Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help in decorating the living room
sdidea
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a very open living room with kitchen and eating area. the living room is 17.5 by 22ft. has a fireplace and we would not like to put the TV on FP so made a different place for it. I would like to decorate our living room to make it look pretty and spacious. I have attached pics from every angle. the entry is beside the TV and the book shelve i.e. where a bit of the palm tree is shown. Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
sdidea
Adding more pics if it help any. this pics shows the entry.
January 31, 2013 at 6:23AM   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Can the sofa across from your tv be pushed up against the wall?
January 31, 2013 at 6:52AM     
sdidea
I can do that! Thanks! what else should i be doing? I really need serious help in redoing the decor.
January 31, 2013 at 12:59PM   
cam27525
This room is really beautiful with the trey ceilings! So much potential! What about adding drapes on the windows? Maybe a cream color, that are hung high (almost to the ceiling)?

Also, it appears that your built ins are the same color as the walls? Can they be painted white so they stand out? (Also paint the mantel white the same color as your trim). Or, for a more rustic look, you could stain them a darker color.

I'm sorry but your tube television has got to go! If you are on a budget, you could look on craigslist for an old buffet, dresser or stereo cabinet that is long to mount a new flatscreen tv above (I got mine for $10!) This should be used as your media console.

I would also get a chunkier more substantial coffee table and bring out the blue color in the rug. I would also place the picture on the left in the middle of the middle and lose the picture on the right. You could use that picture on a gallery wall dedicated to family pictures.

I've attached some inspiration pictures. The last one has the colors in your rug. You definitely need to add some throw pillows in as well.
January 31, 2013 at 1:26PM     
sdidea
Thanks for the ideas! Yes the TV will go we just built the house so i shall need to wait a little bit. About painting them white, i really like that but just have the house barely 2 months but will eventually paint it white. I have some throw pillow. let me do some updates and post another pic. Really appreciate the help so far!
January 31, 2013 at 1:37PM   
nononanna
Cam above is so right - the room is great, you just need to make something of the spot in which you put your television so that it looks like it is there on purpose. A good looking chest or console with something high on it and the television above it is perfect.

I think it would be good to have and tables with a lamp on it, but you might not feel you need the light.
January 31, 2013 at 1:42PM     
tennisanyone
The room is beautiful. When you get a new tv, I would remove a shelf or two in the big part of the wall unit and put the tv in there. on an arm so you can pull it out or tuck in back in when not in use. Then I would put the couch facing the new tv.fireplace and the love seat on the right or left. I would have to see. Add drapes to the window to warm up the space too. Get one horizontal picture for over the fireplace and remove that chest in the corner.
January 31, 2013 at 1:50PM     
movethisnotthat
if the TV were in the wall unit as stated above you could face the couch toward the windows so you wouldn't see your sitting area from the front door, thus getting 3 views for the price of one, FB,TV and outside, have your tried that ??? Nice house !!! :)
January 31, 2013 at 1:59PM     
sdidea
Thanks All for the comments above!!!! I shall make some changes tonight and post a couple of picture. I might as well use the chest in the corner for my current TV until we get a new one :(. About the window drapes we were thinking woven/bamboo. I have some long sleek wall art also to go on those window walls. Let me get this all organized.
Thanks soooooooo much for all the help so far! I truly appreciate it!
January 31, 2013 at 2:18PM   
Jayme H.
Your room is very nice! Your rug is sort of busy though-not enough light in in it. I am also wondering if something other than brown tables...there is not a lot of contrast in the fireplace/mantle. A darker or lighter mantle maybe? Wondering if painting the built ins and mantle white would be an improvement?
January 31, 2013 at 2:22PM     
rod handler
What's with the ceiling? What were they thinking? Paint it all one color and dump the fan.
The kitchen needs hiding. I'd build out the wall and put it one wide doorway, maybe with double doors.
What's going on with the 3 narrow windows next to the front door? They make the room look creepy. Is there a patio or a porch out there? Consider getting rid of the door and windows and installing french doors in their place.
January 31, 2013 at 2:29PM   
Jayme H.
Thoughts
January 31, 2013 at 2:33PM     
Jayme H.
One more
January 31, 2013 at 2:39PM     
sdidea
Thanks!! Like those pics above, they really help! looks like i have to paint the book shelves white.
The front door is not seen. it is on the other-side of the four windows, those 4 windows look out to a porch/outdoor kitchen and a fountain, it is at the back of the house. The ceiling is all painted same color- kilim beige. Maybe the lighting, that makes it look different colors.
About the drapes... i was wonder do i have sheers/ thick drapes? Do i do woven wood and drapes? what would be best.
January 31, 2013 at 2:52PM     
caromck
maybe adding a rich leather, ottoman as your coffee table, rather than the wood, would add character. something along these lines -- http://www.hancockandmoore.com/product.asp?productid=1528

also, adding some pretty lamps would help. Check sites like www.onekingslane.com for good deals on lamps.
January 31, 2013 at 2:59PM     
caromck
lamps on end tables
January 31, 2013 at 3:00PM     
mrsmckay
I agree make you built ins a pop of color maybe the same red as your couch? Also the love seat really closes off the space I would do a couple of wingback chairs of a color that coordinates maybe choose one from your rug... Def need some dressing on the windows possible panels with a really pretty scarf that also tie in to your accent colors as far as the mantle I would go with either one large print with collections of bases or candle pillar candles in varying heights or a collection of smaller pictures in color coordinating frames all together this is a beautiful space and you should def embrace the open floor plan and bring the colors into the adjacent spaces to give the whole area a warm cohesive feel
January 31, 2013 at 5:17PM     
PRO
Welcome Home designs

I like the idea of bamboo shades for your windows.
February 1, 2013 at 12:39AM     
sdidea
I'm still trying to update as per the above suggestions. Thanks for all the help!!! Any idea how we could transform the coffee table to a chunky coffee table match the decor as suggested by Cam?
February 2, 2013 at 8:48PM   
sdidea
I have made few changes as per the suggestion above but would like to complete some before uploading a pic. I'm uploading the floor planof the living room/kitchen/dinning and need BIG help how to arrange the sofa and the love seat etc. We are getting a media console but will be here mid April. Also have the paint ready to get the mantel and bookshelves painted to white/the trim color. I have drapes but not hung them. Please help! And Thank you so very much!
March 23, 2013 at 2:31PM   
sdidea
Oops! here is another try of the floor plan. this did not work well either. the entry is thru the front right door, the fireplace is seen from the front door. Please let me know if this pic helps. thank you!
March 23, 2013 at 2:33PM   
sdidea
final try to upload the floorplan
March 23, 2013 at 3:02PM   
sdidea
Any suggestions to rearrange the furniture please!!!
March 24, 2013 at 8:12AM   
sdidea
couple of pics with some upgrade. We'll paint the mantel and bookshelves white. have plans to buy a flat screen in few months. would you like us to change the rug. i put a sofa cover, is that better or should i let it burgundy.
May 13, 2013 at 6:47AM   
sdidea
Oops! Pictures... The entry is besides the tv and the big bookshelves. Thank you so much for any help!
May 13, 2013 at 6:50AM   
brody1313
I love the soft colors of your walls and woodwork.....for me the dark rug needs to go, too busy and too dark....I would opt for a solid cream colored shag that would let the sofas pop and not detract. (Home Goods $300)....then add artwork over the mantle that pulls in the burgandy sofa color.....like the one you show but the reds do not work............c'an't tell if their is a small round table between sofas, would add a large fat lamp there, deleting floor lamp...I like sofa throws that blend in w/the sofas and not detract.......just giving your room a nice clean look to blend in with your walls.........then bring in some burgandy coloor into book shelves. and accents........good luck
May 13, 2013 at 7:01AM     
brody1313
Just saw the sofa color.......absolutely no for me.......love the all burgandy
May 13, 2013 at 7:04AM     
sdidea
Thanks brody1313!
May 13, 2013 at 7:51PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
I love your home! It's Beautiful! I love everything about it. You asked that I make a comment.
The furniture arrangement that you started with is what I think you need to go back to. The fireplace is the focal point of this room. Everything should be lined up and centered to the center of the fireplace. In such a large room, the room looks best when the furniture is tighter and pulled toward the center of wherever the fireplace is constructed.
- Start with the 'same layout' you had at the onset. That looks almost perfect.
- The rug looks centered to the fireplace
- Create the L-shape sofas so that there is the same amount of ... 'rug' left over space ... on each sofa side.
- Place the coffee table (I suggest a large round ottoman or glass top table)
- I would like a lighter rug to contrast with the sofas. A pattern that is exciting and shows movement
- Place a console table behind the loveseat sofa.
- End table at the corner of the L-shape sofas. Add a lamp (bring the end tables forward where the sofa arms and the table fronts are almost one continuous plane) You want to easily be able to set a drink on it. It should not be behind you.
- Mantle candlesticks are fine. Painting doesn't seem to work there. Find one that introduces some additional new colors to the room. A large sculpure or vase on the left of an artwork.

I'm anxious to see the mantle and bookcases painted white as others suggested. I see you have a TV console that works better. I wouldn't change the sofas unless you can afford to. You can make this room look great.
May 16, 2013 at 8:29PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
P.S. Love the choice of sheer drapes. Almost forgot - the tray ceiling is wonderful!
May 16, 2013 at 8:33PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Another thought, don't really want you to spend more but, later, maybe add some burgundy drapes on outside of the set of windows plus one panel at each wall between. It would be nice to bring some rich color to the windows also, with the ivory/white drapes in the middle. ... May want opaque burgundy. Sheers are hard to find, saw some on ebay.
May 16, 2013 at 10:13PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Here's a rug. You can add some blue, aqua, beige, or gold pillows to the sofas. example
May 16, 2013 at 11:28PM     
sdidea
Thank you so much LB Interiors!!! I soooo appreciate your comments! This website is so useful to me.

Words can't express my THANKS to ALL those who have commented above!!!!
Yes I shall get started with all the changes this weekend but might take longer to get all done. But will post pictures gradually!
May 17, 2013 at 6:07AM     
timber2004
What a gorgeous room/home you have...congratulations! It sure seems that doggie is very happy!!! I would definitely keep to the original furniture arrangement. I love the contrast of your dark pieces and light walls and rug. Perhaps the area rug draws too much attention to itself??? The fireplace is so beautiful and needs to be the focal point. Cheers to you for not placing your soon-to-be flat screen above it.
May 17, 2013 at 7:06AM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks so much, sdidea.
May 17, 2013 at 11:20AM