powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What can I do with this ugly free standing fireplace and ugly brick?
Donna Colvin-Smith
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have thought about putting bead board over the brick, it never gets hot from the propane stove, refacing is out of the question right now, painting it is just so cheap looking, I HATE IT, but love the heat this unit produces. HELP!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
What to do will not only depend on the safety factors involved, but on the style and type of decor you have. Can you post some more pictures of the space?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:10AM
PRO
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Regardless if you don't think it gets hot from the stove, unless the stove manufacturer states otherwise, NEVER put combustible material next to stove. You should check with a local fireplace company about the setbacks required for your area. Putting a combustible material near stove may also cancel out your insurance if ever you had a fire. Please check into this before making any decisions.
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:11AM
libunium
You might consider high heat paint on the brick. Bead-board sounds like it would not pass code.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 11:12AM
jenhendricks
stain (shiny or matte) or whitewash the brick
Family Room
Living Room
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:20AM
Ramona
painting brick is not cheap looking.

we need to see the room and your style
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 11:35AM
PRO
Frances Temple-West Architect
I think what Jen Hendricks recommended is a good idea. I especially like the whitewash idea. It would tone down the red and blend the brick into the surrounding walls. Check with the paint/stain manufacturer that it can be used it an application such as yours to be sure.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 11:39AM
PRO
L Decor Nanaimo
Take a look as this painted out brick fireplace and see what you think. There are so many options of paint and stains that are heat resistant.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 11:48AM
Donna Colvin-Smith
Thinking of replacing it with this type of stove. I am in the process of painting all my wood work white,
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:53PM
cinderellaslipper
You could resurface it and then choose some ceramic tiles to go over it, whatever style you fancy, the sky is the limit....%)
0 Likes   Thanked by Donna Colvin-Smith    February 15, 2014 at 4:02PM
janethumphreys
Judging by the white jugs and creamers plus your wanting to add beadboard, sounds like you are after a casual cottage style. A white stove would go more with your style but you should really paint or reface the brick with a light colour as well (no beadboard, you'll burn your house down). A white stove against the red brick will REALLY stand out. If you keep the black stove, paint out the bright brass strip with high heat black paint. Good luck!
1 Like   Thanked by Donna Colvin-Smith    February 15, 2014 at 6:22PM
pcmom1
I have a corner wood stove with a brick surround also. What I notice about yours is that the pipe seems to be such a small diameter. Could you make it seem less "cheap" by surrounding that pipe with a larger one?

Also wondering if you can blend the whole thing away more by painting the brick in a very dark brown or black.

And unlike a fireplace, don't make it a focal point. Turn your back to it in a furniture arrangement.

1 Like   Thanked by Donna Colvin-Smith    February 15, 2014 at 6:34PM
Donna Colvin-Smith
All really great ideas! Thanks everyone, I have been leaning towards doing the newer stone options from home depot, at least it would update it, and I agree I need to get a new stove, with a bigger pipe!
1 Like   February 16, 2014 at 11:23AM
groveraxle
Paint out the brass with high-heat paint. Cover the hearth with slate. Take a metal or stone surround all the way to the ceiling.
1 Like   February 16, 2014 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Small apartment layout troubles.....
So we are downsizing still have quite a bit of furniture...I...
Sink and cabinet dilemma
We decided to add dishwasher and the only place we...
Kitchen update
I counter top using existing oak cabinets plan on using...
How would you spend $10k to improve this kitchen?
I would love to hear you advice! We are finally ready...
How did you know you were ready to buy a house?
There are financial considerations, but also logistical...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.