Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my kitchen Low budger DIY
rporter7482
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My house is an 1800's colonial,Want to keep the harvest table, my husbands father built it and it has been in the family over 70 years. Would like a floating island, back splash, new vent and stove,new paint,new floor and ceiling.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
rporter7482
kitchen
January 30, 2013 at 3:29pm   
rporter7482
The modern look wouldn't go in a colonial, and the walls in the one with the red tiles is too light for my cabinets. But I am thinking a brighter color. Love these kitchens.
January 30, 2013 at 6:03pm   
carriedecorates
Right now you have a lot of clutter, so as you dream up your modifications, maybe keep in mind adding more storage so you can put stuff away.
January 30, 2013 at 6:35pm   
carriedecorates
Also in the pops of color you have in there, I see reds, yellows, and greens. Seems like you are drawn to this set of colors--maybe use one on the walls?
January 30, 2013 at 6:38pm     
carole
you could group all your decorations on one wall,give that wall a color too,make a colorfull splashback,the floating island would take care of the storage,paint the ceiling white and white from the ceiling to the top of the cupboards,then paint the rest of your walls in a lighter tone than the one you pick for the deco-wall
January 31, 2013 at 12:55am     
Leanne Lovie
I've gathered up a few inspiration photos that remind me of your style. As much as I hate to say it, because the color bores me so, I think you need to add some white or buttermilk to your decorating scheme to give your country style kitchen an updated feel.

Kitchen examples 1
New Providence Lane Kitchen
Log Cabin Kitchen
Melaine Thompson
Debra Campbell Design
Kitchen examples 2
January 31, 2013 at 1:00am     
carole
maybe not yet colorfull enough,how about applegreen???that will mix good with red,but could get christmassy very quick!!will search for pict...
January 31, 2013 at 1:25am     
Tracy Taylor
Hmmm I suggest painting the cabinets. Add a moulding to the tops tops they seem a lil unfinished w/o them. Also consider Habitat for Humanity resale stores, maybe you can snag some cabinets with glass doors to stack on top of the uppers. Since you are painting it might work out really nicely. See the second photo. Consider painting in them a color vs a white because your counters are light.
January 31, 2013 at 1:51am     
Elizabeth Julian
I used maple cabinets with window to update my 1900 kitchen
January 31, 2013 at 2:55am     
charleee
I agree with Carole about grouping all your decorations and making a feature wall with them. Before I worried about a backsplash, I would look into adding top cabinets to your existing ones, as I see yours don't go all the way to the ceiling and you could use more storage (who couldn't?).
January 31, 2013 at 3:45am     
bdaprile
I am attempting to redo my kitchen . Most of the work I will do myself that is all the painting. Replacing a window, some electrial, and adding a stove vent I will leave to the professionals. I have decided to paint my kitchen cabinets red and walls a soft yellow. In HOUZZ's search engine type in red kitchen cabinets (or any color you like) and you will get a lot of great ideas. You can go with almost any color combinations you like. After looking at the red I knew the color would fit my passion for the color red. Painted cabinet (almost any color) really look great. Good luck with your project.
January 31, 2013 at 11:28am     
nononanna
In the 1800's everything would have been free standing pieces of furniture, so anything you do to reduce the "fitted kitchen" look will make it seem more authentic. And most of the furniture would have been painted. More than one color would help.
January 31, 2013 at 11:34am     
Amy Kelly
The ceiling must be done first...I can't tell from the pics...Is it pop-corn, or just a crack/peal problem?
either way, you'll need to remove everything off the top cabinets, counter-tops, etc. and cover with a tarp. If you want it 'redone' you may want a professional painter. save money by doing as much prep DIY as you can, but if it's a plaster ceiling, you will need a pro.
I would suggest a deep red for the walls. You seem to like the country look (the rooster, etc) and I notice a good bit of red. It would contrast nicely with your cabinets. Use minimal tile back splash in warm tones that incorporate the honey cabinets, the dark brown of the harvest table, and has pops of red.
I like the idea of going to the Habitat for Humanity Re-store! you can find some great cabinets, tile, and other things there. a few glass-door cabinets would look lovely.
Painting cabinets can be a big, messy, and time-consuming job...I would leave that as a last resort- better to just change out the hardware. A new stove with vent hood sounds like a great idea--I would take out the cabinets above the old stove and install a built-in microwave to free-up some counter space. Speaking of counter space, I couldn't help but notice the TV on the counter! I am not picking on you-I have to have my kitchen TV as well -who want to cook and clean without a little HGTV? Please spend an extra $150 (tops) for a flat-screen...they even make ones that fold under the counter!
Also, your wine glasses must be impossible to keep clean (not to mention hard to reach) on top of the cabinets...Install an under cabinet mount glass/ stemware rack for the ones you use most often and store the rest in a buffet or china cabinet.
If you want to keep the harvest table, I see no room for a floating island...Can you give the dimensions of the kitchen and the table?
I would be happy to post some pics if you like my ideas. GOOD LUCK!!
January 31, 2013 at 12:32pm     
centaurita
January 31, 2013 at 1:50pm   
rod handler
First: Dump the fan. If you can't afford new, paint the cupboards and change the pulls. Get cheap wooden pulls and paint them a contrasting color. like shiny black or red. If you can, get simple planked doors for the cupboards. They look at home in a colonial house.
Get rid of the vinyl flooring and go with a bright-colored lino like marmoleum (if it's in your budget) or Armstrong tiles.
Colonial kitchens almost always have wainscoting. Consider it where there aren't cabinets. Painted. Usually it's tongue and groove in utilitarian rooms.
If it were my kitchen, I'd search for a great old gas stove. Most of them work as well as modern stoves, but if you do a lot of baking, you may want to install a modern convection wall oven as well.
January 31, 2013 at 2:00pm     
libradesigneye
First - use paint. In a $ challenged approach, this is always your best investment.

Paint all cabinets in a toasty warm taupe (think mid-tone drabware wedgewood). Paint walls one shade lighter. Try a glossy dark crimson red beadboard backsplash. Add black hardware and eventually, a red stove. Replace hood with a microwave to free up counterspace. Add painted skinny cabinets turned on their sides with drabware beadboard backs above your existing cabinets, leave doors off - but add dentil crown molding and side trim to fill to ceiling / frame corner display area. Use these for some display, some storage of larger pieces. Take little glassware down from above and add one large painted red sign. Add open shelves with wood corbels painted drabware above /the width of the end of your table. Put your cookbooks there with rooster bookends and a basket to keep napkins, salt and pepper, practical table stuff.

Take stuff off counters (see microwave and cookbok notes above). Whe you add a toaster, or blender or mixer, spring for the red one and store them above the cabinets. No, in 1800 we didn't see red stoves and mixers, but that is the fun of the new eclectic mix you can have.

Using your harvest table instead of adding another island in makes good sense - it is gorgeous. If you do really have room for a freestanding island - use beadboard to wrap some it, stain the base dark to match your table and add a natural butcher block wood top - ikea sells them for less.

Look for feedsack with red printing fabric for a valance that hangs above / over the window. Window trim and all baseboards / door trim should go to deeper drabware tone like cabinets.

Eventually change out your fan for a old schoolhouse type fixture on a dimmer and add undercounter lighting. For now, paint it black with spray paint.
January 31, 2013 at 3:17pm     
aprilis1960
I would reface the cabinets with a simple shaker pattern and then paint them an off-white. Replace the hardware with a simple wrought iron (you can get those used--clean well with TSP and paint black. Then I would get either real tongue and groove or the panels that look like it and put on the ceiling----paint it in a blue hue (sea glass green or blue). Butcher block countertops and a wood or tile floor. An apron sink would look great too. Ditch the ceiling fan and get a industrial style pendant light. Love the pig and rooster. I would keep them and use them as jumping-off points.
February 1, 2013 at 8:18am     
rporter7482
Amy, I love all your ideas! You are right on with how I was thinking! Would love to see pictures you might want to share!
February 1, 2013 at 8:57am     
rporter7482
libradesigneye, love your ideas also! where can I find the paint color you are suggesting for the cabinets and trim? What brand? Thanks for your help!
February 1, 2013 at 9:15am   
aprilis1960
I wish I had pictures but these are ideas I have in my head after looking at thousands of pics from many sites.
February 1, 2013 at 9:23am   
aprilis1960
I am a Sherwin-Williams fan. Their paint (esp Cashmere) is awesome. The colors are approximated based on somethings I have collected. My local Sherwin-Williams gave me a color fan and I took what I loved and made comparisons. Sea glass can be obtained at most little seaside shops or online. As for the cabinet colors, I think a creamy off-white is a color that goes with so many others.
February 1, 2013 at 9:27am     
centaurita
Yes - Sherwin Wiliams! I would never use anything else on doors, trim or cabinets; but their ProClassic. Not cheap but they have sales often on paint (and accessories) and their website usually has a coupon. Last time I had 40% off + $10 coupon.
February 1, 2013 at 9:56am     
rporter7482
So glad I've found this site! I think I am half way there! First I will lay lighted cabinets on their side on top of the other cabinets for display and storage,(thanks for that Idea) already have a gold curtatin with red roosters,and doing some trim over the window between the cabinets, pretty tiles over stove, going to check the ceiling to see if there is bead board up there if so it will get painted, painting the walls a cream color. May paint the cabinets in the end if I still don't like them. Thats as far as I have gotten. Thanks for all the help and ideas! You guys are great! I think you can see I have decided to use several of your ideas! Keep them coming
February 1, 2013 at 4:28pm     
PRO
Cline Architects
I agree with one of the writers above who suggested painting your cabinets. The wood look is too modern for the age of your house, and besides, they look like Home Depot klassiks. Paint would cover the cheap look, while the traditional paneling will still come through.
For the floor, I suggest natural linoleum, such as Marmolium. It may be a little more expensive than vinyl, but not as expensive as tile. It is a good durable very traditional material that comes in some great colors. Did I mention it is made of natural materials?
February 1, 2013 at 4:39pm   
Elizabeth Julian
Perhaps i did not clearly communicate that I want to keep the cottage look of this house. It is an historical building. The hardwood floors are a redwood made from a previous basketball court. Covering these with linoleum would be a sin. The cabinets are also 100 years old, I am trying to accent them not replace them as well as keeping the slate sink. Modern appliances like stainless steel are not compatible with the cottage look. To date, I had added tongue and groove ceiling and added rod iron lights. The cabinets being added are all 6 plane glass fronts. New windows have been added to add light. It was the color scheme for a French Country look I need help with.
February 1, 2013 at 6:29pm   
ispeakwhale
A marmoleum floor would so rock!
February 1, 2013 at 6:58pm     
rporter7482
Cline Architects, My cabinets aren't cheap Home Depot klassiks, they are very well made amish cabinets and that is why I would rather not paint them. But we'll see. WilI consider the flooring since that has been mentioned before, but I was thinking about wide wood board painted floors.
February 1, 2013 at 7:08pm   
ispeakwhale
Wide wood painted floors is nice too. :)
February 1, 2013 at 7:15pm     
carole
no,it was not clear in the first write up,but i can tell you that you are on the right track,i live in france and before we bought this house we have seen about 30 others,the choices in colors here depend on old or new...new anything goes!!old style you have already found most of the picst!white,yellow,green or bleu!!the look i personally like is wooden cabinets that are waxed,sometimes with a cream or depending on the wood,just taken back and waxed,i like that look very much and i think that will suit your kitchen too
February 1, 2013 at 7:38pm     
centaurita
Nice work so far. It is going to be so worth the work.
I think that I would only consider painting the cabinets after seeing the end result of your other updates too. It would really be a shame to paint quality wood!
Finish off your ceiling first, then choose your flooring. If you choose flooring that will look good with your cabinets, then it will so much easier to pick paint colors, backsplash, vent and stove. After everything else you can get new cabinet hardware to coordinate with your new lighting, vent and stove.
February 1, 2013 at 7:57pm     
rporter7482
centaurita, like your name! I feel like I have a new friend, thank you so much for all of your input, I appreciate your kindness and advice!
February 1, 2013 at 10:04pm     
centaurita
rporter7482,,
;)
I Hope to get your input too, when we start building later this year. Amish are going to erect our building and we have already picked out some furniture built by an Amish craftsman!
In the meantime - I am trying to sell our previous home, while living in an incredibly small, and really really old farmhouse on our new property. I can't wait until the day when we can move into a brand new place and shove this poor old place in the ground. So nice to live vicariously through the Houzzers here!!
Good Luck to you and hope to see you on Houzz again.
February 1, 2013 at 10:24pm     
nononanna
I live in provence, and the predominate colors here are yellow/gold and a lilacy-blue, with pink and green showing up - basically pastels, nothing harsh. The colors of lilac plants, olive trees, and early climbing rose. Wooden cabinets are considered more "noble" - don't paint them.

I think the wood of your cabinets is calling out for colors that are golder and warmer - the blue of the walls clashes. A real cream or honey color even.

Everything here is tile - countertops, floors, backsplash. Northern france has wooden floors, but everything in the south is terra cotta tile - the choices of colors is endless, of course.

But iin general, I think your kitchen is beautiful. Just a few color changes will make it all come together.
February 2, 2013 at 12:42am     
nononanna
BTW - when I mentioned provencal colors, I meant for accents, not for tile and paint. The oak will be even more beautiful with honey or cream colors around it.
February 2, 2013 at 3:55am     
PRO
Cline Architects
@rporter7482: Apologies for that comment regarding cabinets. I understand your reluctance to paint them now. Without regard to expense, painted cabinets would be more true to the age of your house.
February 2, 2013 at 1:15pm     
Amy Kelly
There are a few samples of some of the things I mentioned...I have more. Take each w/ a grain of salt. It is difficult to find photos of the exact colors/ tile/ products, especially all together in one photo!
February 3, 2013 at 5:26pm     
Amy Kelly
Here are some more...There are certain aspects or products in each photo that may appeal to you.
February 3, 2013 at 5:29pm   
rporter7482
Amy, thank you I love these kitchen's!
February 4, 2013 at 4:57pm   
rporter7482
nononanna, Thank you it is good to here that my cabinets are really french! lol
February 4, 2013 at 4:59pm     
rporter7482
centaurita, I would be glad to help you with what ever I can! Just let me know. I am on facebook my first name is Rita
February 4, 2013 at 5:01pm   
karmeg
Hi,
Just a little tip . I think you have too many ideas being thrown at you. Some are good.
Start by identifying what your color / style preferences are. Do you even like white cabinets, or do you prefer the color wood you have ? Do you want the kitchen to be bright and colorful, or do you prefer a more serene feeling?
It helps if you tag a bunch of rooms that you like and then identify the common thread.
Design is only good if it is a reflection of your taste and meets your needs.
HAVING SAID THAT, there is are a lot of artifacts and utensils that will distract from any look you are trying to achieve.

Before you do anything, remove 90% of the things on the counter, everything from the walls, and everything from above the cabinets. It is not a country "homey " look, it is visual clutter.
It is okay to have well chosen pieces that you enjoy, but a few well chosen pieces will satisfy your design.

Keep in mind that as the cabinets are now, they jump out from the background.
When the space is visually broken many times between base cabinet color, then backsplash
( different ) color, then cabinet, then wall ( color again ) it is harder to create a pulled together look.
Example: if you decided to leave the cabinets the same as they are,
Choose a shade backsplash that BLENDS with the cabinet color and the same goes for the walls.
If your cabinet is honey toned, don't choose a white or dark color backsplash.
A med. warm tone ( NOT Silver, or blue or bright for example ) - such as pumpkin colored glass, or copper, would be more harmonious.

If you did want to change the cabinets, say paint just the upper cabinets a color ( I would go lighter than the base cabinet color - not darker) , you should do the same thing; blend the surrounding walls and the different base cabinets will create contrast and anchor the room.

Additionally, you have white appliances which really look dated unless they blend in with white cabinets. YOU will get more bang for your buck aesthetically if you change those and get rid of the white. I would personally make do with the floor and adding an island and doing that first.
Anything that creates a harsh visual break ( like white appliances next to wood ) chops up the feeling in the room.
You could contemplate painting the one wall without cabinets a stronger or brighter color, and perhaps instead of a hanging collection, have a tall vertical chalkboard ( like those large 6 ' mirrors that are framed like art ) or a framed bulletin board or a large piece of canvas art !
If your budget allows, put crown molding on the upper cabinets and dress the window with an updated treatment ( no frills and do not obscure the window - place a treatment as high as the crown molding ).
You can inject your style / pattern with this and either some overstuffed chairs or some coordination chair cushions and a " personality piece " on your table.

Good luck and enjoy the process ( but do your homework ! )
February 4, 2013 at 5:52pm     
Amy Kelly
I wouldn't listen to those who just want to insult your taste or your ideas.
Comments like these: "It is not a country "homey " look, it is visual clutter." are not constructive or helpful in any way...nor are people who come across as know-it-all types:
" rather than the things that are important to YOU, what SHOULD be done is_______instead...

A "Country clutter"-style kitchen if done well, can be really cute, homey, and comforting. Not everyone wants to eat and gather in a sterile, stainless-steel, industrial looking environment. Might as well live in a hotel! ; )
February 4, 2013 at 6:42pm     
karmeg
So sorry Amy, no intent to insult, Acutually, I am a decorator and was offering some free advice because I enjoy what I do and like to help people. Sorry if you misunderstood .
February 4, 2013 at 7:02pm     
Elizabeth Julian
Most of these suggestions don't seem to be done on a small budget. May I suggest accenting the cabinets with a new counter top. You can get them preformed at most large stores like Lowes, etc. Pick something dark, marble or slate look. Then go with that theme. Light walls, even white! Restorations has rod iron cabinet handles for short money. You have an "old" look with very few changes.
February 5, 2013 at 10:45pm     
Elizabeth Julian
Final thought, the rooster has a French Country flavor and the black and white floor would pull this look together with a couple rooster rugs. I found them on-line. It is a fun look and quite in style now.
February 5, 2013 at 10:48pm     
Elizabeth Julian
Last thought, promise. Change the fan to a black rod iron look to finish the look. Total restoration should be about 200 for the fan, 150 for cabinet hardware, 1000 for counter top and 500 for the floor.
February 5, 2013 at 10:53pm     
carole
i thuoght elizabeth julian was the questioner,i dont understand this,but to the owner of this kitchen
dont get bullied by whatever anyones suggestion are,go with what you like and take the tips and hints you need,you know how you want to live,good luck and i hope to see this kitchen again in the before and aftersection and i am sure it will be "magnifique"!!
February 6, 2013 at 1:17am     
rinqreation
Paint the walls. Get new flooring. Ditch the fan. Try to make the deco look less like clutter (f.e. do those glasses need to be there?). Maybe get a new stove. The cabinets look fine. My guess is start refreshing everything around them.
February 6, 2013 at 3:23am     
rinqreation
And if you're skilled enough, you could hang the cabinets a bit higher, so a shelf will fit underneath. Less clutter on top, more workspace.
February 6, 2013 at 3:26am     
Janet Carmichael
Houzz is fantastic because you get so many ideas. Sometimes they don't sit with you well and you have to go with that gut. Just listen to your gut but still encourage all of these ideas to flow through. Some of the "odd" ideas help form your commitment to the others.

On the "stuff" comment, I just went through cleaning out my kitchen in and outside the cabinets and I can tell you, if you haven't done it, it is so refreshing. A couple of rules/thoughts when you do (and of course, donate all that you can or have a garage sale to help offset future costs):

Ask yourself simple questions when you pull it out of the cabinet: Do I really LOVE this? Do i USE it? If you do keep it. If you don't, keep it only if it has sentimental meaning. Take the wine bottle on top of your cabinets, is this something you look at often and get gooey? Maybe it is from a great anniversary and you can't part with it. That's ok but if you don't use it or need to see regularly then perhaps a keepsake box in the attic is a better place?

On cookbooks, do you use them all regularly? I found that I had a bunch that I bought to support church but never used them. Donate. Now, my Joy of Cooking and the other classics that are pretty AND I don't use them, I kept because I like classics on my shelf!

Wineglasses? I see you have a bunch. Do you have that many parties to accommodate that many drinkers? If not, donate (glassware and other silverware stuff will not sell at a garage sale) If so, perhaps box them and store them where you can access when you have the party.

Also, re-look at some of the things you have. Bring the pretty ones at eye level. The ceramic apple thingy above the cabinets looks nice and would be really pretty on the table instead of the candles mixed with the bananas (do they really go together?)

We get into what it easy and don't re-look at simple things because if we did, it would just be another project. But, if you are going to paint/replace/etc. then this is a great time to make boxes that say garage sale, giveaway and toss. I kept three out and each day attacked one cabinet so as to not overwhelm myself.

One final note: I also rearranged where stuff was in my cabinets thanks to my great friend Lina. It was difficult as first but it made so much sense. As an example in my case, my food was in a pantry that was several steps away so I moved that closer then used the pantry to hold my serving dishes and cookware that was only used occasionally. This was one of the greatest re-designs of my life.

Enjoy!
February 6, 2013 at 3:52am     
Elizabeth Julian
Might be easier to mount the appliances to the bottom cabinets that can be or add a shelf under the cabinets or if possible add shelves somewhere. Easier than raising cabinets, that can be tricky work.
February 6, 2013 at 4:11am     
Elizabeth Julian
That is the beauty of exchanging ideas, you take some, toss some and make them your own adding your own good taste. It has been very helpful for me.
February 6, 2013 at 4:18am     
rporter7482
Elizabeth, I agree, and that is what I've been doing! I love that I can get all this help, and see what everyone else is doing,
and who knows maybe I will be able to help someone also! Carol I will post a after picture, It will be a while because of sickness in my family so check back!
February 6, 2013 at 8:23pm   
carole
will do!! and wish you strength.
February 7, 2013 at 2:52am   
Janet Carmichael
Any updates?
March 16, 2013 at 5:05am   
Lynn Edwards
I have a similar color scheme/style in my kitchen. The first thing I did was change the counter tops from light to dark. It make the cabinets look so much richer. I did a light backsplash which was nice but then I had water damage in my wall and had to replace. I chose a more bold backsplash which really made everything pop. I think the backsplash is like jewelry for the kitchen!
March 16, 2013 at 5:25am     
rporter7482
Lynn, i really like your counter tops, I will start looking for some.
March 16, 2013 at 2:07pm