powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What can I do to make these 2 color blues work together ?
jennla
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I recently bought this beautiful bed but I also recently moved into this beautiful apartment and the bedroom paint color clashes with the bed. I actually love the paint color and I don't want to repaint. What can i do or
What colors can I add to make these 2 colors look nice together? The walls are a true bright Tiffany blue and the bed is a dull silverish blue velvet. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bron1
I think you have all the right colours working together to help tone down the two blues, the white lamp and bedding is a good start. What about adding a couple of white frames pictures to the wall and some cushions on the bed that pick up the two blues and maybe try adding some lavender to the room with a plant or/and cushions. I think a soft purple like lavender would tie the two blues together. Lovely bed :-) and bath..
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 5:35PM
Kate
lovely headboard! I would design the room using different shades of grey; in sheets (you already have some in the throw) maybe some black here and there, thus creating a monochromatic bedroom, where the blue would become a splash of colour. I think it would be less obvious that it clashes a bit.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:36PM
anitajoyce
How about a comforter with mostly grey or tan in color ( add white or orange accents like pilows). Either one of these neutral colors would be great to bring everything together
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:37PM
jennla
Thanks for your ideas. I was thinking that the white lamp and wilt were making the situation worse.... Hmmmmm. Maybe more white....
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:44PM
Katie Pringle
I second more white! Ikea frames with black and white photos flanking the bed would look cute. Or silver frames with white matting.
3 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:47PM
olldroo
jennia, when you put two colours side by side like that they will sit and look at each other. You now need to blend the two together by adding some blues to the bed in the form of pillows. I would keep your white in the room, it keeps the blue looking fresh and add some coral or soft orange colour to the pillows also. Some artwork beside the bed help with mixing the colours too.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:51PM
PRO
Shannon Ggem ASID
I think you need one of the colors to repeat in your duvet cover and maybe a throw pillow or an area rug to pull that all together. Good luck ! Cute elements so far! http://www.zazzle.com/modern_turquoise_grey_ivory_chevron_pattern_pillow-189779033361271857
3 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:51PM
PRO
Shannon Ggem ASID
and love that Dwell duvet cover
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:52PM
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:01PM
olldroo
Some cushion colour

[houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:01PM
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:03PM
Aja Mazin
Headboard and throw are fantastic, but they are not working with the blue walls.

Paint the walls.
5 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:03PM
PRO
Staged for Perfection
I think the best idea is for you to get a duvet that has both blues in it, or add some pillows that have both colours in it.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 6:09PM
fairviewbonnie
I would paint that chest beside the bed black. I agree that the blue on the wall is a nice color. Adding more white and black in the room will pull it all together.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:09PM
ispeakwhale
Bring in a third color - dark navy blue for example, in a pattern. Last year, Martha Stewart mag had a summer edition devoted to blues! One room had 3-4 different shades of blue in it, some blue gray, some navy, some mid-range shades. It was so unexpected, but was really pleasing to look at! I'll see if I can find an image. The pattern play in the Martha room would not work for your space, but it could give you ideas on how mixing blues can work if you think of it as another neutral like brown, or even white.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:10PM
jennla
If I just give up and paint the walls what color would be best ? I am not married to the white lamp and duvet either....
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 6:14PM
Aja Mazin
To say nothing of the yellow in your floors....
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:33PM
ispeakwhale
I think it would be hard to suggest a color since the photo isn't a true representation. To me it just looks gray - love the bed - which I like with the blue wall - love the blue color! If you found a duvet similar in color to the walls that may help tie it in, but if you feel it still clashes and leaves you unsettled then paint! :) Do you like monochromatic? Take a trip to Home Depot or Lowe's and look at paint swatches....the ones with 4-5 different shade on each. Start with gray blues and grab all the ones you think are similar to your bed. Take them home and tape them to the wall. Find a similar shade then go up or down depending on what you want - darker or lighter...all the way or just a little variance. Then on a color wheel find the blues, look at the colors that contrast and lighten the shade....pink or salmony pink, for ex. . Or do you like contrast? What are you looking for in a room? You seem to not like a lot of pattern. Orrrr, paint the walls white, a lot of ways you can go...What is your favorite color?
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 6:43PM
Cassidy Wilton
You could try getting a few decorative pillows that will mix the colors
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:52PM
Jennifer Hogan
Absolutely love the duvet cover - played with it a bit - think it would do the trick!
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 7:00PM
Aja Mazin
Perfect solution:
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 7:01PM
Aja Mazin
"jennla - If I just give up and paint the walls what color would be best ? "

Hey! I have a thought-
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:02PM
felecialongest
Add some pop as back pillows. Then layer another accent color, perhaps yellow or more white

0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:02PM
jennla
O no. Now I'm convinced I need to paint. Aghhhh Or hire a decorator.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:26PM
Jennifer Hogan
It is so hard for someone else to look at your space and pick out something that you will love.

Color and design is very personal and you aren't showing us enough of your taste for us to make really good selections for you.

Look in your closet - do you like small delicate patterns or bold prints?
What colors make your heart sing?

Your space should reflect your personality. What top would you wear with a pair of pants the color of your headboard?
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:29PM
olldroo
aja's idea looks clean, fresh and restful - if that appeals to you, but like Jennifer says, you have to work out the look you want for your room first.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 7:35PM
cherc
I also liked what Shannon added. These two colors are in lots of things right now!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:39PM
Jayme H.
When you walk into the room and look at it...how do u feel? Does it not look right..as in the paint and headboard don't work together..or is the feeling just..."I need a few accessories"...? If the answer is that it's bigger than the accessories...you need to make a change in either the headboard or the paint.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 7:47PM
PRO
Alix Flamm Designs
I see some glam in the faux fur throw, and the nail heads on the headboard. I would add some Peacock pillows maybe from Pier 1 or Z Galarie.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:08PM
mydixiedoodle
I am sorry to say that I think you should paint... and I'll tell you why. The blue of the headboard is an elegant blue gray, and it gets swallowed up by the brighter blue of the wall. While these blue walls accomodate the tub area, giving it a spa-like look... it does not do anything for the bed. If I were you, I would paint the room either white or a light gray, and accessorize with shades of blue, black and silver or paint the room a color close to the color of the bed but much lighter so that the bed will complement the color of the walls but won't be swallowed up or look out of place (like it does now). The blue paint on the walls now would be a good backdrop for a black headboard, or a wooden one, or a metallic silver one, but not yours. Also, if you do choose to paint take the paint all the way up to the ceiling, because right now the head board is really tall and the paint stops only a short distance from it making it appear like it's too big for the room. Once you've painted treat yourself to a really cool lamp, a fuzzy rug for either the foot of the bed, or both sides - and you'll be in a bedroom that will evoke calm and relaxation. I would also get a simple wrought iron towel bar and hang some thick towels near your tub, or just two nice size hooks. Beneath the towels, have a small but tallish table with a shelf under it for soaps and maybe a candle... I'm getting sleepy already :)
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 8:13PM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
The two blues are from totally different palettes - meaning two different energies. The reason they don't "go together" is the headboard covers a relatively large area and has created an undesirable focus in the room against the high energy wall color. Every element in the room supports the beautiful clear blue wall color except the headboard which is muddy by comparison. Best solution for a standout room is to reupholster or slipcover the headboard in a "clear" print incorporating the two blues with browns and a white background. Attached are suggestions covering alternate styles. The walls and the room will support a lighter headboard or a more dramatic darker one against the blue wall.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:26PM
aniluap2
I loved the blue room by Martha Stewart that ispeakwhale posted. It is very soothing and is a palette that is not often used.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:45PM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
Martha Stewart's comment on the blues is that they have an undertone of grey or beige. When working with colors with undertones all major colors need to be in the same undertone scale. Otherwise the scheme is off. In this case the blue walls are rather pure with no undertones but the headboard is distinctly greyed.
3 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:33AM
Jayme H.
These two colors do not work.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 7:35AM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
I agree Jayme
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:38AM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
Jayme I agree
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:38AM
Jayme H.
Your headboard could work with a blue like this
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:39AM
aniluap2
Jayme's color scheme is similar to Aja's and it is very soothing and would work very well with your beautiful headboard. Not so hard to paint its just the cut- ins that take time. Use a good primer to cover up the bright blue and then a good quality blue paint with grey undertones as suggested by Gloria Jarrod. A good roller with long attachable handle makes quick work of the job. Farrow and Ball, an English company, makes colors that are muted with gray undertones. They will send you a free color chart which you can order online. Thier paints are expensive but very rich looking colors...you could always have them color matched at your favorite paint store.
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:53AM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
But she LOVES the "true bright tiffany blue" on the walls. and they work well with the dark wood furniture. It all hangs together except the headboard which could be reupholstered in a solid - ultra suede or vinyl - dark navy, medium tan or even white would work - something with the punch of the tone of the furnishings in either a very light or very dark tonal value to create a transition between the tonal values of the walls and furniture.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:13AM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
Jayme I love the Farrow and Ball paints. They make it easy because it's a small collection and the colors are all in a similar undertone series. Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams have many more palettes so you have to use your "design eye" to isolate the undertone you want.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:20AM
aniluap2
Correct me if I'm mistaken,but I think she mentioned twice in the above that she thought she should repaint the bedroom. The headboard is brand new and beautiful. It is the more cost effective and practical solution to repaint rather than reupholster. I agree that BM and SW have a greater selection of color to choose from but sometimes less is more or at least helps someone, who is not used to choosing color, a reference or jumping off point and aids in the decision making process. The F&B paints can also be lightened up a bit with the addition of some white if that's desired.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 8:35AM
Jayme H.
I pick what I think looks good together...I seem to be able to tell somehow..many years of painting my homes and making observations..I love the neutrals and soft colors, and like a lot of Ben Moore colors! Oh..and I forgot..learned by making mistakes!!!!!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:46AM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
I was going by her comment in the second sentence about loving the wall color and not wanting to repaint.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:47AM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
Jayme we all learn that way - by making mistakes. Fortunately paint is not that expensive to correct.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 8:49AM
Jayme H.
I am on my way to the paint store as we speak...to hopefully not make a mistake...:) I have a room to do!!!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 9:06AM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
Jayme: I like your comment about walking into a room and finding you feel about it. The story or theme is what it's about. What's your theme and what room are you painting?
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 9:16AM
Jayme H.
I am painting a very small bedroom/office/t.v. room...small but has a vaulted ceiling. I am going to look into a greyish beige-like color...I am experimenting since we are planning a re-do of our open kitchen, dining, living areas and I want one color throughout! We have the dreaded light-hardwood look laminate that horrifies people nowadays..pergo was here when we moved in and really, with 3 dogs and kids it's fine for now!!! (Although at least ours is not one-tone, it has some variation mixed in)!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 9:34AM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
Since the Pergo dominates the spaces determine the undertone. Match it as closely as you can to a Farrow and Ball paint color. Determine if the floor is a light, medium or dark value. Choose the wall color to vary the tonal value (dark to light). If the floor is light - make the wall color medium, If the floor is medium value lighten the walls and add a darker accent somewhere else. If you send some photos I can be more specific.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 9:43AM
Jayme H.
I figured for the main rooms, a lighter to medium...I have been experimenting with samples for some time...not quite ready to paint main area yet. Don't want the color too dark as there is some dark in our brick fireplace and I don't want to accentuate that at all. We are also going to paint our oak cabinets white..again..the dreaded light oak 90's look! Our woodwork will be white, we have vaulted ceilings and I do not want it to get too dark on the walls also not too light. I like a very clean, neutral look with color in the accessories. Thanks.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 9:59AM
aniluap2
You seem to understand color very well , Jayme, based on the comments you have made on various posts. I like the same light colors you do since I find them restful. I like more saturated colors when I see them in other people's homes, but they are personally, hard for me to live with. Painting out
the oak will make a HUGE difference in updating your home. Good luck. ( you
may just want to order a free F&B color card, their colors are complex and interesting and there are some soft choices that might be just what you had in mind, more of a European aesthetic)
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:16PM
nancymic
Been there. Just paint. It's cheap. If you keep trying to make this work by buying lots of stuff, in the end it still will not work, in my opinion. Then you'll have to paint anyway.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:22PM
PRO
Staged for Perfection
Hire a decorator. Do it once and do it right!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:47PM
cutiedani12
I think you should paint the doors and night stand white, then add pillows and duvet as ohers have suggested above. Its coming together well, Ilike what you have going on in the room so far
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:55PM
PRO
Anel Guerra
I think the headboard is beautiful. Your question was how to make the two blue colors work? as in your not wanting to get in the mess of painting right? So, these colors don't got together. But to make them work I think you make a great change trying to cover up the floor. Its to yellow and since your light is also yellow that is what really catches my eye. Try some white fluffy rugs like sheepskin or in a dark rich color like navy blue , violet or charcoal grey. If you do decide to change the colors go ahead and still try to cover up the floor anyways I think it will really bring down all de tones in the room. The yellowness must go!. I see you have a rug but I would try something larger and with no patterns, just go for a solid color and ad some cushions with patterns like the ones they recommend before. Pattern in the bed instead of the floor. I think the nightstand could work because its in the same tones as the wood on the doors. It give the room an eclectic spin. The white stripe around the room also catches my eye and out balances everything. Like I said maybe you don't want to paint the whole room but getting that white off the top will also look a lot better. Try a mid tone grey instead not so dark not so light and just paint the white off. It's not such a hassle as to painting the whole room again.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 1:13PM
ispeakwhale
I bet if you consulted with a decorator for an hour they would be able to offer suggestions as to how you can marry the wall color and the bed. It's really not as bad as some are suggesting. Before putting in any work painting or shopping have a design professional step into the space and see the colors in real life.

Good luck and don't give up so easily, lol.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 1:47PM
Jayme H.
Thank you aniluap 2. I try to see what looks right and works together even if it's not my style preference...I grew up with very resourceful people, I guess that helped.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 1:56PM
Jayme H.
Leave the blue in the tub area & put a greyish color that will match the headboard on the rest of the walls...I guarantee it will look better. No need to hire a designer.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 2:12PM
rod handler
The colors are fine together. The room need more art, some fun lamps, period nightstands (could be painted to almost match headboard). The bath tub is very cool, except for the wood paneling over the window (?). Quick-paint it white.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 2:14PM
Jayme H.
Went to a large retailer today to buy paint for a spare bedroom and have concluded that they offer a lot of weird colors and tones...I swear...I think it's to get people to screw up and come back to buy more!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 2:15PM
jennla
Wow lots of ideas. I was hoping more people would say to just add more hues of blue accessories. I'm still not sure if ill paint but in leaning that way. Not to be lazy but my last house had 22 foot walls and I painted every inch. And I DO really like this blue I actuslly told the previous owner to just repaint the same color for me before i moved in; BIG mistake. I don't want to paint the dressers bc they are new and expensive too /although its a good idea. O the ugly paneling btw is really beautiful in person, it's a customer made steel and wood sliding door that leads to the bathroom. So I think I'll hire a professional for color choice and then paint and add artwork. The yellowish floors and dressers could make another mishap if I'm not careful. I was hoping everyone would just have the same magical solution. Design makes my brain hurt. Or maybe it's just this clashing bedroom !
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 5:23PM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
Guess you got more than you expected. There is no perfect solution. Just go with what makes the most sense to you and tells "your story".
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 5:37PM
Aja Mazin
Return the headboard.

It's lacks any interest or design and adds nothing to the bedroom.

Buy some new bedding.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:24PM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
Bravo.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:08PM
ispeakwhale
Here you go! House Beautiful.
3 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:47PM
ispeakwhale
"A Fabulously Feminine New Orleans Home" at housebeautiful.com
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:56PM
aniluap2
Looking at that picture above,they have definitely made the colors work together. I think now that I relook at the original picture it is the color of the furniture that throws a wrench into the picture. The grey and blue might work if the furniture was darker or lighter but it makes it all clash. Since the furniture is a big investment and you like it change the walls just in the bedroom section as Jayme suggested and leave the bath section as is? It will help visually separate the two spaces and you will still have a pop of your fun Tiffany blue
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:14AM
Jayme H.
Tones of colors are so tricky..what looks great in a pic is not always what we have...such as in this case.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:19AM
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Good morning Jenn,
I haven't had a chance to read all the other comments, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.
All you need to do to make the blue and the grey blue work together is find something to tie them together. (Like this area rug I digitally added to your space) This will make everything look "intentional". Also, repeating each colour at least once like I did with the lamp and the blanket will ensure everything looks like it belongs.
Have fun with your adorable room and please post "after" pictures!
I hope this helps!
Caroline
4 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:48AM
Jayme H.
Thanks..but it's not my space...appreciate the thought though!
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 6:50AM
smithlinc
Not a designer, but what about a wallpaper on the wall behind the headboard? Perhaps then the headboard (that is new and that the owner loves) won't be right against the Tiffany blue (that the owner loves) and might then work? Wallpaper is less expensive than new flooring and new furniture and might help to marry some of the colors. Again, I am not a designer so I am very interested to see what those of you who are think of the wallpaper idea? Would love to learn if/if not this would work.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:58AM
Christine
The colors are actually pretty in sync. My advice would be to paint the brown wood doors white or glossy black. Spread the bed keeping the white duvet you have there but folding the fur throw nicely down at the bottom of the bed and then adding some oversized pillows and a small bolster for the bed in a third color. Then consider a large area rug for under the bed (something in a trellis pattern in a gray that matches the headboard and bring some uniformity to the bed by putting in a second nightstand and then you need the scale to match so I would find 2 much taller lamps that are in a bolder shape to go on the bedside tables. Since you have a mitsubishi ac, you should get rid of the ceiling fan and drop a crystal chandelier over the bed.

As for the bathroom area, you need to glam it up. Get a small white leather or white linen slipper chair and put a large basket of towels in the room. Warm it up by having another basket filled with books and magazines. Get a console table (in lucite) to put some decanters and lotions and cottonballs in a jar on it. Those types of things. Then pick out some re-positionable wall paper and jazz up the panels of that wood wall. Get a large italianate mirror and put that over the long wall where the tub is and then put a large fluffly area rug by the tub. and maybe you want to add a touch of kitch and by a dress dummy to hang your robe on or go to restoration hardware and get some chrome and glass hooks. Then the whole place needs art.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 7:13AM
smithlinc
Whether you paint or not, change the headboard, etc., I would consider painting the doors in your bedroom white or staining them to match the beautiful sliding door on the bathroom. From the pictures it seems that, in addition to the two blues, you have a lot of different wood tones competing with one another.
I think your room has great potential--you're almost there! Lots of good advice has been given and I will just bet that you will find the way to make everything work together. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 7:16AM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
Jayme: sorry about your experience at the paint store. I used to teach interior design and because I know how overwhelming it can be looking at all those shades and tints I am currently writing a book about color in interior design. There is a definite order to the organization of a paint companies color chips and once you are aware of it you can match it to your mood or theme. But first you have to determine your theme or "story". Want to play with it? I can help
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 8:18AM
Jayme H.
Thank you Gloria! So sweet of you to offer!! What I found at this particular store yest. was that much of the marketing was aimed at somewhat trendy colors...there were a lot of lovely colors..but I had to work to find what I wanted....to the average person, this can be difficult. I did get the shade I wanted..and it looks nice, and I am pleased. Your book sounds wonderful!!
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:24AM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
So glad it came out well. You seem pretty sure of what pleases you and that's the most important thing.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:45AM
PRO
Gloria Jaroff, A.I.A.
What color(s) did you decide on?
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:29AM
Ramona
I think that this is the sort of color problem that is really hard to do via computer screen. The cheapest solution is paint. Trying to find the right linens etc. is going to be hit or miss, but you might just do it. Do paint the bedroom door white though. I think your headboard is beautiful and should not be covered up. I see exactly how you got into this predicament. Changing the floor color is not an option, finding the right rug is an expensive option. Maybe you could glaze over this color with a metallic silver??? That might be easier than repainting the base color. When I look at the examples below, I think the answer is adding silver and white in the right doses.

[houzz=Master Bedroom #1]

[houzz=Sask Cres Dining Room]
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 10:59AM