Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Unbalanced bedroom!
ann
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What should I put above bed. I'm afraid the room will look out of balance due to only one window. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann
Suggestions for new paint color welcome as well.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:02AM
decoenthusiaste
I don't see a view from that window and I see shadows that appear to be caused by another window on the right. How attached are you to the window? I think centering your bed under the peak of the ceiling would look much better, but depends on the other three walls we can't see. Have you considered draping a backdrop for the bed and sacrificing that window? Or you could drape that one and a faux one on the right to balance it as in pic #4. I've actually seen people put in false windows that look exactly like their real one but the pane is mirror.
Glenwood Residence
Relaxing Luxury
Mini Master

Suite Dreams
5 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:05AM
PRO
Shelton Interiors
Love the idea of curtain panels behind the bed to give the wood a bit of warmth. If you crave symmetry, you could probably find a tall-ish mirror that reflects the shape of the window, and hang it above the bedside table on right side. "Suite Dreams" is my favorite!
6 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:15AM
ann
Ok- I like the idea in the 4th picture. What about paint color, and then drapery color?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:22AM
PRO
Shelton Interiors
If you keep the bedding, select something with a different scale of pattern - small or very large stripe, depending on your tolerance for contemporary look. If you do center the bed under the center of the ceiling, you could paint the back wall darker, and have the curtain panels blend in, or stand out. Hard to select a color from online photos. So much depends on light exposure and personality of users! A cool blue? a warm yellow, or neutral? I have never seen "Shaker Beige" from Benjamin Moore look bad!
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:40AM
ann
Carolyn C- I really like your ideas for my living room. Any ideas here? Thx!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:28AM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Hi Ann. Here are six options - just meant to show you visually what the different treatments will look like. The one with the window on the right is actually something you will have to make or have made. You can source a window from a salvage shop and put in mirror to recreate the look of another window.

None are right or wrong, just a matter of personal preference

Also, I have put in larger lamps.
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 11:42AM
PRO
last two
3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 11:43AM
PRO
LeMaster Architects
You could play up the asymmetry and hang a linear piece of artwork that spans over the bed and the nightstand. You can have balance without symmetry.
3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 2:23PM
ann
Carolyn- Thank you! I really like number 3, my side will just be closed all the time! I like the look of the lamps in the pictures. Are they "gun metal" or ceramic? Are mint too short? I used them in the new house because tha'ts what I had.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 2:25PM
PRO
I think they are ceramic, they are from Uttermost - you can see them online - I think your lamps are a bit tiny in scale so try something larger scale that you can take back if you don't agree once they are there. Those panels in #3 are inverted box pleats and you can make them look really lovely by adding buttons etc. Or you can just purchase ready made, but the key is to get enough for it to look substantial and not skimpy. So 2 or 3 on each side depending on the thickness of the fabric.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 3:44PM
ann
Ah ha- I tend to like many of the things I see from Uttermost. Also found some nice lamps Murray Feiss Canyon Creek. Thank you once again!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 3:56PM
buddy6
What about a decal or painted wall of a tree that starts on the side without the window and the branches head towards the window. I'm not sure how to put on a photo when it's on another website.
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 4:04PM
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
LARGE MIRROR OR LARGE ARTWORK. IF THA ASYMMETRY BOTHERS YOU CREAT THE BALANCE BY MAKING A FALSE WINDOR--IE INSTALL MATCHING FULL LENGTH DRAPERIES ON THE EXISTING WINDOW AND AT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BED.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 4:56PM
ann
cool idea Buddy6 !
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 5:05PM
ann
Carol C- fond the lamp-alas- too pricey, but it gives me a starting point. Any idea about the mirror?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:23PM
PRO
It too was from Uttermost. :-) they have lovely stuff, but try some of the outlet stores or your Home Decor Shops.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 5:34PM
PRO
Janwillo, that's what is shown in the bottom two above, would work as well.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:37PM
crp1234
It looks like you have more windows in the room. If that is the case, I would remove the window - frame it in/drywall it and patch it from the outside. Other alternative is to put up a matching curtain (faux window) on the other side and give the illusion of a second window.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:38PM
yvonnecmartin
You could make your lamps larger by putting them on some sort of base and using larger shades.
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:42PM
PRO
Design Find
What's going on with the other walls in the room? Can you move the bed to a different wall? You have vaulted ceilings, but everything is down low, and that one lone window gives an asymmetrical look. I think the drapes might look funky because then you'll have a triangle of empty space above. Some artwork would solve the problem, and if you can relocate the bed, then the window issue is gone, too. Adding/deleting windows can get $$$.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:49PM
ann
Can not move the bed.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:53PM
PRO
Design Find
:-( darn. What about two huge floor mirrors on either side of the bed, which would cover up the window, create symmetry, and then maybe get a set of framed art and just take it straight across above the bed to add height? Here's an example of the mirror idea- kind of cool, I think! If the mirror isn't quite tall enough to cover the window, you could prop them both up on some kind of riser, which won't show because they'll be hidden by the night stands...
7 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:29PM
tsudhonimh
I would hang a mirror or picture on the other side of the bed, over the night stand - one the same size as the window, with a frame in a similar weight and color - to balance the room.

Or hand 12 small mirrors - balancing the 6-over-6 of the window panes.

Then keep calm and decorate on :)
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 4:55AM
PRO
Ann, the idea above with the two large floor mirrors is lovely as well and would certainly work nicely, but they have to be tall enough to clear the top of the frame and wide enough to clear the sides. If you don't want to change your bedding and go for an entirely different look I wouldn't recommend the more glitzy mirror on mirror. I'd go with a wood frame. You could also purchase two great old french doors and have mirror put in the back and that would work and look quite lovely and unique. They could even be quite rustic looking with the old chipped paint if you like that look.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 8:38AM
karah1969
Install another window, even things up. Its exactly how we have our bedroom and when your ready to put your bed (if possible) on another wall, a dresser with a mirror above also looks great between the two windows.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 3:32PM
Sandy Spencer
I to have My Bed in between 2 Windows, I like the Mirror's in Place of Windows.. It would make it seem bigger.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 7:54PM
kathleen MK
I'd go with something to balance the arrangement if you can't move the bed. A same size and framed piece of art or mirror would work. What about a bookcase or thin display case?
If you did opaque drapes the false one could hide thin storage: hooks for necklaces and scarves or belts.
I'd add something lightweight but decorative center high over the bed like a floral wreath or swag of sheer fabric. It could spill from a curtain pullback over the bed then drape over rods about the window and mirror.
I love the deep tone of your furnishings and the window wood doesn't match. if it and the base boards were painted white it would not stick out as much.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:36PM
Kelli Smith
I would suggest a little color change with the drapes and the bedspread I think. Something with green and blue to match the chest at the foot of the bed. But make sure the bedspread has some of that shade of red in it. Just highlights though.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:47PM