Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My family room needs a facelift..HELP!
allavarivoda
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to get new a new sofa/chairs and update the look of my family room; willing to repaint or keep the brown and do a brown/blue combo. Some of the sofa's I like so far are "Home Elegance Trenton" in the gray velvet; or "Martha Stewart's Staybridge" also. For the Trenton I thought just sofa and maybe chair but with a large round brown ottoman-tufted? I need a bit of inspiration from poeple who have great ideas, I'm kinda overwhelmed. Willing to do a new color scheme/theme also. Please help:)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
You have a lovely room it looks like it is just begging for hardwood flooring! Is that a possibility?
I looked at the sofas you are considering. I prefer the Trenton over the Staybridge because the big arms that are on the Staybridge are no longer a current look.

However, I wish you would also look at Mitchell Gold furniture for a sofa and chairs. They have great styling! Here's one I like for your home: http://www.mgbwhome.com/CARRIE-COLLECTION-P10690.aspx Note the nice leg that is showing on that sofa. I'd like you do look for an exposed leg like that for your new sofa, and your chairs too.

Here's a chair I like: http://www.mgbwhome.com/BLAKELY-CHAIR-P10671.aspx If there is a Mitchell Gold dealer near you, I suspect they could give you some good ideas about what pieces you could use in your home. Just take the room measurements and some photos with you.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:34PM
allavarivoda
Thank you Carolyn! Oh that Carrie sofa is beautiful! and Iike the chair idea also..thanks for noting the outdated arms on the Staybridge-I don't want something too trendy that will be outdated in a few months. The hardwood would look great but we choose the carpeting for that room particularly due to the fact that our kids/us spend a lot of time cuddling/playing on that floor so it's a must for coziness and comfort. My living room is hardwood..but that's a project for another day;)
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:45PM
PRO
There will be time when the kids are older to put hardwood in the family room. A lot of the Mitchell Gold furniture is available in leather also, which would be practical with children. But the fiber protection available on fabric sofas is great these days too.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:54PM
allavarivoda
what about the wall color?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:11PM
PRO
You can work with it or change it. Shop for your sofa and chairs and see if there's a fabric or leather that you fall in love with. If it goes with your walls, great. If it doesn't, then perhaps it's time for a change. But do make sure that you take into account the colors in adjoining spaces. Do you have a Mitchell Gold dealer in your area? If not, you can shop on line and they'll probably send you fabric swatches. I also like a lot of what Room & Board has and they will also send you fabric samples.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:36PM
allavarivoda
I would love more ideas if anyone wants to share...
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:20PM
PRO
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
The first thing I suggest doing is hiring a local professional to help you with space planning options. That is the most important thing. This will help you not make buying mistakes along the process.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 8:24PM
kathrynmcdonald
This is a beautiful room but the overall look is too brown. Adding navy blue in the furniture--perhaps solid for the sofa and with a pattern for the chair/chairs with some colorful pillows, lamps, and art would brighten it up. I envy you the "problem" of having to do over this room.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:32PM
allavarivoda
@katrynmcdonald-I agree, and we've enjoyed it for 8 years now; but I think the brown is getting to me! So I am thinking maybe keep the walls but get a new sofa/chairs; and spice it up a bit. Thank you for the ideas, I acutually like the idea of some blue too.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:51PM
allavarivoda
here's a pic of two sofas that I like...
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:01PM
Tracy Taylor
Also note the Nathan Anthony Elton Sofa. http://www.nafurniture.com/upholstery/elton I just ordered two for my theater... gorgeous! Love the Mitchel Gold Sofa, I just love having one cushion... LOL While I adore the oversized clock it is begging for a place maybe above the fireplace? The nadia chair from sam moore would look great with it- http://www.sammoore.com/index.cfm/upholstered-armchairs/catalog.product/code/4508.21/nadia
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:10PM
Tracy Taylor
keep in mind you can change the fabric and frame colors on sam moore!
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 9:21PM
Tracy Taylor
I would consider pairing down all the items in the bookcases. Maybe painting the backs out a fun color or wallpapering them and selectively reintroducing favorite items or small groupings would bring a little finished touch. Use a rug to ground the area and put the color on the walls. Its easy and cheap to paint and change throw pillows and accessories. Where as sofas and chairs are more of an investment. I prefer to keep the larger pieces more neutral. Good luck!
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 9:29PM
allavarivoda
These chairs are beautiful..especially the script in lower left corner. Wonder how child proof though? I am trying to keep the kiddos in mind and keep it comfortable as well as sophisticated, I know, no easy feat! Thanks for the great ideas Tracy Taylor
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:37PM
allavarivoda
oh, and the idea of painting or papering the fireplace is great! Never occured to me lol
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:37PM
Tracy Taylor
The frames are as sturdy as you can get. I have two in the Antoinette chair from Sam Moore- I adore them. With kids I would stay away from white until they are older, but you would be amazed at the scotch guard and warranty available today! I have a sofa that looks like silk and is nylon the dogs jump on it the teenagers plop on it... super durable. Its all in the double rubs I tell you! A designer can easily help you pick a range of fabrics that will suit your lifestyle. PS Please excuse the barren wall above the fake silk sofa... I was waiting for the art to arrive... LOL
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:09PM
Tracy Taylor
Yeah it could be totally fun to pick an accent color to pop off the bookcase! If it was my room I would totally paint out the whole thing to match the trim but it nicely balances all the cabinets in the kitchen too! Here are some ideas... dont forget DOUBLE RUBS and SCOTCH GUARD!!! Happy Designing!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:19PM