (I guess?) dinning chairs I would go with warm grays for wall - grey with brown undertones (different shades as I suggested above).
Crisp white for the trims .
Taffeta , Dupioni silk or similar elegant fabrics for window treatments to match the beautiful chandelier.
Going for warm neutrals will easily allow playing with accents afterwards - either bright red, teal, purple, citrus or others - and gives the chance of having a "totally" different room someday without making a big investment.
Warm grays are not only easy to work with but they are also timeless an elegant.
For the wall decorations, I would choose framed art, mirrors (whatever you choose) , with wide , simple frames to match the table. Playing with frames to bring the table, chairs and chandelier together it's much easier than if using unframed canvas.
Also, not sure if your dinning rooms allows, a side table or something similar with additional lamps and accents would bring life , warmth and richness to your dinning.
To achieve those at least a rug is mandatory.
January 31, 2013 at 10:09AM     
Ina
Thank You!!!
January 31, 2013 at 10:34AM   
Ina
What kind of windows treatment would work beeter in the room? Plain as on the first photo, or as on the second photo, of course in different fabric?

I appreciate your advices
February 2, 2013 at 8:06AM   
14thstreet
I like the plain.
February 2, 2013 at 12:47PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I prefer the second because of the panels..but keep the panels simple. First purchase..add pattern by choosing a great rug..Second select simple drapery panels and sheers. Third using the rug and drapes choose your wall color..after you have the rug and drapes take a new picture and photoshop different paint colors to see what hue you like. Then choose a color or 2 and buy samples and paint on poster boards to look at the color in your room day and night. It will look very different. I would paint the same color above and below the chair rail OR a slightly darker shade above the chair rail and a lighter shade below the chair rail..and a lighter one again on the ceiling.
February 2, 2013 at 1:03PM     
Ina
Take off curtains and art. Looks a little better:)
February 6, 2013 at 8:02AM   
Ina
Finally :)
April 20, 2013 at 7:22AM     
PRO
BeyondFrames
Congrats! I love it! It looks so much brighter. Dine in style! :)
April 20, 2013 at 8:46PM     
vasfam1
This is beautiful and elegant!
April 20, 2013 at 8:53PM     
Ina
Thank you!:)
April 21, 2013 at 11:39AM   
Ina
Next step window treatmens.
April 21, 2013 at 11:41AM   
jl6066
Here's an idea: Moroccan Brown (Sherwin Williams) on top of chair railing and below add molding and paint white. This brown tone helps tie all wood colors together as well as other brown tones in this room. Good luck!
April 21, 2013 at 1:36PM   
Ina
ok , finally!
July 26, 2013 at 12:59PM     
PRO
BeyondFrames
Hmm, I'll be there for dinner! :)
Do you also consider a rug?
April 14, 2014 at 7:31AM   
More Discussions
small family room with small openings
My family room is very tricky to decorate. All I can...
Help picking shade of gray to incorporate retro green sofa.
I need help picking the right shade of gray to go with...
Just want a place that's relaxing!
Being a junior in highschool is stressful with lots...
color ideas for front door?
White house, dove gray shutters, estate gray roof....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.