Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Open Closet or Add Door?
love2browse
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My master bedroom closet is accessed through the master bathroom. I wanted more hanging space, so I purchased Ikea's PAX Wardrobes. I needed to remove the door to the closet in order to make it work. I added mirror doors to the fronts. There's only 27" of space between the units. I'm about to remodel my bathroom and want to include the reworking the closet to make it feel more spacious. The closet is above the garage and has a 12-5 pitch ceiling. I plan on recessing the closet 2', if I don't have any structural issues. I may be able to modify the wardrobes by cutting an angle at the top to make them fit, but may not be able to use the mirror doors. Should I leave the wardrobes open or should I have new doors made?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calvin Simons
I think you need to have a door. You have green in you're bedroom and orange in the walk in closet.
So yes, i say you need a door
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:48PM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
You need to be concerned about steam, sprays, perfume, etc. that will settle onto and be absorbed into your clothing. You can use doors, ventilation or a combination of both.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:25PM
love2browse
The room will be painted BM Richmond Bisque once remodeled. Just noticed last nit how awful the green looks with the wood tone in the picture! We have a his and her master bathrooms. Mine only has a tub, so steam is not an issue. Thanks for the input !
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:26AM
love2browse
*night
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:26AM
Jean Tuck
i might like to see the closet (orange) inside the closet painted same color as bedrm wall to make more spacious look.
Basically because there seems to be enough rm to put items out of site so no cluttered look just spacious.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:47AM
love2browse
If I can recess the low cabinets, I plan on turning the tall cabinet against the sloped wall so you the sides would be hidden. If it has to stay, I like the idea of painting.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:43AM
PRO
Woodcliffe Design
Do you walk through the bathroom to get to the closet? If that's the case I would open up the closet and use the PAX system as your closure. There's really no need any longer for a closed room with storage systems. This is one of our projects with the closet accessed through the bathroom. However, we added a pocket door since it was a steam shower, but it wasn't necessary with the venting.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:58AM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with Woodcliffe Design and others. A nice enclosed closet would be more visually pleasing every time you walk through this area to the bathroom.

1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 9:07AM
love2browse
Would love to do Woodcliffe Design recommendation, but I would want it to be done in cherry and that's not in the budget at this time. I'm going to do closed storage, I just needed the confirmation. Thanks All!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Help! Feminine Home office needs color and excitement
This is a photo of my home office currently. I'd love...
1920 Craftsman - PLEASE help with Paint Color for Kitchen/Sitting Area
My 1920 bungalow renovation is going well. (Thank...
Configuration of kitchen
Layout if room prohibits us from going the layout we'd...
Need help with our 70s era split level exterior.
We are going to be doing a second floor addition over...
Need ideas for my backyard.
This dirt part is along the whole back wall of our...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.