Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Mixing rustic & contemporary?
ckcraig
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I bought a peacock colored sofa/ love seat I fell in love with along with these zebra chairs. I love romantic/regency look mixed with rustic oversized pieces. I want to incorporate the new sofa/chairs in my living room with my Indonesian book shelf and armoirer, along with my large gold framed picture. Is this wrong to try to mix these two styles? If not, how can I bring them together better? I'm unsure on a rug for the room although I do want a gold with glass top coffee table in the center of the room under the rug. I am planning on getting rid of the huge Indonesian coffee table and putting a big leather or upholstered chair in that corner with a large fur ottoman at the foot. I would appreciate some serious guidance. I feel like I know what I love but not how to tie it together so it looks & feels right. Thank you for your help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
yfuoco
I would flip the bookcase and the painting. I would also move the sofa off the wall and place it directly across from the love seat (you might want to flip the sofa and love seat based on space) and place the coffee table in the middle. The chairs are fine where they are.
January 30, 2013 at 3:28PM     
ckcraig
Great ideas! I appreciate that so much. Then I wouldn't need an extra chair, right?
This is a link to the other pictures of the living room. http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/7112782
January 30, 2013 at 3:33PM   
anitajoyce
Wow! I love the color of your sofas. A nice tan or grey wall color and a nice rug with tan, gold, brown and maybe some blue in it will help pull the room together. Move the large sofa to where the small one is and have the small one face it. Place the bookshelf on the picture wall with the 2 zebra chairs on each side of it or place one chair with the bookshelf and the other one facing it on the other side with a rug in the middle with your ottoman . I too would remove the huge picture. It overpowers the room and replace it with something in abstract art or a big flower picture.
The sofas should be the main attraction in the room. Add panels to the windows also.
January 30, 2013 at 3:33PM     
kitasei
I would add some paintings with equal oomph on a non-religious theme. This seems overpowering to me.
January 30, 2013 at 3:34PM     
curacaoblue
I like the room but the painting is just too much. If you at least took it out of the gold frame maybe....
January 30, 2013 at 3:58PM     
curacaoblue
Sorry, I hope you don't take that the wrong way because I don't mean it to be offensive. I just think the painting doesn't really fit. It's the size and gold more than anything. I also agree with switching the couches to have the smaller on the wall with windows. I really do like the colors a lot!
January 30, 2013 at 4:02PM   
tealeaf1012
I love your sofa and chairs!!! The blue color is beautiful!! I think the painting is way too powerful for the room, and I think if you switched it out to something else it would make a huge difference.
January 30, 2013 at 4:29PM     
ckcraig
Thank you for the help. I understand the comments on the painting not fitting in with the furniture, especially if I want the sofa's to be eye catching, which I do. I don't feel bad about the comments on the painting. I asked for suggestions and I appreciate them completely. The painting is a favorite family heirloom piece that came from the we just moved from & it went perfect in that home with different furniture. What about the Gold mirror on the opposite wall? Should I paint the frame a different color or is it ok to pull Gold in with the sofas?
January 30, 2013 at 4:38PM   
sluggodog
Love your turquoise velvet sofa's mixed with the zebra chairs - beautiful. I think that picture is just too big for that wall (sorry)-- the balance is off because the picture sits higher then your windows, and the bookshelf looks small against that big wall. I can see why you may want the pictuer there, because you see it when you walk in from the front door or enter the room.. I think moving the picture it to the wall where the book case is -- the size of that space can handle the picture better, but I would swich the couches and move the longer sofa there too, as it is close in length of the picture. If the longer couch does not fit, then end tables with the love seat will balance it out I like the idea of adding an area rug and I think curtains will add the layered look to complete the room -- by adding those 2, I think you will get a better feel of the room morphing into what you want. If your not against adding "pop" of deep red to the room, that would look lovely too wtih turquoise and golds.
January 30, 2013 at 4:40PM     
anitajoyce
What is the fabric on the sofas?
January 30, 2013 at 5:15PM   
judianna20
Family heirlooms… sometimes you just have to work around them. Could you paint the walls a darker color; have the painting the only thing on the wall. kimberlee Jaynes
Or add a dark blue rug, and have an accent blue wall.
Entry Way
January 30, 2013 at 5:22PM     
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I think the painting needs a wall of its own. Would it fit on the wall where the mirror is?
January 30, 2013 at 5:34PM     
ispeakwhale
I love these sofas and chairs - the color and pattern is gorgeous!! I agree with what others have suggested. The only other thing is if you really want the heirloom pic in the room, and you move it to the other wall, maybe balance it out by hanging curtains from the ceiling to add height and drama. Maybe even a black and white stripe paneled curtain hung from ceiling to floor. Then add one small black and white striped pillow to the sofa. Also, not sure on what color to suggest, but painting the walls a light to medium shade to marry the darker furnishings and contrasting patterns could help tie it all in. Maybe pick a hue from whatever rug you may find. Maybe, the color of the couches taken almost all the way to its 2nd to lightest shade. ;)

Good luck! You have a great start here!
January 30, 2013 at 6:05PM     
Judy M
I agree with the first response on changing the furniture arrangement and I also agree with the post above about trying drapes to balance out the painting. Hang them at ceiling height as suggested. I don't agree that the drapes should be black and white stripe.
Try the coffee table in front of sofa if it's too big, then replace.
January 30, 2013 at 6:12PM   
ispeakwhale
A floral pattern would work as well as stripes for the Hollywood Regency style. You could also do a floral pattern in the same color or shade similar to the couches.

Here's a link to an etsy pic. Google Hollywood Regency. Any pattern but zebra for the curtains. ;) That picture can handle outgoing friends in the same room. ;)
http://pinterest.com/pin/265008759292561633/
January 30, 2013 at 6:25PM   
Darzy
I personally like the statement piece of the large art (yes, it's big) but that's okay! I love your new sofa/color. To make the room feel "cohesive" repeat elements in the room. Gold frame? Gold/glass coffee table. Wood accent chairs, then partial wood accent table. Basically, repeat an element at least three times in the space. I like Judyg's idea of a a dark wall...maybe just the short wall by those great zebra chairs? A beautiful aqua/blue area rug woud be lovely here.
January 30, 2013 at 6:25PM     
carriedecorates
Gold accents to say yes that painting is crazy, and I meant to put it there. I love an eclectic design that breaks rules, so long as it creates its own harmony.
January 30, 2013 at 7:04PM     
Darzy
Once you hang your drapery, the painting height will look right. How about moving the small round table by the sofa/loveseat? Then, get a glass/wood table for the zebra chairs? A gold/glass coffee table for the sofa? Check out blue/gold drapery for your space. Something like this...

January 30, 2013 at 7:24PM     
felecialongest
January 30, 2013 at 7:34PM     
Abbie Crosby
I love the sofas! The painting is fabulous & unique. Drapes will make it more beautiful.
January 30, 2013 at 7:39PM     
mydixiedoodle
Hi, while I must agree with the other folks with regard to the painting... it's not nailed on so you could move it somewhere else, but if you don't want to... I think painting the room a bold color in the orange family would make the sofa and the chairs really pop. Even the painting would fit in. I know it may sound crazy, but the right shade of orange or a russet would be the perfect background to the color of your sofa. These colors are opposites on the color wheel. The painting together with the sofa reminds me of the kind of decor you would see somewhere in Italy. And terra cotta walls are what made me think of this color for your room. Once you add the paint, then you could get a rug (a large enough one for the center of the room, and it should have colors which are deep and rich, like the peacock blues, deep reds, orange etc. A Persian type rug but maybe with a small flower pattern.. as long as it's not close to the zebra chairs. I would use the paint there, but keep the chairs as a separate design focal point. Not only would painting the walls warm it up, but it would create a huge WOW factor.
January 30, 2013 at 7:46PM     
ispeakwhale
I like mydixiedoodles suggestion of warm walls in the orange family! That would be so yummy, and make the painting a very much on purpose design decision. :) It's refreshing to read bold suggestions!
January 30, 2013 at 8:32PM     
syhilkemeyer
okay, I actually love the painting & by bringing in a more intense gold pattern on the throw pillows, you can bring the frame down onto the couch. The blue of the couch is in the painting....you just need to increase the pull of the gold. & yes, you can combine rustic & contemporary! Warming up the walls would really help!

& now here we go: I think the whole room needs to be flipped. Put the sofa/painting on the left wall (where the bookcase is).
Keep the wonderful huge coffee table....its dark woods balance the room. Place the table in front of the sofa.
Move the bookcase to between the windows & balance this wall with drapery in blues/golds.
Place the loveseat where the chairs are, & move the chairs to each side of the bookcase (if there's room). This still allows for your conversation group + you should have room for a special chaise in the corner. I would lean toward a chaise in warm gold/soft browns with a black &/or peacock throw to work the colors across the room.
You also need a dark wood piece by the fireplace....to balance out the bookcase & coffee table.
Use the gold table you want to purchase in the corner with the chaise to bring the gold of the painting across the room.
Oh, & toss a peacock throw on one of the zebra chairs....once again pulling the colors together.
One more piece of artwork combining all of the colors could be placed above the fireplace.
& an eclectic rug will pull it all together.

I think you are headed in the right direction. Love the peacock color + the painting. & I do not believe the painting is oversized, nor is its theme unappealing. I applaud your choices....this room is coming from your heart!
January 30, 2013 at 9:24PM     
aloha42
Picture is far too big. Overpowering. An area rug would anchor the room.
January 30, 2013 at 10:46PM   
PRO
sagar goyal
Concept is great, but if have the center table of frost iron with black rustic finish for furniture then great all.....
January 30, 2013 at 11:10PM   
PRO
sagar goyal
I like your view but Anything is great together depend on its design. Frost iron I mean not the heavy n odd, i mean only simple design in frost iron....
January 31, 2013 at 12:14AM   
sluggodog
If you add curtains and leave the picture there.. the curtains will likely be touching the frame of the picture or very close to.. it will look crowded. Find the rug you love, then paint the walls and add curtains.. and go from there..
January 31, 2013 at 4:35AM     
lesliemahler
Ditto the idea of putting your heirloom painting on the wall where the mirror currently resides.
January 31, 2013 at 4:42AM   
tinaburgismith
I like the painting and would try suggestions that would make it work for you. It brings a good feeling to your room. :)
January 31, 2013 at 5:16AM     
bubblyjock
Picture is extraordinary but, as others mentioned, it's a bit overwhelming. I suspect it could be very striking hung in a passageway, if you have one, so you get up-close-and-personal with it, and it becomes a more intimate experience.

I LOVE your sofas!

Think about keeping the Indonesian coffee table, and getting a softer kilim or Persian rug in rich reds to drape over it. This is very Dutch, rooted in the Dutch East Indies Colonial history - you'll often see it in 17th and 18th century Dutch paintings - see link here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rembrandt_-_Klesveverlaugets_forstandere_i_Amsterdam.jpg

Then sit the table up against the wall between the two tall windows (where the painting is now), and "back" it with a pile of luxuriant down-filled cushions to give yourself some more occasional seating (if it slips, just use that sticky carpet underlay stuff between the rug and the table), then pull in the sofas so they're opposite one another on either side of it (ie roughly T'd off those two tall windows), and pop your desired gold and glass coffee table between them.

I'm thinking a rug in rich reds, and some often have a bit of teal/blue in them as well, such as any one of these:
https://www.onekingslane.com/sales/15234
January 31, 2013 at 5:24AM     
Diamondflame
The painting is majestic. Many find it overpowering because are no furnishings or accessories to play off that rich and warm golden hue from the frame. A dark coffee table with golden accessories over an area rug in mustard, throw pillows in gold/zebra stripes etc. will help create a more put together look. A golden chandelier and wall scones will not look out of place either. But I need to say this - your sofa color is simply out of this world! Love it, love it, love it...!
January 31, 2013 at 5:39AM     
Jean Tuck
like this setting not fond of zebra print chair covers like pattern material in vertical stros to match sofas, tall green leafy plant in between winows left of fireplace,
tv to right of firplace. white lace panels on all window full length.
January 31, 2013 at 6:37AM   
Debbie White
Color is definitely needed on some of your walls. The picture is to big and controls the feel of the room. Some artwork with the sofa color would be nice. I to enjoy religious artwork but a little smaller.
January 31, 2013 at 8:37AM   
nancymic
Or, you could try the bookcase in the corner instead of the tree, at 45 degrees, then bring the chairs right into the seating grouping opposite where your coffee table will be. Agree that you can paint the painting into the background with any of the aforementioned golden, caramel, or orange wall colors. Also what about the frame, can you Change it to something more modern? Can you remove the short wall where the chairs are now? Very cool chairs and sofa. I also agree with tying it all together with an area rug that repeats the colors. Personally I'd keep the coffee table you have now and probably even move the bookshelf to another room. But only you know how much gold you want in the room (you mentioned new coffee table with gold in it). That's personal...
January 31, 2013 at 12:09PM     
alefantee
Looks great!
January 31, 2013 at 12:13PM   
nononanna
Susannah is right that when the room is full, the picture might look less overpowering. Deinitely think the walls should be a warmer color, and that drapes will help. Love the idea of adding another strong color - orange would be good, but other jewel tones that are the same intensity as the turquoise would also be good - emerald, topaz, rasberry, anything with the same color weight as the blue. Don't decide to get rid of anything until everything is in place.
January 31, 2013 at 12:26PM     
ckcraig
So many great ideas! I am very impressed with all your suggestions. I will mix it up and add pictures of the changes to get more feedback. Thank you all so much!
January 31, 2013 at 3:37PM     
gstegman
I would move the painting but I would also paint the frame black. It would change a lot and help tie it in if you moved it off that wall.
January 31, 2013 at 3:50PM   
handymam
I don't understand what everyone's objection is to the painting...I don't think it is too big. I don't think it is framed incorrectly, and I don't think the subject matter is overwhelming for the homeowner.
I have just recently come to this site, and I notice that a lot of people are very judgemental about things that are people's personal style. There are design rights and wrongs, but there is no "correct' color and no "correct' style of art. Rearrange the furniture, fine. Tell someone what kind of art to hang? Nope.
January 31, 2013 at 5:07PM   
judianna20
handymam, not everyone is objecting to the painting. And, no one is being judgmental. ckcraig is asking for opinions/suggestions. Get on board and share yours.
January 31, 2013 at 5:13PM   
gstegman
There are many kinds of art to hang. It should be a journey of discovery for something you love that also enhances all the other pieces. If it could fit where the mirror is and you love it that much that is where I would put it. It is way to big to be above the sofa. It is longer than the sofa and miniaturizes it.
Everything should blend together when you put a room together. There should not be one thing that pulls the eye so much that you can't look at anything else. People try to just fill up walls because they don't think there should be an empty space instead of searching for just the right piece regardless of how long it takes.
January 31, 2013 at 5:14PM   
ckcraig
Here are a few variations...Just trying to incorporate some of the suggestions. I truly appreciate everyone's input and ideas. You people are brilliant & inspire. I know there is a lot of work to be done but I thought I could see how a few changes looked. I need some muscle to move the picture or the book case (if I move them at all). What do you think?
January 31, 2013 at 7:00PM     
ckcraig
Any picture suggestions for a chandelier in the corner between the small window and large? Here are a few ideas... I'd love for you to attach some pictures of chandeliers that would tie in nicely.
January 31, 2013 at 7:09PM     
Judit
Everything is fantastic! I'd keep the Indonesian table but would place a gold-glass one in the middle. I have no problem with the golden frame and the size of the painting but PLEASE: anything but a giant Christ! :)
January 31, 2013 at 7:14PM     
ckcraig
I really like the table you suggested, @judit Thanks for the picture to help me see what you are thinking. The painting is a treasure to me & my family so it will stay, maybe not on that wall but it is a part of us. I want our home to reflect decor we love with pieces that remind us who we are & what is important to our family. I know I can make it feel warm & elegant, just like I envision, with all the fabulous ideas from comments here.
January 31, 2013 at 7:30PM     
bclowg
If you can paint the walls, I think it would add some instant drama to your space. These are very luxurious shapes and textures, having a boring ole white wall takes away from the essence of your furnishings.

For example, dark gray really brings out that pop of color in the sofa. The carpet is on the pink side, so that might be what is vaguely disturbing your sense of peace :) A nice black/white area rug would pull the space together, especially with the vibrant turquoise sofa and bright gold frame (gotta love jesus with a shotgun!)
January 31, 2013 at 7:44PM     
gstegman
The picture is just too big for that wall and between those windows. It just dwarfs everything in it's path. That is why I think it should be on that wall that looks like it's a walk way. It's by itself yet ties in with the room because you can see it. Nothing has to compete with it. I like the gray but I think it's a tad dark because the sofa's get lost in the wall. I think the chandelier is too much. If you love chandeliers they look really good in master bathrooms.
January 31, 2013 at 7:55PM   
Kim Walker
I would change the color of the frame of the painting. Black or another dark color.
January 31, 2013 at 8:35PM     
ispeakwhale
I still love those sofas!!!
January 31, 2013 at 11:10PM     
ispeakwhale
I love the gold throw on the sofa, and it reminded me of a House Beautiful article on Color Palettes from 2011.

Pics for color reference/inspiration: Golden walls instead of the orange/rust suggestion? The shade in the curtains, or possibly like the golden color in the room in the background of the pic with the curtains and chair. You can still use the red you have in the room already, but also bring a tiny bit of rust/orange in trim on a pillow or accessory.
January 31, 2013 at 11:31PM     
ispeakwhale
The colors in the last pic are too intense, but with the colors switched and the right shade...

imagine your sofas,
with the wall color as shown above or a hairdarker? - pic 3.
January 31, 2013 at 11:36PM   
mugsy1703
ckcraig ... the layout on the first picture is great! Addresses many of the problems. Sofa / loveseat balance each other, picture has it's own wall and the strong accent of red balances the strong color of the sofa and the picture. Don't paint the walls ... any of the suggestions make the sofa and loveseat look dull. The coffee table is great ... goes with your bookcase and what looks like a big armoir in the dining area. The only thing left to do is find some window treatments and add some of the peacock and red to the rest of the open space ... and get rid of that little throw rug.
February 1, 2013 at 2:03AM   
duneya
I think a different way of presenting the picture would make a huge diffference. If it is stretched on canvas, I would try it on the wall without the frame. Another option would be to go with a flat gray-black on the frame and get a mat for the picture, also in gray black. I would actually try a mat with a large oval in the middle (as long as it doesn't ruin the perspective of the painting). If that doesn't look right, then try a mat shaped like the frame, but definitely a 'fat' mat, or double matted(all in gray black). I know some people think obvious religious pictures in a iving room are not appropriate, but If that is what you would like your family to center their thoughts on every day, then it is highly appropriate. I think the zebra with the teal is fantastic, but maybe a large black and white striped rug like the one Ikea has. Really think it would fit right in
February 1, 2013 at 4:13AM   
duneya
PS- I think also, that a frame that curved back into the wall, or layed flat rather than sticking out front would look better.
February 1, 2013 at 4:14AM   
sluggodog
I like how the room is shaping up.!. I like fthe first one. and I love the pop of red. However, I think you may have added too many red flowers - I would pick one and go with it. I like where you are going with the carpet (I'm assuming you put a little one down to give you/us an idea) but I would go with a muted tone rug.. where the red is more subtle and not the dominant colour-- and I would spend a bit of money on the rug - so take your time finding what you love.. As suggested previously by someone else, a nice Kilim or Persian. Once you pick the area rug.. I think you will have a better idea of wall colour (although I did like the grey suggested above) soft gold on th walls would be nice too, simialr to picture below. If your not apposed, I think some patterned pillows would work (not sure if it's too eclectic), and I would probably loose the white pillow on the love seat. I do like your indonesian table too.. love the heavy would mix. I inlcuded a picture (wall and patterned pillows - minus a few colours that wouldn't work lol). I agree when it comes to home decor, choose what feels right to you, and good on you for incorporating a family heirloom.
February 1, 2013 at 5:34AM   
Bonnie
I like Ispeakwhale's suggestions for color combo... that will help to draw it together.
February 1, 2013 at 5:45AM   
syhilkemeyer
you're doing a great job! I do like the loveseat on the entry wall. I'm glad you switched up the furniture! As I said before, I love the painting & it's presence is eye-grabbing.

As for the chandelier, I like the one with the black accents....which pulls the zebra into the mix.
I also like the reds you've added, but you might want to consider going with rust/pumpkin tones to further pull from the painting! & a rug will pull it all together. Great start!
February 1, 2013 at 6:49AM   
Jayme H.
Would this be way too busy?
February 1, 2013 at 7:00AM   
PRO
Oriental Weavers
First thing: I think the painting could work if you balance out the wall with heavy (maybe dark red/orange) drapes. I think the colors are nice.. Painting the space a muted bluish gray is a great idea.
Now let's talk rugs! I'm going to attach some good options that came to mind....
February 1, 2013 at 7:37AM     
PRO
Oriental Weavers
What's great about this space is that you have a lot of options! Most of our rugs can be found online... Here are a few more:
http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/oriental-weavers-sphinx-1105/tan/1321105ATAN-111033.html
http://www.rugexchange.com/kharma-807c4.html

Enjoy!
February 1, 2013 at 7:42AM   
Claire Hitchen
I'd add a slightly worn traditional patterned rug
February 1, 2013 at 7:44AM     
Jayme H.
I like that blue one!!
February 1, 2013 at 7:51AM     
bubblyjock
Sphinx's 4th rug with golds, blues and reds through it would look fabulous draped over the Indonesian table.

Shove the table against the wall where the painting is, cluster some luxurious cushions on it (avoid whites and creams), and set up the turquoise sofas as you have them in the 3rd photo in the second set of photos you posted. Gives you more seating, and all you have to buy is the little table you want, and the rug.

And put the painting in a hall where you can really feel its presence and power up close. Where it is now is too distant, too overwhelming, too gallery-like.
February 1, 2013 at 9:32AM   
decoenthusiaste
Haven't read all the posts but has anyone suggested that the painting needs its own focal wall? I would reverse it and the bookcase and would paint that end wall in an accent color that enhances the beauty of the painting and is different from what you select for the other walls. Drapes on those two windows could make a difference in the appearance of the scale of the room. Hang them floor to ceiling and extend them past the left and right frames to make the openings appear larger, leaving the space between them for the bookcase. Match them at the larger window but stay within its parameters.
February 1, 2013 at 9:59AM     
Darzy
I love this "second life" rug. It's old Turkish rugs re-dyed. Quality and beautiful. It looks like a family heirloom and loved a long time.

February 1, 2013 at 12:37PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I really think you need to trust your own taste. The picture above the sofa looks a bit large but if you do drapery or window treatments that are as high as the painting that will look wonderful. I think that the painting and the top of the windows are throwing the room out of balance. Then continue on with the same over scale accessories. Mix everything you love. If I were going to paint I would do the wall behind the zebra chairs the same color as the sofa. Add a new chair something that is not of the floor with legs. and think about that too when you buy a coffee table. There are legs on the sofa and L/Seat and zebra chairs So again it's about balance give some weight visually to the floor now too. Adding a rug would do that. The picture is unique by today's standards! Thank God you have your own personal taste. You will have a beautiful room ! Retired Decorator, Kevin
February 1, 2013 at 3:29PM   
mmppooka
Hi CKCraig, Your taking the photos with the diff furniture arrangements was a great idea. I liked the first one best with the 2 sofas facing each other with the dark coffee table in between. The mass created by the sofas is balanced by the mass of the painting. However, when I look at the painting, all I see is the bright gold frame. The frame is overshadowing the actual painting. If you can find something brown in your house (anything...fabric, pair of dk brown pants, anything), drape it over the gold frame. I think the dk brown frame color will bring up the brown from the coffee table and provide some continuity/connection/balance and your eye will register the painting's subject first, not the gold frame. See what happens.

The other thing I notice is the comparative masses of the painting and the single book case on the other wall. The book case looks short and "dinky". The dominating mass of the painting might be better balanced with 2 or 3 taller dark brown book cases on that other wall. You may or may not need an area rug under sofas.

I also loved the crazy zebra chairs where they currently are but think they look a little lost against that wall. Would it be too much drama to paint just that wall with a darker aqua color to repeat the sofa's color--not an exact match (too bright) but something close. It might be fun. Again, you could drape some fabric, piece of clothing over part of the wall to try get an idea how it would look. Just thoughts. Looking forward to seeing more pix....Morna
February 1, 2013 at 8:30PM   
sjkingston
Fascinating room and posts. The first pic with the sofas facing each other works and the heavy table balances the painting better a gold one would as mmppooka notes. You could get some gold Rub n Buff (metallic wax that comes in five gold shades) and highlight the edges of the sides and carvings (start out very light) of the dark wood to bring in a bit of gold. I'd save the gold and glass table for a console or desk table in the room, as you need the coffee table mass to anchor the picture. Also consider moving the picture down 6-8 inches as the coffee table is low and it seems a bit high. Light roman shades inside the windows and floor to ceiling drapes on the outer side of the each window to balance the picture. Ikea has a cotton velvet Sanela curtain that comes in several colors including a light turquoise, beige, grey and plum. One of them might work depending on the rFascinating room and posts. The first pic with the sofas facing each other works and the heavy table actually balances the painting better a gold one would as mmppooka notes. You could get some gold Rub n Buff (metallic wax that comes in five gold shades) and highlight the edges of the sides and carvings (start out very light) of the dark wood to bring in a bit of gold. I'd save the gold and glass table for a console or desk table in the room, as you need the mass to anchor the picture. Also consider moving the picture down 6-8 inches as the coffee table is low and it seems a bit high. Floor to ceiling drapes on the outer side of the each window to balance the picture and also on each side of the large corner window will carry a color around the room. Ikea has a cotton velvet Sanela curtain that comes in several colors including a light turquoise, beige, grey and plum. One of them might work depending on the rug you get. The velvet would be better than a light weight material, but check their other options as they are reasonable and generally super long and can be hemmed to length. Also, the bookcase looks lonely It need so be doubled or even tripled or moved to another room due to the width of that wall. If you don't want to move, you could put the two chairs, one on each side. Or move the bookcase to another room and get a glass/gold desk, a fabulous lamp and try the gold mirror above the desk in that nook to reflect light from the wide corner window opposite (to the left of the fireplace). If the mirror is large enough, it might balance the big picture. Wait on the lamp until the colors in the rest of the room come together and then maybe use the teal or a favorite accent color. It's coming together beautifully.
February 1, 2013 at 11:11PM