powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Desperately need help choosing a color for our foyer!
Linda Bibbo
January 30, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our foyer is an open foyer with a 21 foot ceiling. Right now it is painted an aqua-sea-greenish color. In the past couple of years, we put hardwood floors throughout the whole first floor and I changed both the decor in the two rooms that open off of the foyer. On one side, with a double door width opening, is our living room with the predominate color being yellow. On the other side is our dining room with the predominate color being red (in the photo I attached of the dining room, you can see the color of the foyer through the open doorway). I really don't know what color to re-paint the foyer because of these two colors! I have to add that I am not afraid of - and love - color. I design Christmas ornaments, so I tend to gravitate towards jewel tones - our family room - which opens off of the living room - is painted a pine green color.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centaurita
I love color too and I almost cried when I had to paint my red, orange and yellow walls back to beige when we put it on the market! I love what you have done and your skill at matching different patterns is awesome.
What do you think of a pale muted green? Like in the back of this photo?
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 9:53PM
Darzy
I like it the way it is. ;)
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 9:59PM
megmegmeg
I might pick one color to eliminate and complement the other, ie: get rid of the green in order to paint the foyer to go with the red. There's no reason you can't choose a light blue for your foyer - it would look nice with the red. If I may suggest looking at the Benjamin Moore Affinity Color wheel at an Ace Hardware store (you can usually get the paint kid to give you the wheel for free), or pick up chips there, take it to Home Depot for color match samples for $3. The affinity colors are 140-some colors that all work together. I picked out paint for 3 adjoining rooms in about 2 minutes. It was that easy (and I normally struggle choosing paint color).
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 10:23PM
Jennifer Hogan
This is what I would use to blend the two rooms
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 10:30PM
Linda Bibbo
I never even thought of using a shade of blue - I will check that out. I just don't want someone to walk in the front door and feel like they are being pulled from all directions because of an explosion of colors. Once I do paint the walls, I will need to decide on an area rug. Since the area is almost square in shape, I am leaning towards an octagon, round or square shape.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 10:34AM
judianna20
BM PALLADIUM BLUE WOULD BE GREAT WITH BOTH THE YELLOW AND RED. I HAVE A BEDROOM WALL WHICH RUNS ALL THE WAY DOWN MY STAIRCASE INTO MY FRONT HALL. (HOUSE IS 1840) I NEEDED TO CHANGE THE COLOR AT THAT POINT AND I USED BM POTTERY RED ON THE OTHER WALL WITH ACADIA WHITE UNDER THE CHAIR RAIL. IT WAS A WINNING COMBO.
Palladian Blue Paint | Benjamin Moore
Ft. Worth Historical Residence
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 10:50AM
laursiedoone
How about picking out a shade of that coral colour from the armchair and scatter cushion that you have in the sitting room? It would tone with the red and create a visual link. It's also a lovely warm welcoming colour which I think would work well in your home which is already very inviting.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 11:12AM
Linda Bibbo
judyg, when I enlarged the color sample that you posted, it is almost the same exact shade of paint that is on the walls now, but maybe with more green than blue - or beige undertones? Maybe I should go with some shade of green.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:37AM
judianna20
Palladium is greener, but if you get a sample and hold it up to your hall paint you will be very surprised at the difference. Try it :>)
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 11:17AM
Jennifer Hogan
The problem with the blue green that you have is the balance between the red and the yellow - your primary colors are red/blue/yellow.

This will be bold.

If you want something more subdued go with the slightly yellow toned greens.

Try Devine Green Tea and Devine Jacquard. I think these will give you a more subdued feeling as you come in and allow the two main rooms to stand out, but are not so neutral as to go dead against your more bold flavors. (8x11 painted pages are $2.29) Take the sheets and play with them in both the red and the yellow rooms.
http://www.devinecolor.com/devine/colorcollections/trend-proof.jsp
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 7:15PM
PRO
NexTrend Design
Good suggestion Jennifer! If it was my space, I'd choose a deeper version of the warm golden-yellow in the living room to put in the entrance. Then add some hits of red with art & accessories to tie the red & yellow rooms together. Jennifer's colors above would be great in accessories, cushions, upholstery, etc. to pull throughout the home to create a coordinated flow.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 7:47PM
Tammy Sprinkle
Your living room is lovely. I love how bright and cheerful it is and the color combinations and patterns you chose fit so nicely together. I would pick up the green from the striped chair/throw pillow and the green drapes in the dining room. Find a green that marries those items and you should be good to go.
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:09PM
centaurita
No likes here so far :(
-- edit --- I just 'liked'
Tammy Sprinkle's post !
The natural color to blend between yellows and reds is oranges, but without changing a bunch of your accessories, I still believe you should go with a nice subdued green. Green is directly adjacent to Red on the color wheel and right next to Yellow. It should work, in the right shade and hue.
You shouldn't think of a traffic light, instead think about nature.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 8:41PM
Linda Bibbo
I am so sorry I have not commented or liked!!! - I have not been on the computer at all the last few days. I love all the suggestions! I am leaning towards some type of muted light green, I think, as I really don't think I could go wrong with that. It would also be a great welcoming color as you walk in the front door. And thank you for the compliments on my living room - I love my yellow room - I had so much fun putting everything together! I think that sometimes a person knows what they want to do when it comes to decorating, but just need that push or suggestion to make them go for it! Thank you!
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:57AM
Linda Bibbo
And Jennifer, thanks for the Divine Color link - That is really a great link! Who would of though that there were so many different tones of greens?
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 11:02AM