powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with family room. Window coverings, rug, and more!
sarahmcfarland
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help choosing window coverings for our family room. It needs to provide privacy. Also, I am buying a new rug and am not sure what size to get. I am torn between this 9X12 http://www.westelm.com/products/lourdes-sanchez-swirl-rug-b855/?pkey=cpattern-rugs-flooring&cm_src=pattern-rugs-flooring||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_- or possibly a neutral/natural fiber custom size rug that fits the entire space. I am getting rid of the red chair. I am thinking of possibly putting a recliner or some other type of comfy chair here...can you recommend one? Any other design ideas welcome!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy M
Your current area rug looks small for the space, so I suggest a larger size than the one you have.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 3:53PM
saraj11357
Or maybe try turning the rug the other direction!, I would use the same colors for your draperies! The burnt orange, cream,
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:58PM
PRO
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
I would not turn the rug the other direction. The long side of the rug needs to run with the long side of the room and TV.

I am a hugh fan of simple drapes. I think a nice calm drape with help the space feel clean!

For sure need a bigger rug.

Have you thought about a modern swivel/rocker chair instead of a recliner. If you go with a recliner, be sure to do one that doesn't look like one.

Moab Utah Vacation Home
Living room
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:00PM
sarahmcfarland
so the current rug is 7X10. do we think the West Elm 9X12 would work here? I am up for a modern swivel as long as I can get an ottoman. do we think it would be too bare if I did basic white blinds? I am guessing it should be a blinds with curtains combo? For privacy? Should I put the swivel/recliner where the current red chair is at or in a different spot? I've ordered this new media console so I need help choosing a new side table too. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/organizing-and-storage/media-centers-storage/blake-grey-wash-68-media-console/s149597
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:10PM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
Love the sectional!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:15PM
sarahmcfarland
Thanks! Its the Room&Board Townsend Sectional. It was a splurge but I figure its a 15 year investment.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:18PM
PRO
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
It looks like that is the only place you can put the swivel/rocker chair.

I would also look into hunter douglas silhouettes as a window covering. They look like shutters but are soft like fabric. I would also do drapes as well.

Adams
Hunter Douglas Silhouettes....one of my favorites!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:19PM
PRO
Alix Flamm Designs
You could get some roman shades in a fabric that you like. I like the color of the chair maybe pick a fabric with that color in it. A neutral textured area rug. Would look great. Pillows to work with the fabric for the roman shades.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:55PM
jhanat
I think a bigger rug, add some matching orange pillows to the sofa and yes I agree a simple drape to compliment that will color scheme.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:14PM
jhanat
sorry .."that will compliment the color scheme"
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:15PM
kathy
Very nice room, you're well started, but I would like to see the fireplace featured better, or connected to the room better.

Can you move the whole seating area towards the fireplace a foot or 2 or 3, and move the kids' table to behind the sofa with the other toy storage area? Perhaps it could even go behind the long part of the sofa across from the tv. Either way, it can act as the 'console table' that is so often suggested to dress up the back of a sofa. Then your larger rug and chair will connect the fireplace with the seating area. And it might be possible to have 2 of the swivel chairs, if you wanted.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Color clueless
PLEASE..! Please ..! Please...! Help me find the best...
Redoing 1990's oak house - need help choosing bannister spindle color
I've been modernizing our house by redoing all oak...
Go to it, guys!
Wanting to change the flooring, paint, & update the...
DESIGN DISASTER! GRANITE AND TILE DON"T MATCH!
We have spend $$$ totally remodeling our master bath...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.