Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Trying to get thi look
sondramartina
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
First photo is the look that i am PARTIALLY trying to achieve. Ive got green-yellow chair,going to buy some pillows but my question is the rug. Third and fourth pic.is showing rug in our music studio. Shoul i bring it to the livingoom or buy different one? Ofcourse i would prefer not to buy new one.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Terri Williams
Your rug has a nice bold pattern. It seems to be two shades of brown and your sofa looks brown. Is that accurate? I think it could work with brown rather than the gray in your inspiration. The window treatment doesn't have quite the same vibe though.
January 30, 2013 at 4:45PM   
sondramartina
My sofa is dark gray and pattern in green rug is brown.:s
January 30, 2013 at 4:47PM   
PRO
Portal Design Inc
I suggest buying a different rug. The inspiration photo you posted has two distinct characteristics to the rug that really make it work - one: the pattern in the inspiration photo is structured, giving it that clean, modern aesthetic but the 2 rugs you have shown are more organic in pattern. two: the blue/greenish base color of the rug in your inspiration photo is complimentary to the sofa, throw pillows and accents but the color of the 2 rugs in pics 2, 3 and 4 is too similar to your sofa and wall color to provide that contrast in color needed to make it "pop". You'll need something geometric, and/or structured and with bold contrast to achieve a similar look. Try looking at online retailers like CB2, gusmodern, 2modern or FLOR for ideas.
January 30, 2013 at 4:52PM     
Jayme H.
Overstock.com
January 30, 2013 at 5:25PM     
olldroo
Have you tried putting the music room rug in your living room? Hard to tell from photos, but it doesn't look like it is large enough.
January 30, 2013 at 5:39PM   
AMN
The music room rug is way too warm and scroll-y for the look you are trying to achieve. Jayme's suggs are a good start.
January 30, 2013 at 5:43PM     
anitajoyce
Bring the music room rug into the living room. It will balance the room better. The zebra print just doesn't do anything to enhance the room.
January 30, 2013 at 5:43PM   
alefantee
It's beautiful! The only thing that I'd question is the rug...... It's a little too busy.
January 30, 2013 at 5:57PM   
sondramartina
Zebra rug was temporary anyways .I want to achieve color wise look,i don't think I can get the complete feel of that inspirational room.
Jayme Hobbs, arent those rugs too dark?IAlthough like their pattern. What other rug color should I try?
January 30, 2013 at 6:01PM   
sondramartina
My "photoshop" .And this is the chair.
Please ignore wall art,I will get different one.
January 30, 2013 at 6:24PM     
Jayme H.
I thought the rugs had enough light with the grey, but I could be wrong.
January 30, 2013 at 6:31PM   
olldroo
sondra - what a difference that makes to the room. I felt Jayme's suggestions were a little dark, although she usually finds some great things. Not sure if these patterns will work but I'm looking at something lighter

[houzz=Handmade Soho Chrono Grey/Ivory New Zealand Wool Rug]

[houzz=Modern living]
January 30, 2013 at 6:34PM   
sondramartina
Oldroo thanks.I really have no idea what rug colour would give nice contrast with the chair and warm brown hardwood.
January 30, 2013 at 7:30PM   
olldroo
Sorry sondra, I can't help you more, I'm not in the US. Either try places you know online for rugs to see what is on offer or go shopping (we women do that well). Take a camera with you too to take photos of anything you see of interest. If it were me, I would definitely keep the colour pale so it doesn't compete and also to brighten your room.
January 30, 2013 at 7:41PM   
Jayme H.
Two from RugsUSA
January 30, 2013 at 7:43PM     
olldroo
Like that green one Jayme, but it might clash with the chair??

Sondra - try this link, you might see something there that will appeal to you.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/area-rugs/p/60
January 30, 2013 at 7:45PM   
designideas4me
Maybe you should just imatate that room peice by peice if thats what you like cuz sorry to say but your room now doesnt go with that chair.
January 30, 2013 at 7:47PM   
designideas4me
your inspiration room is mostly the same shades of gray and white throughout and the green is much more of a yellow green. You are not getting enough contrast with what you have..its too mushy and muted.
January 30, 2013 at 7:49PM   
Jayme H.
Both rugs from rugs usa are grey and white...I think it's hard to tell exactly from the pics and computers..but I think grey can work with that green accent chair.
January 30, 2013 at 7:51PM   
olldroo
Jayme, yes that is one thing computers don't do well and even harder when the room photos are quite dark. Definitely go the grey with the green chair, it would be too hard to match to anything else and I like the amount of white to brighten the area. Do you think something with a pattern like this would work?

[houzz=
]
January 30, 2013 at 8:03PM     
sondramartina
@designideas4me I am pretty sure (this time) with different rug and accessories it will look great.
Portal Design explained it nicely and that's what I will do.
January 30, 2013 at 8:11PM     
PRO
slaah
Its so mutch clour tow clour matching to gether it will be cool for the eays
January 30, 2013 at 9:41PM   
sondramartina
My chair is chartreuse colour same as pillows in inspirational photo(not yellow) and rug in studio is green with brown.I am not sure if these colours would fight .I also want to avoid moving all the furniture if it is not going to look ok until i find better rug.
January 31, 2013 at 6:39AM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I'm with Jamie, keep the rug in the grey & cream tones and a geometric pattern. Add additional chair green to the room in very large pillows on the sofa (they can be a pattern with other colors for interest, but the dominant color should be the chair green. Replace your draperies with a cream natural fiber with a 4" wide band of "the" green on the sides and bottom, also extend the rods completely off the window to the sides.
January 31, 2013 at 6:53AM     
Jayme H.
I agree with Barbara Griffith Designs...Although the color of the new rug u chose may match, it will take it to a different look, with the geen no longer an accent, but dominanting the look. Look for patterns like the one u liked in your post.
January 31, 2013 at 7:34AM     
PRO
slaah
Jayme hobbs /defrent look is good
January 31, 2013 at 10:35AM   
Jayme H.
I like different too..but look at her first picture she said she is trying to get the look of that room...:)
January 31, 2013 at 10:38AM     
PRO
slaah
Barbara griffith designer /i agree with you
January 31, 2013 at 10:45AM   
14thstreet
I agree with most others- I dont think the rugs you own will acheive that look you're going for. I also agree with going with something gray/cream/white to keep a neutral base, but also contrast and lightness to your floor. I definitely think you should avoid using green in the rug also to achieve the look you want.

Some more ideas... http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-nadra-trellis/lt-grey/200MTVS49A-76096.html http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-medea-chevron/grey/200HJHK57C-76096.html http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/oriental-weavers-sphinx-2654d/grey/1322654D-9100129.html http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/surya-ach1700/gray/158ACH1702-508.html
January 31, 2013 at 11:02AM     
groveraxle
January 31, 2013 at 11:13AM   
PRO
Oriental Weavers
I like what you're going for here. You definitely need some contrast, pattern, and color! I think you're on the right track... First thing I noticed is that your sofa and walls don't contrast enough. I would paint the walls (or one accent wall) a shade or two darker in a gloss finish to really amp up the "sleek". See your first pic. The art you place on this wall will really pop that way too and will look great with stark white trim. Pillows: they need to be colorful plump little guys! If you buy a larger insert for the pillowcases you have, it will make a big difference..but you still need color :) That brings me to the most important: RUG! I've attached a few that will really tie the space together. Remember, don't be afraid of color! This room is going to be AWESOME!
January 31, 2013 at 11:30AM   
sondramartina
Walls were painted few months ago and yes i agree we went a shade or darker .If I just picked SW Dorian Gray instead of custom mix it to make it darker.But it is not end of the world.
Thanks you all for your suggestions.I have to see what rugs are available in stores . I have enough time to decide what to do with chair.I like how it freshens the room . My mother just called me to tell me that chair is ugliest colour and style she has ever seen.
January 31, 2013 at 12:05PM     
14thstreet
I love the chair, your Mom is wrong. :)
January 31, 2013 at 12:09PM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
It's not Mom's house...
January 31, 2013 at 1:06PM     
Jayme H.
Thanks Mom!! Oh well, Mom's do that sometimes-LOL! (Ask mine)! The chair has a definite distinctive color and is quite stylish...I am more traditional/transitional, but can appreciate good style.
January 31, 2013 at 1:13PM     
Jayme H.
p.s. from the little wall I can see, your color looks great!
January 31, 2013 at 1:13PM   
sondramartina
Today I found this fabric for middle pillow,(from inspirattional photo) .YAY !!!
January 31, 2013 at 2:56PM   
Jayme H.
Is it dark grey/light grey and a salmon-like color? Keep the rugs two of the major colors or it will get way too busy, in my thoughts.
January 31, 2013 at 3:02PM   
sondramartina
This fabric is orange,light gray and black,but not as strong as this pic(my camera enhanced colours too much). And thanks. :)
January 31, 2013 at 3:29PM   
PRO
slaah
Jayme Hobbs/its better for to get alook
January 31, 2013 at 9:13PM   
PRO
slaah
Sondramartina/shade is better
January 31, 2013 at 9:41PM   
olldroo
Your chair colour is from the 70s - an era people either love or hate. In the case of your chair, it is simple, practical and the colour really adds oomph to the room.
January 31, 2013 at 10:06PM   
designideas4me
The only reason for that pillow is to tie in the redish orange pillow thats on the chair....it would seem. So are you planning to get a red orange pillow to put on the green chair? The chair in the pic is gray.
January 31, 2013 at 11:39PM   
designideas4me
Oh I guess thats a couch not a chair. Is the green chair your substitute for the ottomon? How are you going to tie that pillow into the room?
January 31, 2013 at 11:40PM   
ispeakwhale
I really like your inspiration room! I look forward to seeing this one done!

Get a new rug, though. :) Also, I don't think the orange, black and gray fabric will work for your pillow. IMO. Sorry! Good luck!
February 1, 2013 at 12:04AM   
sondramartina
Will see. I might go for purple instead of orange since I already have purple pillows and few accents that I can use. Purple and chartreuse is pretty combination.
Oldroo you mentioned '70 that's why she doesn't like it,she thinks it is oldfashioned.lol
We have to live with it few more days and decide.
February 1, 2013 at 4:01AM   
Jayme H.
Thinking that if you refer back to your original pic..that has the strong grey-basis..rug, sofa...and do something like that and then add in the "pops" of color/including the chair...it will look great!! Can't wait to see what you do!!
February 1, 2013 at 5:01AM   
sondramartina
Jayme thank you,you are really kind(no wonder you became a nurse :)) .
Ps. My mom is 80,so i forgive her everything even being very opinionated about chair
February 1, 2013 at 5:44AM     
Jayme H.
You are welcome, it's good to be creative with nice people!!
February 1, 2013 at 5:52AM   
sondramartina
I managed to take a picture before the dark. I am reconsidering chartreuse pillows. Would it be too much of accent colour?
February 1, 2013 at 5:41PM   
Terri Williams
I like it. Seems balanced. Nice work.
February 1, 2013 at 6:06PM   
karenlrice
I have this same dilemma. I have Benjamin Moore Iron Mountain walls (dark like the inspiration room), dark oak wood floors a gray / slate leather EA sofa and I picked a Candice Oleson Surya off white area rug. It has a carved design for texture. I have some pops of red and considering some type of neutral pattern for two chair. I love the boucle fabrics with texture. I also have considered a black and white cow hide pillow combination with some type of red mixed in. Without texture it becomes very smooth and uninteresting. Without a pop of color, my room is missing something. Your room is coming together.
February 1, 2013 at 6:06PM   
ispeakwhale
Hey, lookie there! That's looking pretty good! Easier to change the accent color than the rug. I do like the rug, by the way.
February 1, 2013 at 6:26PM   
sondramartina
What should I put instead of black and white art?
February 1, 2013 at 7:17PM   
ispeakwhale
Art that has purple, green and a bit of orange. Then an orangish throw, some books with orange in the cover...that kind of thing. You don't need a lot more, I don't think, if you can find some art in the right colors.
February 1, 2013 at 7:29PM   
jenksbabe3
Either of Jayme's pick of patterned grey rugs she posted a couple of days ago would look great...you need large green pillows in the shade of the chair for the couch...patterned are ok...don't use that grey and black stripe fabric...totally wrong.....the ottoman in your inspiration room is awesome and would look great in your room as well....you could even find some wrapping paper in that chartreuse or purple and cover a couple of books to put on the table...a larger vase on the table would work as well its all the little finishing touches that make it work and pull together!
February 1, 2013 at 7:55PM   
sondramartina
Found this rug,what do you think?
Pillows are not finalized yet.
February 2, 2013 at 10:32AM     
Genevieve
Just get some new brown cushions they will add to the Pistachio ones and compliment your rug . No need to change it its a nice rug . http://jerahphoeb.blogspot.ca/2012/12/crewel-pillow-bouvardia-light-pistachio.html
February 2, 2013 at 10:43AM   
sondramartina
Rug close up. What else is missing?
February 2, 2013 at 11:31AM     
Jayme H.
I would try to find a pillow with all the colors in it for pillows
February 2, 2013 at 11:34AM   
Genevieve
some chrome lamps
February 2, 2013 at 11:38AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You need a new rug and any of the ones above would be better than the one you have.
February 2, 2013 at 11:48AM   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
The new rug is a success! In your inspirational photo there is a crispness that the white window framing brings. You might consider white as an element to add over your sofa. Could be the art itself or the frame. Repaint the inside of your TV unit in white or grey.
February 2, 2013 at 11:53AM     
sondramartina
I think i will get rid of purple. Do i need orange at all?
February 2, 2013 at 12:14PM     
Genevieve
a touch of black ,yes:)
February 2, 2013 at 12:19PM   
Jayme H.
grey/black/touch of orange/white....
February 2, 2013 at 12:26PM   
14thstreet
I like the new rug!
February 2, 2013 at 12:43PM   
groveraxle
OK, sondramartina, I was emotionally wounded when you said you weren't keeping the artwork because you'd stolen it from your son, but I'm over it and I'm back. You are making yourself crazy. The gray rug with the squares works great. The green chair is fab. Keep the purple, dammit. It was just the pop you needed. Now, I'm going to find you some fabulous artwork!
February 2, 2013 at 1:27PM   
sondramartina
Grover thanks for the laugh!!! And for the suggestions too.
i am not home now but when we brought the rug in it felt right immediately. The whole room is much brighter as well.And later on i will tackle the entertainment unit like Jeffrey Brooks suggested.
February 2, 2013 at 2:09PM   
elledubs26
What is the paint color in the original inspiration pic? Anyone know?
August 4, 2013 at 6:15PM   
sondramartina
It is BM.
silhouette
AF-655
August 5, 2013 at 6:39AM   
More Discussions
Need Help for Landscaping University site
The site is for a University near Shillong, Meghalaya,India...
Bathroom paint color?
We tried a few different shades of beige and they clashed...
Help me find an area rug for this space!
This is the master bedroom in our new condo in FL....
Tiles selection
We want to change the tiles in the kitchen. Need help/suggestions...
Painting vinyl windows?
Has anyone ever painted white vinyl windows - black?...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.