Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What do I do with this awkward space?
Olivera
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
It's between my living and dining room. Right now I have my son's guitar parked there. Do I leave it and hang some artwork above? Do I remove the guitar and leave empty? Put something else?? Help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
We might make better suggestions if we saw all the space you're working with? My first thought would be to hang drapes at the window and that would probably fill the void you're feeling with it. Post pics of the dining area so we can be helpful.
4 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:41AM
PRO
Oriental Weavers
Place a plant or tall floor lamp with artwork or mirror behind it. Curtains would help frame and divide the space more. Good luck!
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 11:41AM
Olivera
More pics! Thanks!!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:43AM
cypress
I would clear the room of all the musical items, frame the window with drapery panels,add something decorative to the top of the credenza. I think the print over your sofa is hung too high.
6 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:49AM
Olivera
@cypress: thank you! What would too place on the credenza. That's my next project!
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 11:58AM
PRO
Brian's Home Repairs
I would consider placing a high shelving unit / bookcase. It would separate the two areas and add more storage space. The guitar then could be placed in the shelving unit as well.
5 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:14PM
decoenthusiaste
The additional pics help. Ideally, the buffet should be under the painting and all the windows should be draped floor to crown. Think of turning your table, and if necessary swag and lengthen the chain of the chandy so it remains centered over the table. Your rugs may be the wrong sizes. The one under the table looks to be what you need for the sofas to sit with their front feet on, but the one in the living area looks too small for either application. Would it work somewhere else? You don't need the two small art pieces with the large piece in the dining room. They look to be more suited to a bath or bedroom. When/if you move the buffet, the piece of art should be about 5" above it. If you try this switch, you might move the sofa a bit closer to the front window and put the arc lamp on the dining room side of it, which will also fill that space you are worried about. Then rehang the art above the sofa to be centered on the sofa, not the wall, at about 5-8" above the back of the sofa. Here are some rug suggestions from homedecorators.com to spice it up and go with the art.
3 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:32PM
charleee
You could also move the buffet to the back side of the sofa, and place a cozy chair under the window for those times when you just need to take a break from the cooking and ....breathe!
4 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:38PM
christinacarte9
Open up the space, ya know what I mean? :) if you are open to the idea of painting the room, use light and cream colors. I did that for my room and it made it look so much bigger!
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:40PM
cypress
I think you could start with adding buffet lamps on either side of the credenza, then any type of art piece that you like, a large bowl, vase or a tray with assorted items, a real plant would also work since it would have light from the window.
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:42PM
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
I like the idea of adding a high shelving unit. I would make sure it doesn't have a closed back about the couch area to keep the open feel of the space. Maybe something similar to this, it could also be used to store the guitar and add storage for entertaining your guests.

1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:47PM
nononanna
Drapes, move the server, a picture over the server with something tall sitting on the server as well and lighting! Don't you need lamps? If you had a at least a free standing lamp next to the sofa and drapes on the window, the space would be useful and pretty.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:57PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Leave the furniture where it is. First paint the walls all the same color..I would choose the grey color. Remove all items from the buffet + guitar. Ad a brightly colored rug to both spaces..same pattern..in the living room have it also go under the chaise portion of sofa. Hang drapery panels (maybe the color of your sofa or just darker than your walls) solid color off the sides of the living room window..hang them as high as you can. Using the same fabric make a Roman shade for the window in the dining area..also hang it high, so when pulled up it barely covers the top of the window frame. Move the arched lamp to the other side of the sofa and add a small table with large lamp to the orig. space. All artwork is way too small. Over the sofa add 6-8 framed alike large (3 over 3 or 4 over 4) the bottom should be no more than 8-10" of the back of the sofa. On the dining wall, hang a large round framed mirror centered on your chandelier. Hang 2 pictures (stacked) on each side of it. Pillows on sofa vivid colors from your rug. Like pillows on your sofa now (green & white) maybe find rugs with that color in them.
3 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 1:23PM
Olivera
@decoenthusiaste: love the rugs! tx
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 3:19PM
janishill
You need drapery panels hung high and wide (see illustration)

All of your art work is hung to high...and the two smaller pictures in the dining room are spaced much to far away from the center picture. There should only be about 2" between them. But first drop the center picture down so the bottom of the frame is only about 2" higher than the back of the chair. That way if you are standing or sitting you can still see and enjoy it.

The picture over the sofa should only be between 4" - 6" up from the back of the sofa.

Try a lamp at each end of the buffet and a long ,low wooden bowl full of fruit (if you and your son will each it!) or a green plant, or even a grouping of candles.

Hope to see updates!
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 4:02PM
Olivera
@janishill: do you think lamps will be too much with the chandelier?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:46PM
centaurita
Nice room divider!
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:56PM
janishill
No. The lamps won't compete with the chandy. Try short, squatty lamps in silver or clear glass. Either would add a bit of sparkle to draw the eye. Then no one will notice the area you feel is empty. :-)
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 9:13PM
Olivera
@anyone:: what type of centerpiece on the dining room? If any??
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:58AM
janishill
A mirror with different size candles, a large clear vase with branches, a tray with candles , a row of low planters with wheat grass,a cloche with interesting items, a glass bowl with fruit (if you will eat it), an orchid, small glass vases with sand and a tea light candle in each, etc. Use your imagination. Play around with different ideas until you like what you see.

Here's a link showing various ideas: https://www.google.com/search?q=contemporary+centerpieces+dining+room&hl=en&tbo=u&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-c8LUaaHNMjL0AHIyIC4Cg&ved=0CGIQsAQ&biw=1007&bih=501
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 6:27AM
janishill
Drat! Forgot to attach images...
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 6:30AM
nononanna
Not too complicated, though. something you can either leave on the table when using it for meals, or that is easily moved off of the table just during mealtime.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 3:54PM
Olivera
@everyone: here are the latest updated. Would love to know thoughts!
5 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 4:20PM
cypress
Love the improvements, you are on your way!
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 4:27PM
Olivera
@cypress: thanks! I did 3 of the 4 things you suggested :) I'm hesitating with drapes because I had drapes there before and I love the clean look minus the drapes and the way the window frame matches the shape of the lamp shades on the credenza. What do you think of the paintings in the dining room? I love the middle one but the wall looks a little bare without the two beside it.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 4:34PM
cypress
Hi oliverac21, Happy some of my suggestions worked. If you like the window with a clean uncluttered look, and have tried drapes before, leave it as is. From your photo of the dining room, I only see 1 small painting. Maybe you could take another.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 4:40PM
Olivera
@cypress:
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 4:44PM
cypress
The photos you posted show the big painting in the middle of the 2 smaller ones, is that how you have it now? You might want to hang the smaller ones closer to the big one. There seems to be a lot of space between them. I also think the large would look good by itself.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 4:54PM
PRO
Paolo Monjes of J. Hetinger Interiors
put a shallow depth desk behind the sofa w/ a cube ottoman as a seat. the desk top will give a great opportunity to put a fabulous lamp and accessories. claim that space and don't let it go dead.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 5:16PM
centaurita
Wow - you have already made it so much more attractive! Nice :)
As Cypress suggested, the large peice looks good alone. I would take it over to right a bit centering it behind the two chairs (square with the table) and move the smaller ones to beside the window on either side. I might also put a couple of small 3D shelves in their place and set something on them that relates to the colors in the painting.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 7:34PM
Olivera
@janishill: what do you think if the lamps?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:58AM
PRO
Galleria Place
Some art work would do very nicely. I have found the perfect piece to compliment the musician. http://www.bargainbacker.com/Benzara-Designer-Instrument-Wall-dcor-For-The-Stylish-Musician
Here's a coupon 1savebb13 expires 2/15/13
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 6:01AM
Olivera
@everyone: what do you think of these drapes? They are charcoal, they are the ones that I had up before and did not like. I actually think they look pretty good now. Should I maybe go with something lighter?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:13PM
Olivera
Here's a pic!
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 3:14PM
janishill
They are great! I would move the rod up so it almost touches the ceiling though. See illustration posted above.
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 5:31PM
Olivera
@janishill: thanks! You are right, I used the holes that were drilled before and it looks awkward somehow. Do you think it will look good once I adjust the height?
3 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:09PM
janishill
Put the rod up higher and spread it out as far as it will go. When you have rehung the drapes spread them open enough to touch the outside of the rod and just kiss the window frame. They are going to look specatular! :-)

You have a bit too many itmes on the buffet. Just 3 centered between the lamps will be plenty.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 7:10PM
amgraham
i dont see it as an awkward space. not every part of the house needs a picture or something on the floor. remove instruments and just leave it clear i say
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 4:57AM
7lexi7
That looks great! The drapes tie it together.
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 5:17AM
nononanna
The only reason to leave them where they are is if they're really short - does the buffet hide the bottomof the drapes? If so, you don't need to worry about length.

If you use the instruments all the time, it's nice to have them out, but if they're just decoration, probably not needed.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 5:21AM
Olivera
@nononanna: good point. They touch the floor right now and the buffet does not totally hide the bottom if the drapes. So I guess I should leave them as is unless I get longer drapes. My son does play guitar, but Moved it to another area beside my daughter's piano :)
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 6:10AM
cypress
Love the drapery panels, adds so much to the space!
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 9:06AM
Olivera
Thank you!! Anything else I can do to make living or dining room look WOW?
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 2:51PM
janishill
Have you lowered the pictures? That is the # 1 decorating mistake people make. :-)

Also you might turn the rug in the living room so it runs cross ways instead of up and down.
3 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 6:29PM
Olivera
@janishill, I did lower the one in the living room, does it still look too high? I measured the rug to place it crosswise but it is too short to go underneath the entire length. What to do? Still looking for a centerpiece...would love to change everything but not in the budget :)
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 7:12PM
decoenthusiaste
Great drapes! Little by little... You'll get it tied together. The center of artwork that hangs alone should be at 60" above the floor. If with furniture keep it within 4-10" above the piece depending on weight and visual heaviness of the two items (frame and furniture.)
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 7:20PM
Olivera
@decoenthusiaste: thanks! So I need to lower the art exactly 2". Just measured :)
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 7:38PM
mona21
Hi! What is the paint color in your room?
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 7:53PM
Amy Thompson
Maybe consider changing dining room with living room.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:08PM
Melanie Hon
If the living room rug doesn't fit rotated, then at least push it under the couch even if it hits the back wall so it looks more square with the couch and the rug should be under the couch on each side (doesn't have to be a lot, just not to see any floor between the couch and rug. Right now it's a little like a bowling lane. I also find the cube ottoman where you have it a little odd. I really like the plant and the chair you added. Maybe after you move the couch you can angle the chair so it faces the couch at a 45 degree angle and put the the ottoman to the side. (does it flip to reveal a serving tray?) I also like the new location of the lamp, the paint on the walls, your artwork and your lamps on the credenza. :) The drapes are a nice touch too. You are doing great!!
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:27PM
Olivera
@mona: Hi, the paints I used are Benjamin Moore Spring Dust and Moonshine :)
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 9:02AM
Olivera
@Melanie: thanks for kudos and suggestions, I will try that. I am honestly thinking to find another rug, just not sure what colour. Maybe something colourful like some other folks suggested. The ottoman doesn't flip, but still can be used to set a drink upon.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 12:45PM
Olivera
@janishill and everyone: do you like any of these centrepieces for dining room?
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 12:48PM
Olivera
@Melanie: I tried moving rug, chair and ottoman. What do you think?
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 1:14PM
Melanie Hon
Ooh! I think that looks much better! The rug acts as an anchor now. As for the centrepiece for the dining room, my personal preference are the red flowers as they make me notice the painting more. But any of them are good really. Great job!
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 1:23PM
sayboone
Looks great, Oliverac21! I'm so glad you found a way to use the metal lamp; I remember your earlier post. I agree with Melanie that the red flowers are the best centerpiece! Maybe you could get something similar for your coffee table to tie the spaces together.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 1:29PM
cypress
Hi Oliverac21 The rearranged living room grouping looks great! The rug really anchors the furniture in this position. I still think the painting over the sofa needs be lowered about 6", and then I think you will be done!!!
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 1:40PM
Olivera
@cypress: thanks! I lowered the painting exactly 6" against the will of the rest of my family members lol. I love it!!
4 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 2:18PM
cypress
You made my day! Looks Great!
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 2:25PM
Olivera
Yay!! Mine too!!!
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 2:26PM
Olivera
Thank you to everyone for all of your suggestions!! I'm really happy with the way everything is looking. A few questions: is it me or does the floor in front of the tv look a little bare? Also,should I change the chandelier? Should I add any more art anywhere? Any other final suggestions? THANK YOU
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 8:55PM
ktiquet
The orange vase is great a little small maybe some candles? Great space
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 8:59PM
Melanie Hon
I think the floor in front of the TV looks fine. A few simple changes has made quite a transformation! Your home is very welcoming. One final suggestion: is that a clock by the staircase? It looks like it would look good on the wall behind the tv as it is silver like your lamp and tv stand. Just a thought. :)
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 9:09PM
nononanna
Your house now looks as good as the pictures in your ideabook! My question is - how do you keep your desk so neat? You've done a great job teaching your son, that's for sure!
2 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 4:10AM
Olivera
@MelanieI tried the clock above the tv, it does look nice! I still feel like there is something that would look even better. Just have to find it :)
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 6:37AM
Olivera
@nonoanna: thank you so much! You have all been really helpful. There is not a lot of space around the desk for making a mess :)
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 6:43AM
Olivera
I have another beautiful painting and I was looking for a space for it. What about behind the lamp?
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 6:48AM
nononanna
I like it. Great colors. It could be a tad higher, but I like it.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 7:26AM
sayboone
Love your desk chair!

I'd either put the new painting over the TV, or in the place by the stairs where the clock was originally. I think it competes with the painting over the couch where you have it now.
2 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:08AM
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
I would put it behind the TV or above the stairs if you choose to move the clock behind the TV.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 9:32AM