Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help me pick a BM yellow paint!
elw4797
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm repainting my kitchen to living room area. It has the dreaded orangey oak trim and cubords. Please help me pick a yellow that will lighten and freshen the space without pulling out the orangey tones of the woodwork.

Its not in the budget to paint the trim right now!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
elw4797
I was thinking something light yellow and almost white. Like BM Lemon Sorbet?
January 31, 2013 at 7:57am     
Aggie Purvinska
Yellow is lovely, but I don't think it will get rid of the orangey tones at all and may even clash with the flooring, your paint color is lovely, you could even go to a darker beige, You do need a new chandelier though, maybe an updated drum... and are those vertical blinds? Out with the blinds, in with a curtain or sliding panel:)

[houzz=Brandon Beige 977 by Benjamin Moore]

[houzz=Retro Honeycomb Drum Shade Pendant]
January 31, 2013 at 8:02am     
PRO
Design & Decor By Shelley
Could you please take another picture with the blinds open so we can see more natural light in this space..thanks..
January 31, 2013 at 8:11am   
elw4797
I'll take a new pic when baby is done nursing. Since taking this pic I have a new chandy and I'm trying to decide what to hang over the sliding glass door - I need light but a curtain pulled open doesn't offer privacy!
January 31, 2013 at 8:21am     
mamajd
We put Hemp Seed CC 578 in our kitchen and I really like it, I was set on a yellow kitchen too, but it just didn't work with our cupboards. Good luck ELW, it is difficult to choose the right colour, I did like the idea in one ideabook about buying a small can of paint and painting different areas in a room to see how the day light and evening affects the color in the room. Aggie I love the drum shade pendant!
January 31, 2013 at 8:29am   
sacapuntaslapioz
I would go instead for BM Wish AF-680 it is warm, light, and does wonders for yellows and beiges. looks crisp with whites and elegant with blacks, great with browns. A must-have
January 31, 2013 at 8:38am     
winterriver
For a warm but not in-your-face yellow consider BM HC-30, Philadelphia Cream. It looks great with my mother's similar oak cabinets.
January 31, 2013 at 8:42am     
PRO
Design & Decor By Shelley
I have attached a few pictures of colour for you..If you love the yellow be very careful with the tone of yellow..Your cabinets suggest a honey/gold tone..the colours I have attached will complement your cabinetry..Try introducing a blue into the yellow/gold colour scheme..The drum pendant from Aggie Designs is a perfect complement of colour.
I cannot see the tile colour clearly, is it a pinky beige or a yellow beige?
January 31, 2013 at 8:43am   
Jayme H.
No offense, but thinking I would stay away from yellows.
January 31, 2013 at 8:49am     
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
May I ask is the room next to it with the chair , what color is that and what color is your furniture.
If you want a nice flow you must take that into consideration.
January 31, 2013 at 8:49am     
elw4797
Kitchen pic
January 31, 2013 at 9:49am   
elw4797
Kitchen opens into living room
January 31, 2013 at 9:50am   
elw4797
Fireplace upclose
January 31, 2013 at 9:52am   
elw4797
Tile upclose
January 31, 2013 at 9:53am   
elw4797
New chandy over kitchen table
January 31, 2013 at 9:55am   
elw4797
Where the wall hits the trim then the white doors
January 31, 2013 at 9:57am   
elw4797
The fabric I adore on the kitchen chairs
January 31, 2013 at 10:01am   
elw4797
The neighboring room is BM summer shower.

http://m.benjaminmoore.com/paint-colors/color/summer-shower
January 31, 2013 at 10:05am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
The current color looks to mauve/pink. Stay away from yellows. The BM Brandon Beige is good, so is BM Wish, which is a little lighter. I would choose something more like "Wish" and paint the ceiling as well to make the room larger. Add a pattern onto your backsplash area, only if you are keeping your counter tops and if not, after you replace them. It can be a solid color, just a pattern. I would also paint the fireplace mantle and the cabinets & shelves beside it your trim color, hopefully it is white.
January 31, 2013 at 10:06am     
Jayme H.
I was thinking similar colors..I think it would tie everything together well
January 31, 2013 at 10:30am     
elw4797
I'm sorry these pictures are so bad...it's hard to get good light right now without a glare. There are no mauvey tones in the current paint color. It is actually similar to the color willow creek in the sample Jayme posted above.

I wanted to repaint because the room feels heavy and dark. So much brown sadness. I got talked into using a glossy paint since the walls extend into my kitchen and I dislike the shine.

To answer some questions, the woodwork is all honey oak. The tile is cream/beige. The fireplae is stacked travertine. The sofa and chair are dark brown leather. The wood furniture pieces don't match (tv stand, side table and kitchen table).

Barbara, the fireplace mantel does match the trim - all honey oak. I've thought about painting just the mantel and hearth white (since the doors are white) but I will not paint the neighboring built ins. My reasons for this are 1. they have the honey oak trim and I cannot afford to paint all the trim now and 2. I think it looks odd to have the cupbord doors mis matched (like by the fireplace white and in the kitchen honey oak - that will look weird). Thoughts on this? Should I paint just the mantel and hearth white like the doors?

The counter (not in the budget to be replaced) is white laminent. I love the idea of a backsplash but again not in the budget. How would one put a pattern above the counters? Do you have any examples of this?

I'm trying to come up with tiny inexpensive improvements that will give me a better space. Unfortunately we're on one income so the painting job is like a huge expense to me! New counter tops, a back splash, a new microwave, and replacing the boob lighs are just a dream for now. I may be able to buy a curtain rod and panels if I can sell the existing verticle blinds on Craigs List.

I'm still open to ideas on how to get light in while still maintaining privacy if I replace the verticle blinds.

Thank you so much for the feedback as I cannot afford to pay for design consultation.
January 31, 2013 at 12:05pm   
Aggie Purvinska
I think the oak is really bothering me, I like your furniture, your paint, everything. I think paint the trim white, including the mantle, and he two units in the family room, even look into painting the kitchen cabinets, either white or taupe...or drumroll... navy. Use color, like a blue or plum as your accent color. And most definitely replace the boob lights.

These are panel blinds from IKEA that you can use instead of the vertical blinds.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10702/
January 31, 2013 at 12:37pm     
Jayme H.
I would try to draw attention from the honey oak color, using colors that do not abisorb and reflect it. A few of the designers are offering free advise on this, and I would go for it. Maybe I am wrong, but any shade of yellow seems to reflect and bring out yellow. I have been looking all over at pics, and that Is what I am seeing...if you like the honey oak, go for it, but if you are trying to make things less yellow, I would go for a neutral that won't clash with your cabinets/but also won't bring out the yellowish tones. And also one that will flow nicely into the ajoining areas that are visible. I have had yellow in my kitchen, but my cabinets were white. I ike your home and hope you get a great result.
January 31, 2013 at 1:52pm     
elw4797
Thanks guys. I will not be painting the cabinets or trim at this time. If yellow walls will bring out too much orange in the woodwork, is there another light color besides various hues of beige that will work?

I want some color. Something light, freash and crisp! I'm so sick of looking at brown. All the suggesions above were shades of brown.
January 31, 2013 at 3:31pm   
Jayme H.
No...grey is not brown...tones of grey can come from many color families.
January 31, 2013 at 3:33pm   
Jayme H.
How about a blue?
January 31, 2013 at 3:34pm   
elw4797
The neighboring room is a beautiful blue, BM summer shower. I considered extending the color into this room as well but was concerned that

1. It would be too much blue (because 1/2 bath on the same level is a darker blue and son's room upstairs is yet another shade of blue).

2. Many people don't like blue next to honey oak.

You're right Jayme, grey isn't a brown. My painter friend had suggested a grey earlier. I guess I was looking to put some color into the room via the walls. But I could do grey and get color from curtains, throw pillows, etc.
January 31, 2013 at 3:58pm     
Jayme H.
I was thinking of a grey-bluish color...one that would tie into your blue..but I really think a grey would be better, and add in like you said...I also have these oak cabinets...I am painting mine eventually...
January 31, 2013 at 5:19pm   
elw4797
I'm torn because its sounds like bluw is not ideal for kitchens and yellow will draw out the yellow.
January 31, 2013 at 7:35pm     
Jayme H.
What about Revere Pewter..Benjamin Moore
January 31, 2013 at 7:47pm     
Trudi Moran
So, I like the grey tones others are suggesting but understand your desire for color. I'm not a designer but two reasons I'm commenting: I have similar honey oak cabinets (which I dream of demolishing) and I wanted & had a yellow paint. I went through several yellows & finally picked one, which I always hated. I now have Galapagos green on the walls and it's a hundred times better than the yellow.
Lastly, I also liked the idea of a greyish wall color with a darker blue on the cabinets.
January 31, 2013 at 8:46pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
If you paint the fireplace and the side cabinets..they will look like furniture. Paint only the wood surfaces, you would not need to paint any other trim. If you choose a nice greenish gray wall color everywhere, including the wall space around the fireplace, the entire area will look great. Try Photoshopping these ideas and you will see it.
February 1, 2013 at 1:43pm     
bgal231
I've had a similar issue trying to incorporate some light and cheery yellow into my hideous, old knotty pine kitchen. First, I think you'll find green easier to work with, but if you want yellow, here's my experience so far. It thought I could tone down my orange-y glow with a cool tone, too, but to my surprise, a cool, pale yellow looked sickly against the pine but a saturated, more orange-y or daffodil yellow really popped. It made me not hate the orange-y glow of the cabinets (and walls and ceiling!) so much. (Please note that I was trying out drapery fabric, not paint.)
February 1, 2013 at 2:14pm     
clyon
If you're looking to add color, I'd go green or blue to better contrast with the honey cabs and trim. I would also sample colors that are darker than you think you are looking for. Especially with the white countertops, I think you might be surprised that a darker color doesn't darken the room - the right color may actually brighten it quite a bit. Good luck!
February 1, 2013 at 2:29pm     
elw4797
Thank you all for the feedback. Maybe I just need to get my hands on some paint samples.
February 1, 2013 at 4:23pm   
elw4797
Someone just suggested BM Alpaca to me and in this example pic it does look nice next to the honey oak. Does it feel too brown though, looking at my current picture. Brown walls,.brown cubs, brown stuff. Should I paint the furniture?
February 1, 2013 at 4:53pm   
Valvorie Dunn
What if you brought in color with your accessories. Wall art, canisters, place mats & rugs. It would be cute if you painted your chairs. My daughter has walls about the same color as yours and she used it as a neutral backdrop for black, white & red. Don't know why you couldn't do that with other colors. Just a thought.
February 1, 2013 at 5:18pm   
PRO
design happens
Yellow is not the colour to go with honey oak. Look at CC520 - Florentine Plaster, neutral with a gray/green tinge (on the Brandon Beige chip but lighter). It usually works well with these cupboards or do a taupe colour CC490 Stone Hearth.

Good luck
February 1, 2013 at 5:29pm   
Jennie Harris
I too think a grey-blue or grey- green would be most flexible for future changes as you can afford them. I wonder if you could stencil a pattern on the backsplash with a slightly darker color from the same paint strip of whatever you choose? A simple repeating pattern could be nice. And tie colors together with accessories and fabric that are easy and inexpensive to change later.
February 1, 2013 at 7:13pm   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
If you want yellow my dear, I think you should have yellow!!!
It's just a matter of picking the best tint, tone, or shade of yellow for your particular space!!!
Yellow is the best hue for drawing and reflecting light around a space; so if you want more light, you are on the right track!
I pulled out my colour fans and I agree 100% with WinterRiver!!!
Philadelphia Cream (HC30) would look lovely in your space!!! Not only that, but it has a LRV (light reflectancy value) of 74.9%...that will make your room feel much brighter & warmer! (Which sounds like what you're hoping for!!)
Have fun with this and good luck!
Please post "after" pictures when you're done!!!
Caroline
February 1, 2013 at 8:00pm     
PRO
Houzz has some examples of kitchens painted in this colour. Beautiful!!
February 1, 2013 at 8:33pm     
PRO
P.S. If you're trying to minimize the orange of the oak, red, orange and yellow are the best way to do that! Grey, blue & green would make it stand out even more!!! :(
February 1, 2013 at 8:59pm     
cms9323
Take a look at BM Bennington Gray. Both my sister and I have it in our homes. It looks different all the time depending on lighting. Although it says it is gray it is really warm. I am not a big fan of cool tone grays. It would look great with your fireplace tile and your chair fabric.

I had Philadelphia Cream in my old house and it does have a yellow under tone which I don't think would look good with your tile or cabinets. I also had the vertical blinds and I finally switched to curtains and it looked so much better! Maybe not so good though with younger children.

I too love your chair fabric. What is it?
February 2, 2013 at 11:26am     
elw4797
Barbara Griffith Designs had a good idea that took me a bit to digest - paint the fireplace and built in.! I cannot paint all the trim or the kitchen right now but of course, painting the fireplace and built ins would make a big improvement! Thanks for suggesting that!!

So now I want to paint the walls AND fireplace/built ins. So I don't just need to decide one color but two!

It seems my options are to 1. paint everything the same color, 2. do the walls just a few shades lighter, or 3. paint the fireplace/built ins white. I think I want to eliminate option 3.

So maybe the built ins are where I can get a pop of color?
February 2, 2013 at 3:09pm   
Jayme H.
Show us what you do please!
February 7, 2013 at 5:46am   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
February 7, 2013 at 6:45am   
tallest
I'd paint the cupboards instead in white. Sounds like the orange of the wood is what really is bugging you, not anything else.
February 7, 2013 at 6:49am     
elw4797
I may have to postpone the repainting project. Our upstairs bathroom has a piping issue and apparently the only way to fix it is to go into the ceiling pictured in my first post. And the bid came in today at $900. :( I feel like we woukd need to fix the ceiling before we repaint the walls.
February 7, 2013 at 2:19pm   
Valvorie Dunn
Hate to hear that, but the kitchen looks very nice. Not so nice to have plumbing problems! Good luck.
February 7, 2013 at 4:07pm   
elw4797
If I can't afford the ceiling repair right now and thus will not repaint the walls at this time, I at least want to replace the verticleb blinds with some drapes. What color would you suggest?
February 9, 2013 at 4:28pm   
Valvorie Dunn
A shade or two lighter or darker than the walls always works.
February 9, 2013 at 4:41pm   
Valvorie Dunn
Country Curtains has more contempory styles now in wide widths.
February 9, 2013 at 4:43pm   
elw4797
Why, will I need a wide width to cover the slider?
February 9, 2013 at 4:54pm   
Valvorie Dunn
You will probably want one panel that you can pull to one side. In the catalog it says a 96" will cover sliding glass or French doors. It is called a slider panel #72739-DP. 96w x 84l is $169.50. Comes in natural, white, gold or khaki. You will need a rod & rings. Call them at 800-456-0321. They are very helpful. It's a family owned company in Stockbridge MA they also own the famous Red Lion Inn.
February 9, 2013 at 5:11pm   
Valvorie Dunn
You can make a rod to save some money if you have a Lowes or Home Depot near you.
February 9, 2013 at 5:14pm   
Jayme H.
I don't want to be a butt in ski...but u have a lot going on and it could be an option to wait until the other
issues are ironed out before spending on window treatments. Just hate to see u have to spend again when u change your wall colors...
February 9, 2013 at 5:22pm     
Robyn Buxton
BM. Cork
February 21, 2013 at 6:27pm   
elw4797
And I chose... BM papaya. The room feels so fresh and crisp now!
February 27, 2013 at 7:34pm   
Valvorie Dunn
Darn, Papaya isn't on my color fan. I can see where it would make you feel refreshed though. We'll need a picture at some point.
February 27, 2013 at 7:39pm   
elw4797
Okay...
February 27, 2013 at 7:40pm   
elw4797
pic
February 27, 2013 at 7:44pm     
elw4797
Another view
February 27, 2013 at 7:46pm     
cindz123
it would be nice to see an "after" photo
February 27, 2013 at 7:49pm   
elw4797
BM papaya. It is in the "off white" family.
February 27, 2013 at 7:53pm     
elw4797
You'll see I also replaced the verticle blinds with curtains and got a new chandelier over the table.
February 27, 2013 at 7:55pm     
Valvorie Dunn
I know you feel better. It's much brighter. And the kids are darling.
February 27, 2013 at 8:15pm