powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Can you help with furnishing the space off of our kitchen?
lslg4
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just moved in and we are working with a pretty clean slate trying to furnish it. This space is directly open to the kitchen and surrounded with 61/2 foot windows. The area is approx 11.5x12.5 feet so there is lots of room to do pretty much anything. We have a family dining room to the opposite end so no need for a table. I'd likely be a sitting area with a contemporary look but have no idea where to start or if the windows will get in the way as they are so low. Not sure about window treatments because I want the look to remain simple and not too heavy. The floors are all marble and id also like to warm it up as it looks a bit cold. As of now we just have our old computer and a chair sitting there and its driving me batty! lol Any ideas? Thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lslg4
Just to clarify.... Privacy isn't an issue as we have field and woods behind us. Also, I apologize for the typos in the original post. Tks!
January 31, 2013 at 8:03AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Could you give us two more pic looking to the family dining area and whatever is to the left of the kitchen? It is always good to see all directions even though we are only concentrating on one area. Thanks.
January 31, 2013 at 8:08AM   
PRO
Rustico Tile and Stone
To really warm up the room a bit, I would suggest looking at Saltillo Spanish Terracotta in the Manganese or Traditional finishes for the flooring throughout the space. Saltillo Tile really adds a touch of cultural beauty that everyone loves. It's versatile enough that it matches pretty much any interior style and decor, traditional to contemporary. At Rustico Tile and Stone, we offer affordable wholesale pricing and we ship all over the world. You can visit us at www.saltillotileconnection.com to get more visual ideas from our Installation galleries.
January 31, 2013 at 8:11AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
It is all hard surfaces and it needs softening. I would look for a rug for this area..quite large, maybe a pattern with colors..maybe a geometric with just 2 colors. Choose rug first it is harder to find one you like than any other item..let it set the tone and colors scheme for the area. What is the wall color and does it stay?
January 31, 2013 at 8:18AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I love your floor.
January 31, 2013 at 8:18AM     
lslg4
3rd pic is taken from kitchen looking to the living area. The sunroom is to the left.
January 31, 2013 at 10:04AM   
lslg4
Would only let me upload 4 pics t a time so here is some more....

1st pic- another angle of room
2nd pic- front entrance into living area
3rd pic-dining room opposite kitchen
January 31, 2013 at 10:08AM   
lslg4
Finally paint colors....
1st pic is living room Benjamin Moore Guesthouse #316
2nd pic is dining room Benjamin Moore Red Oxide #2088-10
3rd is the sunroom space and is Benjamin Moore Pernod #316
January 31, 2013 at 10:18AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
What great spaces you have. I am first going to comment on the living room area. I would change the rock on the wall to a painted (white trim color) brick and bring it all the way to the ceiling. Also in that room the cabinet under the TV needs to be more substantial..longer even higher. Also I would look for a large rug for this space and a complimentary one (or same but smaller) for the sitting area. I love the red cabinet behind the living room sofa, but it is too small..too short. It should be in a small place or short wall. Optional.. Because everything is squared and hard edged, I would suggest a faux Roman shade in a subtle stripe, to be hung at the ceiling and falling folds to the bottom trim of the transom portion of your windows.

In the sitting area, I would use a small sectional, to extend onto the left side of the room. (Don't forget the rug) Add a large stuffed chair (maybe chair & a half) with ottoman in the opposite corner angled into the room. A table & large lamp on each end of the sofa(s). 2 square glass (small(ish)) tables in front of the sofa against center section. Very small table for the chair area. Green plants, large pillows on the sofas.
January 31, 2013 at 10:37AM     
lslg4
Something like this?
Those are the dimensions. Not sure if that would be too small. I'm not used to buying larger sized furnishings!!
January 31, 2013 at 1:24PM   
kobley
Was the space originally designed to be an eating area off the kitchen? The light fixture makes me think so. First of all the space is very pretty and I like your floors. I also wouldn't go too contemporary because the house is so traditional. A sofa like the one in the above post facing the view would be nice. A low chair or ottoman or if you got the sofa without the lounge piece, i would have a small coffee table and 2 low chairs or ottomans. Don't cover your windows if you don't have to. I too have a water view and no window coverings just nice woodwork like you. Also get a light fixture that sits closer to the ceiling and a rug. You have a great house....lucky girl!
January 31, 2013 at 1:49PM   
lslg4
I think it was.... I didn't build it. I think it was meant for a casual table breakfast nook but I don't need another eating area.
January 31, 2013 at 3:01PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I like your BM Guesthouse for this entire area. Just more depth..richer. For the sectional, look for a sofa (3 seat) with a loveseat with left arm only. Something like this http://www.bassettfurniture.com/L-Shaped-Sectional-DZ28668.asp
January 31, 2013 at 3:17PM   
lslg4
Ok thanks!!!
February 4, 2013 at 12:29PM