Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Looking for advice on drapes
figosmom
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Thinking of adding panels to windows. I don't need privacy but think the room needs color and layering. I was thinking of the pillow fabric but maybe should stick to neutrals? Also what to do with dining area window on same wall. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cypress
Your room looks great as is, but I can see that drapery panels would add some depth. I would go with a neutral color on these panels as well as the dining room window. If you are brave, opt for the pillow fabric, if you love it. Also, consider hanging a "chandy" with a drum shade above your dining table.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:41PM
PRO
Danniels-French Design
The pillow fabric is beautiful but it might look a bit strong on the windows and not connect with the room. I would be inclined to use something more neutral but with a bit of pattern or texture as it seems most of your fabrics are solid colours. And I would use the same fabric on all windows but as the windows are very different proportions I would suggest using panels in the living room with the panel pulling to the side furthest from the fireplace, and then in the dining room use either a roman blind or even just a simple tailored valence - something with perhaps just a reverse pleat in the corners and the centre. Make sure to have room for the panels to pull somewhat off the windows so you keep most of the window.

"Chandy" is not a term I am familiar with however assume it means some sort of chandelier - the type with drop crystals and a fabric drum? Very popular look and a great idea. There needs to be something dropped from the ceiling to fill the empty space. And rule of thumb for dining room light fixture size is to measure the width of the room in feet, multiply by 2 and the resultant number is the approximate diameter for the fixture in inches. Then hang so approximately 30" - 34" above the table top or 66" from the floor.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:33PM
karendingmon
I would do single panel on the fireplace windows hanging from 2" wood rods and rings. About a 3.5" band the leading edge of the panel. Keep the color a variation of the wall color or a neutral. You want the panels to be a statement piece but not jump out at you. I would also do a roman shade on the dining area window in the same fabric with the band at the bottom edge. Hang the shade from the same 2" rod and rings as the panels.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:58PM
figosmom
Thanks! I would love to do a chandelier but 24' tall cathedral slanted ceiling. Been afraid to try and hang something from it. See photo.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:27PM
figosmom
Sorry. Didn't really get the ceiling.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:33PM
lionnessone
Simple and elegant. My favorite drapes are the ones with the trim.
[houzz=Millneck Showhouse][houzz=KBK Interior Design Portfolio][houzz=HGTV Showhouse][houzz=Traditional Living Room]

Don't be afraid to do a chandelier on your 24 foot tall cathedral slanted ceiling, I think it will look beautiful.
houzz=Dining Room][houzz=Dining Room with wood paneled wainscot and modern style][houzz=Foyers]
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:48PM
cg2013
Hi fabric wonderful. Make valances of the fabric over windows. I would put uv sheer blinds to allow light and simple window look. I would paint yellow wall in background colour of pillow, silver or light gray. Move mirror or paint it ivory. Your ottoman would be great redone in the fabric Or as an accent frame material piece and use as wall dec instead of mirror. Hope you like some of these suggestions
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:54PM
figosmom
I had custom valances there before. Did the wood blinds because don't really like a lot of window treatments. Like a cleaner look but now wanting something a little different-hence the panels. I've Re done the ottoman once so can do it again once I decide. Love the drum chandelier but still don't see it on a slanted ceiling. Just don't know how it will hang! Re-painting not in budget right now. Just Re-did kitchen! But like the suggestions! Still trying things for the mantle as well. Never can decide, so it stays the same!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:07PM
carolannr
I would do a flat tailored valance of the pillow fabric, then silk panels dropping on either side of the windows in the darker color of the pillow fabric, Would add additional depth to the each room's neutral color scheme. Chandeliers hang wonderfully from slanted ceilings, we do it all the time, I don't think a drum chandelier tho, something more classic.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:28PM
PRO
Danniels-French Design
OK - couple more comments - can you move the sofa in closer to the chairs so it creates a more intimate conversation area? Perhaps angle chairs either side of the fireplace - or not! Just pull them apart a bit more to make room for the sofa. Or 2 chairs on the side to the dining area and the sofa on the wall or 2 chairs on the wall side, pull up the sofa and then get one occasional chair pulled up on dining room side. Just a thought.
Lamp to the right of the fireplace is too small a scale there - it competes with the height of the fireplace mantle.
And as for dining light I found a bunch of pictures and put them in an idea book with comments but don't know how to get to you!! Anyway - it will work - it will hang properly - just needs to be the right size, visual weight and height. Search Vaulted Ceiling Light in dining room category.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:32PM
figosmom
I can however it then leaves at least 4' or more behind the sofa. I don't want to put another sofa table behind. I already have too many case pieces as is I think. One in foyer then bar cabinet in living area.
Have tried in different spots put doesn't look good anywhere else. I have had the chairs in all those areas!! The wall has pottery barn shelves on it so a little weird over there. Next to dining table is too close not enough room but I appreciate the thought. bTW. Lamp is temporary. Don't usually have anything there don't use this room much. Have another room for Tv watching etc. thanks! Will look at the chandelier link. That I would really like to tackle!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
Some color suggestions for front door please.
Hello. We just finished painting the trim on this...
I am looking for the paneled trophy room in this months houzz
Can you shoe picture of the paneled trophy room in...
Need an opinion on my area rug
Is this area rug too light for this room? Need some...
Kitchen window treatments
We have finally wrapped up our kitchen remodel!! Yeah!!...
Suggestions on living room furniture/layout
Hi - I am getting new living room furniture to replace...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.