Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need advice on light fixture
mspiggy
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I fell in love with the lotus flower chandelier but am now afraid it's too large. I live in a small cape cod house. The kitchen is 12' x 15' and my table is 45" in diameter. The picture is my fiancé holding the light to see what we think it would look like before we unwrap it and actually hang it. I love the light and can definitely see it hanging in a larger house that we hope to have one day but would love to be able to use it now. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
kobley
Sorry, but it is way too large. Is there a smaller version?
January 30, 2013 at 5:01pm     
PRO
StylishStaging
You are correct... too large.
January 30, 2013 at 5:05pm     
mspiggy
Thanks for the feedback. I purchased from Horchow in a 30% off sale and they only have one size.
January 30, 2013 at 5:07pm   
trasgorshek
Can you use it in the master bedroom or somewhere else in the house where proportionally would work?
January 30, 2013 at 5:09pm   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Rule of thumb= chandelier should be not more than 2/3rds of the table. Rules are made to be broken and in some cases it works but this is not one of them. If you like the shape you could use a smaller white paper lantern. It would not be a huge investment and you can store this one till you are ready for it.
January 30, 2013 at 5:11pm     
judianna20
It is too large,,,too bad, gorgeous light. For the future, keep in mind a light over your table is half the width, so 22" and hung 30/32 inches above the table top.

In the hallway/stairwell?

January 30, 2013 at 5:14pm     
mspiggy
I thought about the master bedroom but we use the ceiling fan a lot. I already have a small chandelier in the master bath. I'll keep thinking though!
January 30, 2013 at 5:14pm   
Lkristine
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/capiz-petal-flower-pendant/?catalogId=42&bnrid=3380801&cm_ven=Google%20Base&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=Feed&cm_ite=Google%20Base-3344827 I don't know for sure if this is a smaller version, and you may have to convert this to hardwire, just an idea though!
January 30, 2013 at 5:21pm   
mspiggy
Thanks! The one I have is 24" so the One at Pottery Barn is definitely smaller!
January 30, 2013 at 5:24pm   
carolannr
Yup, its too big. The chandelier can test that 2/3 rule if its a more open design but yours just isn't.
January 30, 2013 at 5:32pm   
mspiggy
I'm starting to really regret this purchase. I will lose $200 in shipping fees if I return it. Lesson learned.
January 30, 2013 at 5:40pm   
designideas4me
Find another place for it. maybe a corner of a bedroom.
January 30, 2013 at 5:42pm   
alefantee
Too large....but absolutely gorgeous! I would definitely buy smaller version. Maybe you have a larger room for the larger chandelier?
January 30, 2013 at 5:42pm   
judianna20
There isn't any other area in your home? How about directly above the bed in the master?

January 30, 2013 at 5:44pm   
mspiggy
My poor fiancé is bring such a good sport. We took this photo but I think it's probably too big here too.
January 30, 2013 at 6:02pm   
designideas4me
What is the lamp made of? maybe it can go on the back patio if able to be outside under an awning.
January 30, 2013 at 10:22pm   
Christelle
too big for the space :(
January 31, 2013 at 5:43pm   
cam27525
Too large....hopefully you didn't spend very much money on it. It kind of looks like a plastic bag.
February 1, 2013 at 6:37am   
intoit
Here is a smaller type from Ikea that might work and it is only 25 dollars. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60071344/
February 1, 2013 at 6:43am   
Natalie
It's BIG, but I LOVE IT!!! Don't send it back-keep it. Have an entryway or foyer? If so, hang it high (flush mount) if your ceiling is standard height. I think it would look Gorgeous! Good Luck!
February 1, 2013 at 6:47am     
PRO
Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
Natalie has the right idea. Don't think of it as a loss think of it as a future investment!
February 1, 2013 at 6:51am   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi again, your fiance is a good guy!!! I'd keep the fixture and find an alternative for the Kitchen. Look at something like a shade made of a woven material to soften things up.
February 1, 2013 at 9:03am   
mspiggy
Thanks so much for all the great ideas and positive advice! This is the first time I've ever posted a question on this site and have really enjoyed the experience! I'm definitely keeping the light to be used somewhere at some point!
February 1, 2013 at 6:15pm