Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Redoing my Traditional Living Room...
bkrnana6
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am redoing my Living Room, and want to focus decor around new rug that is on floor. know I need to get rid of some of furniture, and move things around. I would like it to have a nice elegant flare, but not overdone either. Any suggestions on what to do in this room?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Darzy
Can you show all four walls?
January 30, 2013 at 6:04pm     
katsesler
Slipcover the sofa in cream, paint the walls solid (are they ragged finish?). Or if it's wallpaper, you could keep it (but I know ragged, sponged finishes read as very dated).
You have a lot of light so I would stay with a light color on the walls. Maybe slipcover the wing chair also to match love seat. I would put a lamp on both sides of the sofa...add some lighting...I like to see all the corners lit, especially if you use the room in the evening. What about adding an ottoman? It is hard to see without more pictures but maybe this will give you some ideas. Lovely rug and lovely room. Good luck.
January 30, 2013 at 6:11pm     
judianna20
I'll go the other way to give you a comparison. How about red walls, and all the furniture the same light color, but all different textures?
Welcome to Warmth by B Fein Interiors
Red Pillow Covers, Red Greek Key by Pure Home Accents
January 30, 2013 at 6:16pm     
Judy M
Here's another idea

January 30, 2013 at 6:20pm     
brinkleysmom
Very nice and peaceful, but with punches of color!
January 30, 2013 at 6:35pm     
bkrnana6
Yes, my walls are rag painted, so I like thought of changing color. Also, ottoman idea and lighting in every corner.
January 30, 2013 at 6:40pm   
Darzy
Try moving the rug down and closer to the left corner of the room. Put the tall table/flower on the right of the loveseat. Use the end table/lamp on left of the loveseat. Then, put the wing chair where the right arm chair is. Float the two arm chairs facing the loveseat and put a small coffee table in front of the sofa.

I think a three seater sofa would look better in the space.
January 30, 2013 at 6:59pm     
Darzy
Oh...how about the wall color the same as your arm chairs? Butter yellow.
January 30, 2013 at 7:00pm     
Lkristine
Keep in mind, this is on the cost effective,( with exception to the rug link) kind of transitional side-----Keep your gold colored side chairs, consider slipcovers for the wingback chair and loveseat, paint the walls a solid color that compliments and update the rug, then go after some accessories that compliment a new look! http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Royal-Diamond-Stretch-Wing-Chair-Slipcover/3830597/product.html Loveseat idea, http://www.target.com/p/sure-fit-stretch-metro-slipcovers/-/A-14332276#prodSlot=medium_1_23&term=loveseat+slipcover Area rug idea, http://www.wayfair.com/Chandra-Rugs-Amy-Butler-Multicolored-Floral-Rug-AMY13202-CUG8416.html
January 30, 2013 at 7:03pm     
PRO
Home Preppers
I like the ideas from Katsesler above. Also shift the rug over toward the window. The mirror is a little bit high.
January 30, 2013 at 7:04pm     
bkrnana6
Thank you for your suggestions. My Living Room is right off of Entry Room as you enter my home. I am just trying to update and pull together for a nicer Traditional elegant look.
January 30, 2013 at 7:04pm   
bkrnana6
I just purchased the rug,I have the same rug in my dining room. What color paint are you recommending? And, also what color of slipcovers?
January 30, 2013 at 7:11pm   
Tracy Taylor
Do any of these ideas speak to you?
January 30, 2013 at 7:35pm     
bkrnana6
Not sure about the red walls, think a lighter wall would be better. The paint on walls now is Benjamin Moore Alpaca with a color wash over it. I like idea of updating to a solid lighter wall. I have a few more cherry end tables that I pulled out of room. I like idea of lighting in each corner, as well as slipcovering loveseat and wingback. Just trying to pull together better, may also need to loose mirror and change to another accesory above loveseat?
January 30, 2013 at 7:47pm     
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Here's the room in a soft taupy green it's a nice compliment to the red.
January 30, 2013 at 7:50pm     
PRO
Here is the room with a soft red on the walls and the green on the furniture and draperies.
January 30, 2013 at 7:53pm     
bkrnana6
Are you suggesting I recover loveseat and wing back? I also have a few more end tables that were not in room that I can bring back in to put on either side of loveseat. And if I do put end tables with lamps on either side of loveseat, can I still keep side chairs as is with table between them and lamp?
January 30, 2013 at 7:56pm     
bkrnana6
Carolyn, I like differant options you are giving, Thank you!
January 30, 2013 at 7:59pm   
PRO
This is your room with soft cream walls. They all work, it's really a matter of what speaks to you.
It would look nicer with a nice grouping of pictures over the sofa in place of the mirror.
January 30, 2013 at 8:02pm     
PRO
let's see if it loads this time
January 30, 2013 at 8:04pm     
PRO
You are welcome! They are quick and rough, but could help you with visualization. Tracy's images are beautiful and should help you visualize how to do your artwork and accessories. Good luck.
January 30, 2013 at 8:05pm     
bkrnana6
Yes, I think I like the cream walls, and print colors you have for fabrics. I will play around with tables and lighting in all corners as recommended above by katsesler.
January 30, 2013 at 8:12pm   
bkrnana6
Also, like the thought of nice grouping of pictures.... Thanks!
January 30, 2013 at 8:16pm   
PRO
It depends on your budget and how good your furniture is. Here in Canada it's actually as expensive to reupholster as it is to purchase new, however you may not end up with the same quality in terms of frames etc. Another factor is your budget, if slip covers are in the range there are many nice ones to choose from if you can affort new or reupholstery you would have many more choices in fabric and style. If you are going to purchase new you could mix more transitional pieces in with your traditional pieces and have a very nice eclectic look in the end and something a but more current.

If you are having difficulty figuring out how to put it all together, make your selections and have everything there and then hire a local professional for a one - two hour consultation to help you fine tune the design so you don't make any costly mistakes.

Hope this helps.

C
January 30, 2013 at 8:16pm     
Rachel
That wall behind the couch deserves more pzazz than the small mirror. I would either get rid of the mirror or put it on a smaller wall or in a different room, and do something with that wall...

the grass thing is probably too out there...but it was just cool
January 30, 2013 at 8:26pm   
Rachel
otherwise, painting the walls and re-covering the couch and the wing back chair would do wonders. I like the other two chairs as is. Good luck!
January 30, 2013 at 8:28pm   
bkrnana6
Thank you, I am planning on taking mirror down and doing a grouping of pictures. Need next to check into fabrics for reupholstering possibly. Would you change or add to layout of furniture?
January 30, 2013 at 9:17pm   
bkrnana6
Carol, what do you mean by Transitional pieces?
January 30, 2013 at 9:18pm   
PRO
bkrnana6 in the room below, they have used traditional pieces with a bit more up-to-date lines and fabrics - if you google "transitional living rooms" or search Houzz for transitional living rooms you will see lots of examples of what I am talking about. Alot has to do with how comfortable you are with a little change.

If you reupholster your loveseat you could make the lines a little cleaner like the one attached. (Also, you could consider a sofa - the space seems to be generous) Using cleaner lines would make it more transitional - it's cleaner lined traditional. Consider moving the loveseat on to the rug with a sofa table behind it with some nice pieces, like larger candles, one of your lamps, books etc.

I've attached some more transitional looking pieces that you could mix in and some antique chairs that are upholstered in a more modern fabric to inspire you. Don't look at the colours, you would choose colours appropriate for your room.

My sense is that you want to keep it more "traditional" and if that's what you love then stick to it, but if you want to push yourself past your comfort zone just a bit then you could consider some of these options.

Also, the draperies are too short, they should be just at or on the floor depending on your preference.
January 31, 2013 at 4:41am     
PRO
More images, the leopard print above is used in conjunction with a very traditional chair. The chairs below are all antiques or traditional but have very funky fabrics on them. So if you were going with the creams then your fabrics could be like these prints but in creams.

Not sure if I'm helping you at all, but hope so.
January 31, 2013 at 4:44am     
PRO
Taking the cream scenario for example, these fabrics are more transitional but could work well in the space.
January 31, 2013 at 4:51am     
PRO
More
January 31, 2013 at 4:53am     
PRO
You can follow the same ideas with each of the different colour scenarios
January 31, 2013 at 4:54am     
PRO
Here are some accessories that could work
January 31, 2013 at 5:03am     
bkrnana6
Yes, I like all of the above!! If posted a few more pics of my room earlier in comments to get a better feel for all of walls.
I am going to think about painting my walls in solid Benjamin Moore "Alpaca" which is throughout rest of my house, but, without the colorwash ragging over it. I just sold the sofa, it seemed to take up too much space. I am all for trying some differant scenarios with furniture. And love the leopard chair that is shown... I could put at a small desk that is tucked in left corner that you don't see.
January 31, 2013 at 6:01am   
PRO
Glad you are "inspired" you go girl!!!
January 31, 2013 at 6:13am   
PRO
Here are some great cocktail tables, two transitional and one more traditional
January 31, 2013 at 6:18am     
Jean Tuck
i am happy with all furniture peices in this happy space, and wood floors, its all happy.
January 31, 2013 at 6:44am   
bkrnana6
I like the bottom left pic, also like that chippendale look.
January 31, 2013 at 6:45am   
Tracy Taylor
I think you could totally use a huge ottoman or a coffee table in the space. I love the little yellow chairs. While the layout isn't horrid I think if your swapped the loveseat with the chairs you may find you have room for a sofa. The Wing back would look great slip covered. I also think you need to address the window treatments. They are too short. They need to kiss the floor! Also I think if you did a heavier sheer and panels over top you can cheat the room and make the window feel larger to support a larger sofa...
January 31, 2013 at 12:58pm   
nononanna
I agree - this is a lovely big room and your furniture is a small for the space. The drapes should be longer, and more ample. You could either go with lots of color or the opposite - lighter and more serene.

The room could use some height, as well, Maybe a secretary or small bookcase to the left of the window? (There is something there now, but I can't tell what. If it's a desk or whatever, ignore this comment,)

Definitely bring in another end table, an a good sized coffee table. Maybe put the small table with or without flower arrangement by the wingchair, along with a floor lamp by the chair? I love the matching chairs, and they don't limit your color choices at all.
January 31, 2013 at 1:31pm   
bkrnana6
Thank you nononanna! Yes, there is a cherry desk with a chair in the corner left of window. I have 2 nice floor lamps that I could try by the wing chair. The matching chairs are wonderful, they were my Grandmothers from many, many years ago. I am trying to decide on which way to go with Loveseat, either light color or drastic with possibly a burnt red..... I have taken mirror down, looking at paint colors
January 31, 2013 at 5:46pm   
bkrnana6
Thanks Tracey! Ok, so you think I should switch 2 chairs and table that is between it with putting the Loveseat in front of window? Look for a coffee table and yes lower curtains (my husband hung these!!)
January 31, 2013 at 5:57pm     
PRO
Budget Blinds
Your room could be amazing with roman shades and drapes. http://www.budgetblinds.com
January 31, 2013 at 10:33pm   
nononanna
But if you put the loveseat in front of the window, that leaves the largest wall with the smallest things in front of it. Personally I think the arrangement is fine the way it is. If itsn't too much of a problem in fron of the french doors, you could even put another chair at that end of the loveseat as well.
February 1, 2013 at 3:57pm     
Tracy Taylor
Yes place the loveseat or sofa in front of the window. If you cheat the curtains hang a heavier sheer behind the curtain and a longer rod to make the window look bigger...
February 11, 2013 at 6:58pm   
bkrnana6
Yes, thanks Tracey! I am working on the curtains... will update pics soon.
February 11, 2013 at 7:04pm     
bkrnana6
New sofa in soft gold has been ordered.... As well as cherry curio cabinet for front right corner. Wing chair is being reupholsterd in a complimentary stripe. Working on wall art.....for behind new sofa.
February 19, 2013 at 7:02pm     
Tracy Taylor
I still think you ought to try moving the sofa in front of the window... doesn't hurt to try and live with it for a few days. Might make the room feel more open... and what a wonderful view walking into the room a new sofa flanked by draperies and great light.
February 22, 2013 at 1:58am   
nononanna
The floor plan in the picture above has nothing to do with the one she's dealing with here.
February 22, 2013 at 9:16am   
bkrnana6
Yes, thanks Tracey , I have moved sofa in front of window. Then chairs where sofa was.
Waiting on a great portrait I found in Uttermost to put on wall.
February 22, 2013 at 12:02pm   
More Discussions
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Window treatments for arched windows
Wondering if I should add panels to these windows or...
Living room kitchen position
Dear all I need quick advise from pros... We are...
Can you help? SUGGESTIONS FOR BARE WALL -STUMPED!
I'm STUMPED as to how I should decorate this bare wall....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.