powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help me choose perfect exterior colors for my new house!
jeff_the_chef
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just bought this house and want to pick the perfect exterior colors to turn it into a jewel box. The fixed items are the roof shingles that are silver/light grey and the window frames which are bronze/black.

My thoughts are to go darker in the Taupe, Mocha or maybe Grey range. With some creme trim and the garage door and entry doors in Mahogany. (the entry door is Mahogany but needs to be stripped and stained and the garage can be faux painted to match)

The house is small but has great landscaping. I want the house to real designer / custom / classy, like a little jewel box. Let me know what you think.

There are too many places to to add the creme. There is a line around the roof that can be painted and the window sills. As well as the caps on the wall and the chimney. Do you think I should add a frame around the garage door and paint that creme also?

I have attached a photo but if you want it larger you can check it out on Google: 708 El Dorado Pkwy W, 33914

Thanks in advance for your input and ideas!

Jeff
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Hello- Off the top of my head, I think you could do with some elements of timber here and there.....perhaps a timber garage door and decking timber leading up to your front door. I really like the color of the front door but I'm wondering if that could be stripped back to reveal the timber underneath. Otherwise it's very nice as is.Wall colors: I think you're on the right track which a warm grey of a mid tone.
January 31, 2013 at 4:59am     
jeff_the_chef
Thanks for the input Annie! I agree. That is why I was thinking of having the front door (which IS wood) stripped and stained Mahogany and the garage door (which is metal) faux painted to look like its mahogany. When I can afford it I will buy an actual REAL mahogany garage door.
January 31, 2013 at 5:16am     
jeff_the_chef
Ok, after looking at 1000's of photos I have narrowed down to two. Bear in mind that the front of the house faces north and is in the shade most all day. Check out these two and let me know your thoughts. The pallete on the one with the fireplace I really like or possibly the body color of the second photos with the Buff. Doors could be mahogany or front door only mahogany and hte garage door painted the darker green/grey shade.

Jeff
February 1, 2013 at 1:34am     
jeff_the_chef
Here is the second option for the body color, using the same BUFF for the trim:

February 1, 2013 at 1:45am   
Frances Shears
OHH LORD....CALL THE ME FRUIT CAKE LADY of I don't know what im talking about with design....BUT....I LOVE THE colors! If it were MY HOUSE...and OHH how I would LOVE A HOUSE WITH PALM TREES...I would paint the garage door with a dark charcoal almost black...then I would add matching "exterior plantation shutters" that extend OUT from your windows! I would replace those lanterns on the walkway with gas laterns, and I would replace your double front doors with Traditional glass BLACK front doors! NOT BEVELED with design! 4 Panel Glass front doors! I would also cut down the palm in front of the front door so you could see the richness but still coastal cool design of the house! Then I would go all along the front of the flower beds and plant white impatients! or whatever white blooming flower is available to you at this time!.....get a simple but rich black rougtiron mail box...and then put it on the market.....I WILL BUY!!! :-) Have fun!
February 1, 2013 at 2:22am   
Frances Shears
wait...maybe not black but a "light chocolate" like a teak!....
February 1, 2013 at 2:24am   
Frances Shears
I cant spell it late...or early! sorry!
February 1, 2013 at 2:25am   
Frances Shears
I typed before I read! Strike the "shutters" sound like its dark enough as it is! I would then maybe go with a darker grey on the stucco..and PERSONALLY...several "shades of grey" lighter on the GLASS door and garage door! I would however do black gas lanterns...paint the caps of the stucco wall ends...BUT I would STILL keep it clean and whit all bordering the beds! I would match the mailbox with the garage door and the front door! i STILL LOVE GAS LANTERNS!! Oh....and I would probably stain the concrete walk to match as well! (I may have NO TASTE)!!!! haha! LOVE YOUR HOUSE BTW!!!
February 1, 2013 at 2:35am   
jeff_the_chef
LOL! Thanks Michael. You know I LOVE gas lanterns too! I don't know if its possible because this is Florida and they are all electric pretty much, but i was fantasizing about topping those posts with a stainless bowl filled with glass and then then a live gas flame! A flaming bowl! I saw this done on a large scale at a sushi restaurant in Phoenix and it looked way cool! I like your glass door idea too, you mean like one large frosted panel with a charcoal frame right? That would look cool, with stainless hardware! Thanks for the input and kind words, I can't wait to start on the house!
February 1, 2013 at 2:53am   
jeff_the_chef
Well here is the color combination I finally went with....
February 24, 2013 at 2:55am     
PRO
ASVInteriors
Very elegant! Congratulations
February 24, 2013 at 2:59am   
jeff_the_chef
THANKS! I have a few finishing touches to add like plantings and a little bling. I will post the final result when I'm completely done.
February 24, 2013 at 3:40am