Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with window & door treatment.
jaogden
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Redecorating my living room. Still need to paint the mantle but I need help with the window & door. Not sure how I feel about these blinds (getting a wider one for the door). Suggestions please. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
JMittman Designs
What are your needs? Do you need privacy? Not sure I understand what you mean about a wider shade for the door--can't really go much wider? What does the rest of the room look like?
Also, just an observation, your pretty mantle looks to be a little taken over with all the photo frames. Can you relocate?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:55AM
jaogden
No, we don't need privacy. I'm only concerned with creating a warm, layered look. Just going a few inches wider on the door blinds. The rest of the room has a dark brown leather sectional, vaulted ceiling, rustic pine tv hutch, vintage suitcases, vintage books, leopard Ballard ottoman, sisal rug, big carved wood lamps with burlap shades. The mantle is never that overloaded but I've got all my kids Valentines pics up right now :) So I'm trying to decide if I should remove the blinds, keep the blinds and add a curtain the the side, or add some kind of valance, or ? Thank you so much for your help!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:08AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
If you get a wider blind for the door it is going to run into the door knob when it is down. Pricey to get a custom cut out for that. Do you have room on the left of the door for curtains? Why not do a fabric roman shade on the door and curtain panels on the window? You could keep the woven shades too instead.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:17AM
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
I agree with JM you have a little to much happening over your mantel . Try removing them lean a large mirror o the top then place a few (not much) on the mantel . I like what you have on window, it is hard when you need to cover a door . You can put a nice roman blind in fabric.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:23AM
jaogden
Not worried about the mantle guys! I change it all the time & for the next two weeks its all about Valentines memories :)

There's not much room on the left, about a foot. I would really like to keep them symmetrical but maybe if I do a drape just on the right side of the window and leave the bamboo on both?
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 8:41AM
Jayme H.
You should see what just came down off my mantle from Christmas...wow..wouldn't DARE post it!! lol
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 8:48AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
A foot gives you plenty of room for a curtain panel on each side. Extend your curtain rod past the width of your window/door by 5-6 inches. This will give you the space you need to stack your panel there. Allow the panels to cover the outer edges of the frame on each side. I'd mount them at least 6 inches above your window frames.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 10:59AM