powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What Do I Do With This Huge Bare Wall In My Living Room?
stjjm5
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Its been almost 3 years that I have lived with this bare wall only because I don't know how to decorate it. I think I want trim design with a new paint color but am open to any contemporary/transitional ideas.
Thanks!
Tracy
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Can you post 3 more pictures showing all directions of this area?
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:29PM
lirva
Why not take a look round some art shops and purchase a HUGE multi coloured abstract painting ..... or buy a large canvass and paint your own abstract.Or fill the wall with various size photos and paintings and turn it into your very own personal art gallery Lirva
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:33PM
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
Lots of elevation needed. I like the idea of an abstract painting. How about separating the vertical space with trim and hanging some mirror windows above and the painting below?
4 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:09PM
Tammy Sprinkle
I love your idea of using molding to break up the space. There are so many design options with that. You can frame art, sculptures, sconces, mirrors, etc. Another idea would be to wall decals. An example is in one of the photos I attached. Another idea would be to use artwork and photos mixed with architectural pieces, etc. I also have see a wall divided into 2/3 color on bottom and 1/3 different color on top and a piece of molding at the division sort of like a picture rail.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:38PM
Bonnie
Do you mean trim work... like picture molding? I have pasted some photos for ideas. I think some picture molding would help to give it a little definition, warm it up, and you could pull off either contemporary or traditional depending on your choice of paint, wallpaper etc...

Dining Room
Gorgeous Living Room in Hollywood Regency Style - Robert Naik photography
Condominium
Traditional Living Room
living room
Family Room
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:42PM
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
Huge wall is any artist dream. How do you like these aluminum prints? They can be either frameless of framed. http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/wall-design/products/living-room-wall-design-11?hzz
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:53PM
Keena Paul
Commonly frames are for walls. Right? That's the essence of walls to be decorated by something that you can stick to it. Wall lights will do, just match it with your style or DIY wall decors just like. Hanged tiny shells in a tiny string.. Just be creative!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:59PM
centaurita
Love the ideas from Alexei. Especially the last one in the white frame.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:23PM
designideas4me
Well I think the couch should not be up against the wall for one thing. I also dont like the big art idea on that wall unless you LOVE it cuz you will be stuck having to decorate around that piece. A large rug and new coffee table with decor will help focus attention on the couch and rug than on the wall alone. Bring it more into the room not against the wall.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:36PM
designideas4me
Hey I have the same ikea lamp..

But its not the right scale for that space.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:37PM
Charlie Vanderwilt
I would suggest a VERY large piece (or pieces) of art with some bold colour and/or a Very large rectangular mirror hung horizontally
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:56PM
loroca
I think the easiest and cheapest way to deal with it would be to get maybe 3 or 4 large canvas paintings/prints and evenly space them across the wall. If carefully measured, you might even be able to cover those speakers. Maybe even get some picture lamps, and you can have your own gallery.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:24AM
designgrl01
Break it up with a paint effect or grouping mirrors and other objects in a non-symmetrical look.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:41AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
You should not decorate one wall if you cannot see the rest of the room.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 8:43AM
designgrl01
As the picture leads me to believe that the left wall has windows - taller based on the light pattern they emit and the right side of the room appears to be a stair wall just off the entry. A cluster of artwork over the sofa will define the wall area that is living room space verses the right side of the wall that is the foyer - it appears. More pictures would help, but based on what I see and read into the picture - this my best limited input for you---best of luck in your projects.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:06AM
PRO
Mark Hogan Architect
Having some large framed black and white photography on that wall might be easier to coordinate with furnishings than a large and colorful painting. You could do three large framed photos and then add color elsewhere. I would also do something with those speakers - either covers for them that blend into the wall better or move them entirely.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 11:04AM
PRO
Phase Five Interiors
You can paint the wall a darker color as an accent wall to give the illusion that it is smaller. Also molding a great way to break up the wall, as many mentioned.

Have a grouping of artwork in one area to draw the eye.

Good luck!
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 12:12PM
PRO
Construction Guaranteed
Please. You must tell us what those dark rectangles are on the wall of the original picture?
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 12:17PM
PRO
flair lighting
they are built in speakers Con. Guaranteed..
1 Like   May 15, 2014 at 12:21PM
PRO
flair lighting
are you painting?... here is another thought. all the large dark lighting is making your eye go up. I would if you can consider some different fixtures. DO you use the fan?....The entry fixture is very heavy against the mint wall. and is large, at least from this angle. My eye goes strait to all the dark spots.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 12:24PM
PRO
flair lighting
your furniture is more contemporary a brushed finish would be nice. floating shelves, would help blend the speaker boxes away. what about white banisters...
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 12:39PM
PRO
Lindsay Cowles Fine Art
I've got lots of great abstract art ideas...from originals to prints. Check out my Houzz page if you like the images you see. And visit http://lindsaycowlesfineart.bigcartel.com/category/prints to view many of the print availabilities in different sizes.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 5:47PM
PRO
Lindsay Cowles Fine Art
Sorry, here are some more photos...3 didn't upload last time.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 5:49PM
PRO
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I think repainting and getting rid of the green walls is the first (and necessary) step in making this space work. A beige like Natural Linen or a grey like Revere Pewter would both work nicely in this space. I'm enclosing photos of rooms I've done in both. Remember that the less contrast between the wall colour and the furniture, more spacious everything feels. That's why your sofa looks so tiny against this green wall - it's dwarfed by the colour. I would hesitate to add colourful abstract art as well. It will dominate the wall and still make the sofa look tiny. You can fill the wall with art but it will just make the furniture below look even smaller. Instead, get a bolder area rug to ground the sofa and create an interesting seating area. Then you can do some artwork above the sofa without feeling like you have to fill the space. Good luck from Montreal!
2 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 5:57PM
PRO
Warner Decor
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 6:21PM
PRO
Flo de Bretagne
Hello, have you done anything to your wall yet?
A large colorful painting would look amazing!!
0 Likes   October 2, 2014 at 1:26PM
PRO
SoCal Contractor
large art work, dramatic wallpaper, open shelving, accessories. Just a few suggestions.
0 Likes   October 2, 2014 at 2:26PM
trela47
How about a mural? Like an intricate tree leaves design with a slightly darker shade of green with specks of gold?
0 Likes   October 2, 2014 at 2:34PM
trela47
You might also want to add something brown to contrast the couch and math your other furnisher.
0 Likes   October 2, 2014 at 2:35PM
PRO
Appleton Art Design, LLC
I agree with Rebecca Mitchell; to paint the walls a neutral color so that the sofa does not look so small and overpowered by the wall. When choosing artwork, I would suggest a horizontal piece.
0 Likes   October 2, 2014 at 4:50PM