Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Tiny Bathroom - No storage space
designnovice44
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am renting a condo and the bathroom is extremely tiny with no storage space besides the cabinet under the sink. Any ideas on how to decorate and make this more functional? Thanks so much
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
alefantee
Well, instead of having a shower tub, you could make it a single size regular shower and creat a small yet functional cabinet on the other half of the wall.
January 31, 2013 at 12:05PM   
Patricia Pelgrims
Shelves above the WC would be a start.
January 31, 2013 at 12:07PM   
designnovice44
I don't own the condo and can't remove the tub but shelves would work. Thanks so much
January 31, 2013 at 12:08PM   
Aggie Purvinska
Remove the Mirror and Instead install a medicine cabinet, let it extend past the vanity over the toilet, so something like 50"w, or two medicine cabinets side by side.
January 31, 2013 at 12:08PM     
designnovice44
Thanks so much - I am totally new at this so what color cabinets should I look for
January 31, 2013 at 12:16PM   
Patricia Pelgrims
Also a nice crsip shower curtain might lighten the mood.
There must be some kind of contraption that you could hang from the curtain rail too for storage. Maybe have a look at the ikea website.
Also above and/or below the towel rail you could put up some sort of shelving/cabinet.
January 31, 2013 at 12:19PM     
Patricia Pelgrims
Keep the colour of cabinats/shelves bright (ie white)
January 31, 2013 at 12:21PM     
designnovice44
Thanks so much everyone
January 31, 2013 at 12:25PM   
charleee
It's a very pretty bathroom, at least you have a good starting point! You could keep a basket next to the toilet with toilet paper, if room allows.
January 31, 2013 at 12:35PM   
mrsmckay
Maybe try even getting some shadow boxes for over the toilet and you could even do some over the shower/ tub they are usually cheaper than medicine cabinets and give you a lot of versatility as far as decor or storage they are very easy to build as well if you are handy and don't want to spend a lot of money... Also def to with white accents and shower curtain maybe a beachhead type theme not touristy but white accents and some glass apacothary jars that can hold your small things like cotton balls and such... There are def a lot of options out there in the way of decorative storage..Hope that helps a little kinda vague but I figure give you some ideas and you can put your personal spin on it
January 31, 2013 at 12:39PM     
Patricia Pelgrims
You could also hang your toilet paper holder on the vanity unit, that would give you more room for an undeep cabinet.
A towel rail on the vanity unit door instead of on the wall next to the mirror) and another shelf or pegs on the righthand side wall. Pegs can be used for necklaces, etc
I've just browsed the IKEA USA website (sorry, I am in Belgium) and they have very nifty stuff for bathrooms.
Have a look around and I'm sure you'll see something somewhere that will suite your bathroom.
Be careful with depth of cabinets because you still want to be able to sit on the lavatory without bending your knees backwards. haha !
January 31, 2013 at 12:48PM     
charleee
This would be a great way to add interest, and also a place to hang towels over the toilet. If you're clever you could paint it yourself: [houzz=
]
January 31, 2013 at 12:50PM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
The best cabinet for your purposes is the IKEA Godmorgen cabinet which is only 14cm deep. You could easily hang one above your toilet and another over your vanity. The beauty is that they are mirror all the way round which will bounce light and visually expand your bathroom whilst adding lots of storage space. They come in various widths http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10218999/

Also you can always add stick on mirror tiles on the opposite side of the wall (they are cheap as dirt) and then paint them. To peel them off tile you only need a stanly knife blade and acetone - when you come to leave...
April 1, 2014 at 4:13AM