Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room help!
jody01
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Room is 24 by 13. white carpet, which has to go. Radiant heat flooring. Any thoughts on having the concrete polished. Love modern look. South facing room. The room would border hardwood. Would the concrete look out of place.Should I consider removing the wood?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I like the wood flooring and also like the idea of removing the white carpet. I don't understand where the concrete is (or would be?).
January 30, 2013 at 6:21pm   
jody01
The concrete is under the carpet. I was thinking of having it polished.
January 30, 2013 at 6:39pm   
jaugustadt
Like the concrete idea works best with radiant heat. However the baseboards in that room are very narrow and would ruin the look unless u cam elimate them or install much wider ones at least 5 inches
January 30, 2013 at 6:45pm   
Darzy
I like the entire floor space to flow together. So, if you want polished concrete (and that looks nice and very modern) I'd remove the wood and do it all polished concrete.

January 30, 2013 at 6:48pm   
jody01
yes, I do have radiant heat, and changing the baseboards is not a problem. I haven't seen wood floor beside concrete so I'm a bit nervous.
January 30, 2013 at 6:54pm   
jody01
i posted this other picture so you could see the flow into the kitchen area. Funny you should post that picture, I just purchased a saarinen tulip table!
January 30, 2013 at 6:57pm   
Darzy
This looks likes stairs? Is this wood area above the carpet area or on one level? Cool! Love that tulip table! I agree that wood (traditional looking wood) would look odd next to polished concrete. Travertine next to wood may work ok.
January 30, 2013 at 7:04pm   
designideas4me
looks like a nice house. Most likely u need a concrete overlay to cover carpet tack strip holes like I have. There are pics here on house of both wood and concrete on the same level. I spoke to some of those designer and they said u have to bring the floor up to match the level of the wood. Do you live in a cold climate area ? Is that why you need heat under the floor?
January 30, 2013 at 7:08pm   
jody01
These are stairs going down to walkout basement. The carpeted area is on the main level of a two story home. I live in Canada, and yes it can get pretty darn cold! I've lived here for two years and am really overwhelmed with the scale of the house.
January 30, 2013 at 7:18pm   
More Discussions
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
help for choossing a chimney frame
This is the pkace it is gonna be placed
Living room lighting
Hello there! I am trying to figure out the best way...
Design challenge, planning around weight bearing walls.
Just purchased a new home and looking to redo the current...
HELP on side tables...
So, I finally decided on a coffee table and now my...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.