Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with living room
mlille22
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello,
We just ordered these West Elm Scribble Window Panels (feather gray) along with the West Elm Andalusia Dhurrie - Feather Gray rug. I love them both, but they feel too busy together. Any suggestions on swaps for either the curtains or the rug??
Any help is much appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
alefantee
Definitely take one pattern away (either the rug or the drapes). That is all I would do, the rest looks great! Great job!
January 30, 2013 at 5:55pm     
judianna20
Drapes are too short. Try a solid color.

January 30, 2013 at 5:58pm     
meatpie
What about using a drapery holdback so you don't see as much of the pattern in the drapes? Do you need to keep them closed for privacy? I think if you add an ottoman/coffee table and some fun pillows it will pull it together. I like the rug and curtains together. Finally, can you get a longer length so the drapes hit the floor? Great job. I LOVE the mantel!!
January 30, 2013 at 5:58pm     
mlille22
We bought new hardware, including tie backs - so if we are keeping the curtains we will lower them and can use the tie backs (we also just bought blinds for coverage). Thanks for your help!! I'm still not completely in love with the 2 patterns together but maybe they will grow on me :-)
January 30, 2013 at 6:03pm   
patriciarhall
rug is fab, drapes need a change
January 30, 2013 at 6:03pm     
PRO
Staged for Perfection
Get a coffee table. Add some pillows and either get longer curtains or if you can, drop the curtain rod down if it is way above the window. I like the idea of a holdback too.
January 30, 2013 at 6:11pm     
anitajoyce
I don't think the drapery or the rug fit the space. The drapes are too short and busy andthe rug could use a different pattern and deeper color.. How about removing the drapes altogether. Just add plantation shutters or blinds to the windows. .And a rug with a light and dark grey pattern. Pillows with Grey, Green or rust accent would be a nice color to add also.
January 30, 2013 at 6:12pm     
Amy Mitchell_Stevenson
I would use a soild curtain because. Those are nice but it takes away the focus of the fire place.
January 30, 2013 at 6:13pm     
mlille22
Thanks for the comment! I found these on Pottery Barn...I just want to be sure they don't darken the room too much. What do you think?
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/emery-linen-pole-pocket-drape/?lineid=3&cm_src=E:window-coverings-by-style||FN-Color-_-FN-Gray-_--_-#viewLargerSubsetOverlay
January 30, 2013 at 6:14pm   
Amy Mitchell_Stevenson
Love the rug .
January 30, 2013 at 6:15pm     
libunium
Add a band of solid color to the bottom of the drapes. Match to the darkest color in the drapes. It will break up the patterns. You could also frame the panels in the same color. It's probably the cheapest.
January 30, 2013 at 6:25pm   
PRO
Staged for Perfection
Did you want that blue colour? or a grey? The one in the pottery barn link.
January 30, 2013 at 6:25pm   
tabbie149
I would take away the rug a use a solid color rug. use long curtain. Get a coffee table to put in front of the couch. Then use a wider mirror for the fireplace. Add colorful pillows for the sofa
January 30, 2013 at 6:47pm   
Bonnie
The rug and curtains together are toooo busy! And the curtains are too short-- so maybe return those and get another curtain.
January 30, 2013 at 6:49pm     
ltlmissamerica
I feel the rug is way too over powering for the room in terms of size. I would trade that for a smaller, neutral colored rug perhaps with some texture. And I would also lower the curtains. Why not shades instead if you aren't committed to the curtains?
January 30, 2013 at 8:04pm   
wendypenne
What about ottomans (with or without storage) or something similar in front of the curtains. They would be functional as well as break up the pattern. I do like both the curtains and the rug.
January 30, 2013 at 8:16pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
what about taking away the drapes and use another pair of drapes?
January 31, 2013 at 12:29am   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I LOVE the rug I would definitely keep it . However the drapery it a bit busy for the space I think solid panels would work alot better . I would also recommend that the drapery should come to the floor and the rod should be mounted just 6'' above the window frame.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
January 31, 2013 at 6:55am   
Jean Tuck
Wonderful job but your right to change out either rug to plain and keep drapes or rug to plain and keep drapes, And the knob pulls to hold curtain back in the day.
January 31, 2013 at 7:11am   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Like you need another opinion!!!!!....................................
The drapes are OK but need to be tied back. Replace the rug with a new one with more colors. The new rug should be smaller too. Be sure your new rug includes Gray, White, and Brown and one additional color to add some life. Green is a good color with what you already have in the room. If the sofa must stay, add two or three pillows. These can be graphic designs like your drapery. The mirror should be replaced. If this is not possible then paint the frame
January 31, 2013 at 7:35am     
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
The carpet in the photo is not the exact piece I'd choose but it indicates the idea. Plush Tibetan style rugs in subtle stripes (called Arbrush) are easy to find. Check out Summit Rug online. Also Restoration Hardware and others like them have the type of rug I'm talking about. The dilemma you're in is the dark brown sofa and cabinet don't play well with two-tone geometrics in light colors. The two things need to be tied together.
January 31, 2013 at 7:41am     
pms658
If ya lower the drapes to the floor, a little puddle would be great. You can add a cornice to the top. A dark floor under the rug would be better. Change the wall color to something a bit brighter like yellow or golden yellow, light orange, lite blue, light turquoise. Throw some bright pillows on the couch. Trust me it will look beautiful!!
January 31, 2013 at 7:56am   
printesa
I would keep the rug. The drapes are a bit too busy and too short. You can get drapes that have some brown in them so you can balance the room. You have the the big dark furniture on each side of the room and the mirror above the fireplace. I think that some drapes that have some brown would go great. Good luck!
January 31, 2013 at 8:06am   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Your curtain panels are much much too short. They should just skim the floor. I like the height you have them, but you need to get longer panels if you can. And I feel the pattern is too busy if they will be shut a lot. I'd prefer a solid textured pattern with that rug.
January 31, 2013 at 8:11am   
More Discussions
We are attempting to update a panel bookcase with paint and new doors
We are attempting to update a panel bookcase with paint...
Main wall unit decorating
I'm having trouble deciding how to decorate this main...
need help with historic exterior home colors
I have a beautiful 1938 brick and stone home needing...
What will match with these chairs (and make it more modern)?
We have these 2 stools (painted the oak dark brown)....
Concrete Shower Pan vs Cultured Marble Shower Pan Plus Waterproofing
We have ripped out a corner shower built in a 1968...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.