Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
To Brenda Fisher and deco enthusiaste living room update
aahines
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Is this more of what y'all had in mind for our traditional living room? We haven't tackled walls, built bookshelves, bought a rug yet but we rearranged furniture and baby grand piano. All other suggestions greatly appreciated!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
aahines
These are before and after photos
January 30, 2013 at 3:05pm   
decoenthusiaste
Well, the hard part (physically) is done! The piano is moved! I like it. What do you think? Just a tip or two: when you have a pair of chairs together, it is customary to use a square table if the chairs are to be squared up. A round table is better with the chairs angled. Try a smaller square table with the pair. Now that we see the windows better, I'd like to see the sofa floated facing the piano and placed perpendicular with the portion of the window farthest from the piano. Once you have an area rug, you'll be able to re-cord lamps with long cords to run under the rug and reach an outlet so you can still have an end table and lamp on at least one end of the sofa. Your little French upholstered chair and the round table with a lamp could sit in the largest section of the window, angled toward the sofa. Try it and you'll start to see how large an area rug you'll need. What are you thinking about the drapes?
January 30, 2013 at 3:29pm     
aahines
Thanks for your help. Not sure about drapes yet. They are original to the house built in 1962 and done by hand. We like them but I also understand what you are saying about very formal and dated. We have a matching set in the dining room. We like the piano where you said to move it. I do kind of miss seeing the curvature of the piano. Here are the pics with the sofa moved and the French style chair and tables swapped. We will eventually buy a rug. I'd rather have wood floors with it than shag carpet though. We have had measurements taken for bookshelves floor to ceiling. Any suggestions on our wall color?
January 30, 2013 at 8:02pm   
Darzy
I like the first arrangement better. Nice job! But, I think the piano keys should be in the corner..(the pianist should be facing the audience). You'll see the prettey keys when you walk in, but see the pretty curves of the piano when sitting.
January 30, 2013 at 8:07pm     
aahines
Thanks for your comments. Is there anything I can do to have our room recognized more for more suggestions? Some people on here have gotten 30 to 80 responses on one room
Also, out of curiosity, are any of the responders on houzz actually interior decorators/designers professionally or mostly just followers of houzz.com?
January 31, 2013 at 8:52am   
aahines
DECOENTHUSIASTE!!
Did you get the new photos I sent you last night after you requested I move the sofa and swap the tables?
January 31, 2013 at 2:14pm